The Road - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Road Reviews

½ April 3, 2016
The Road has its heart in the right place, but some lazy storytelling moments makes it an uneven experience.
½ August 25, 2015
A bizarre, eerie, creepy, horror-supernatural with a dose of crime drama. A foreign film that definitely works on many levels. Admittedly the start was a bit slow but from then on the intensity grew. The Filipino actors delivered and were very convincing in their roles. My appreciation for for foreign films keeps rising!

Recommended for horror/supernatural fans
June 14, 2015
This was a horror... As in horrible... Don't watch...
½ May 19, 2015
A brilliant and terrifying horror film that reveals the story at a perfect pace. The script is great and very interesting. A highly disturbing and very thought provoking film. 91/100
November 26, 2014
Heavy on a normal person's eyes, but if a viewer who is artistic and deep-thinker, this is a film for you... this movie has a sense of thick texture on ambiance, intense yet mild to the heart and massive effect on the soul that will keep you watching...
October 16, 2014
Has a great story some great scares and an added cultural benefit which avoids the generic US scary movie.
October 5, 2014
Genuinely frightening. Eerie spooky stuff.
December 1, 2013
slow pacing plus so many unanswered questions. they assume they're audience were idiots.
November 19, 2013
. . .a supernatural psychological thriller that leaves its audience in a state of somberness, but in a good way. It's a film with such powerful intent that affects its overall tone. It wants you to experience it and get the point of the whole setup.
½ October 26, 2013
Filipinos really make great horror flicks, but I'm not sure about this one. More like a drama.
½ September 22, 2013
The third act is compelling on its own while the first two feel overstretched. The climactic patching doesn't even feel cohesive enough to justify the three episodes that make the film. It may disappoint those expecting a scream-fest like The Grudge, but those willing to sit through several tedious parts in exchange for some creeps and psychological thrills might enjoy this one.
½ September 13, 2013
Here's a film that explores the Gothic and thriller genres, fusing them to make a really terrifying experience for the audience--Perfectly Shot Eerie Atmosphere!!
September 8, 2013
I think this is the first Philipino movie I've seen and it's a lot better than I was told Philipino movies were. It's nicely presented in three parts each one jumping back a decade to explain what happend in the last, which is an imaginative format that's still pretty simple to follow. Good horror / thriller with some bits that will stay in your head for a while.
½ June 30, 2013
THE ROAD is pretty disappointing at best. Just a total bore that kept reminding of other far better films.
½ May 16, 2013
The Road (Yam Laranas, 2011)

I am a heap-big fan of Filipino director Yam Laranas' Sigaw (which he came over to America to remake in 2008 as The Echo, and the American version, while nowhere near as good as the original, actually ain't half bad). The Road is the only other movie of his I've had a chance to catch, and I have to say that given Sigaw it was something of a disappointment. Though I rush to add that were this directed by some no-name making his first feature, I'd probably be telling you "hey, this is derivative, but it's stylish and pretty cool," so take that with as much salt as necessary.

Plot: An abandoned marginal road where bad things seem to happen is examined during three separate incidents: in 2008, 1998, and 1988. The wraparound story concerns Luis (Patient X's TJ Trinidad), a newly-decorated cop at loggerheads with his sergeant because of his unconventional tactics. As Luis and the police assisting him uncover the successively older crimes, Luis becomes more and more obsessed with the case...

It's not bad stuff, and I will admit that I totally did not see the Big Reveal(TM) coming at all. In fact, the only real problem with The Road is that there's nothing at all new here; Laranas has just taken the various pieces of standard Asian horror films and glued them together, albeit very stylishly. (Compare to Sigaw's wonderful domestic-disturbance ghosts or Patient X using the relatively rare aswang [rare, at least, as a horror movie monster] as his antagonist.) Laranas delivers up another slice of stylish, well-filmed, well-acted horror here, but it isn't anything you haven't seen before. ** 1/2
April 27, 2013
One of the best Filipino horror movies I have seen!!!
½ April 6, 2013
Disappointment. Not scary at all. Boring to watch.
March 21, 2013
This is NOT the film based on the Cormac McCarthy novel. Instead, it is a well-done and creepy Filipino psychological horror flick. Its impact is helped by its narrative structure, following three stories, each one taking place progressively earlier and shining additional light on the proceeding stories. Ultimately, it is an exploration of the long-term effects of mistreatment. Worth a look.
½ February 28, 2013
a very eerie and sometimes creepy movie. Not exactly what it reads off to be, comes off seeming a cop investigating but has a different way of going about the story. it is a bit on the predictable side and has holes in the plot but nothing's perfect. a nice creepy movie for a watch.
February 8, 2013
One part horror, two parts crime drama. Interesting.