The Rolling Stones: Charlie Is My Darling - Ireland 1965 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Rolling Stones: Charlie Is My Darling - Ireland 1965 Reviews

½ July 13, 2015
Vintage Rolling Stones footage appears both rare but also very poor quality and often not very compelling. Filmed as they were an emerging band in 1965 on a tour of Ireland. More of a miss-mash of footage joined together without much direction or cohesion.
April 16, 2015
Really enjoyable early Stones footage.
January 10, 2015
An illuminating and entertaining music documentary.

Covers the Rolling Stones' 1965 tour of Ireland. Features concert footage, backstage and hotel scenes and interviews with the band. At the time the Stones were still more a blues/R&B band, rather than the rock superstars they would later become. All other Stones films I have seen were in the rock days, and there's a difference.

Here the Stones, though obviously big in the music world - just see the fans adoration, especially from the young girls - seem to still have a degree of innocence and are almost shocked at how popular they are. They still don't really think their fame and popularity are permanent. There's almost a lack of self-confidence on their part, especially from Charlie Watts.

Also interesting to see that some of the standout Stones features are already there. Most particularly, Jagger's stage performance is all movement, swagger and bravado - that came early. Plus you see the natural musical ability of Keith Richard(s) and the shyness of Charlie Watts.

The interviews, particularly with Jagger, are quite illuminating. You can see they are not addle-brained louts, but young men who think about their art, what has come before and where it is going.

A relatively unique Stones experience.
½ November 11, 2013
I wonder if Mick and Keef jammed every night on the road, like the way we saw in this film. No matter what, they've got talents, and it's quite obvious.
February 3, 2013
Very intimate, early Stones.
December 22, 2012
Bueno el docu de los Stones...
December 2, 2012
The live footage alone is essential - easily the best glimpse we have of the Stones back when Brian Jones was a vital part of the band.
November 13, 2012
If you're a real stones fan you will enjoy this innocent footage immensely while grinning ear to ear