The River Why - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The River Why Reviews

October 26, 2015
On Netflix, more than 270,000 viewers have rated this movie an average of 3.5 stars. That is about the same as iTunes and Amazon. I'm not sure why rotten tomatoes has it so wrong.
August 25, 2015
Really loved it!!! Good story, well acted, great characters....totally enjoyed every minute.
August 23, 2015
Great love story set in a beautiful location. Anyone who enjoys the outdoors and romance will enjoy this movie!
July 3, 2015
Lovely story, beautifully told. This is a gorgeous setting in which talented actors bring us a tale of the outdoors as well as the human internal landscape. Well done.
April 1, 2015
Amber Heard is a dime, but unfortunately this film isn't even worth that.
January 12, 2014
Nice coming of age story with fishing as it's central element, but used as a metaphor for a philosophic point of view. Beautiful scenery.
October 25, 2013
Excellent cinematography and a beautiful supporting actress.....with a simple and refreshing storyline....3 stars
September 3, 2013
I can handle slow moving movies, but this one went nowhere. If you are the outdoors type, this may appeal to you for the river scenes. For those who would actually like at least some kind of a plot or storyline, this will bore you to sleep. It almost did me in...not terrible, just super slow, and uneventful.
½ August 14, 2013
This is a movie with some truly amazing natural scenery. The story was a little slow, but overall this was worth a watch for the self-discovery of a young angler.
July 7, 2013
Well done if greatly streamlined adaptation of the book. Zach Gilford is fantastic as Gus.
May 26, 2013
Likeable enough characters in a bland story. Beautiful cinematography. Worth seeing once.
March 28, 2013
So looking forward to this.
February 5, 2013
Should never have been made. What a disgrace to the book.
½ January 31, 2013
It's not the genre of movie I usually like, all nature and thinking. The story is not existing, the dialogues are few and, except the one in the billiard room, not interesting at all. The comment of my brother was: "they put a nice chick, otherwise no one would watch it". Well...I perfectly agree, but, I don't know why, I don't want to fail it completely.
November 24, 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed it.
½ October 30, 2012
too long for this script and a bit boring
September 8, 2012
I am a die hard fly fisherman so that was what compelled me to watch this film. It just lacked substance even though it tried so hard to create some with its philosophic characters. It just seemed so disjointed and lacked any real continuity save for the fly fishing and this movie wanted to be so much more. It is like a "River Runs Through It" wanna be and falls so disappointingly far from it that the only reedeming factor that saves it from sinking to the bottom of the river is the breath taking scenery and the actors, except the script fails them terribly. It's a shame, I had high expectations when I embarked on my viewing session.
½ August 18, 2012
It's hard to ruin a story about fishing for me, but the acting is so bad in this film that I found every part of the film utterly unbelievable.
½ August 18, 2012
Tries to be profound, but the acting is mediocre. Beautiful landscape.
LWOODS04
½ August 7, 2012
"I like the actors Zach Gilford, William Hurt, and Amber Heard. BUT this film did neither justice and I am having such a hard time understanding why they would take on such a boring plain film. It has absolutely nothing happening. The story is snooze worthy. I only picked because of the three actors I mentioned above, but I'm starting to rethink that whole idea of watching a movie just because you like the actor/acress. I can't for the life of me think of anything positive to say about the film other then if you like fishing, this might be a movie you can relate to or enjoy possibly."