The Room (2003)

The Room (2003)

TOMATOMETER

——

AUDIENCE SCORE

Critic Consensus: A bona fide classic of midnight cinema, Tommy Wiseau's misguided masterpiece subverts the rules of filmmaking with a boundless enthusiasm that renders such mundanities as acting, screenwriting, and cinematography utterly irrelevant. You will never see a football the same way again.

The Room Videos

The Room Photos

Movie Info

This film centers on Johnny, a man who has it all; great friends, a good job, and a gorgeous fiancée named Lisa. But Lisa's innocent act masks the fact that she's looking to bring Johnny down, and her manipulations are tearing Johnny apart. As Lisa informs her cancer-ridden mother, Claudette, that Johnny hit her (and he did not hit her, that is bull$&*t, he did not!), Johnny's best friend, Mark, finds his resistance to Lisa's seductive charms weakening. Meanwhile, local orphan Denny looks up to Johnny, and needs the older man's help after the teen rips off a drug dealer. What kind of drugs? It doesn't matter. Then guys play football in tuxedos, because you can play football anywhere. This movie is seriously not to be missed.
Rating:
R (for sexuality, language and brief violence)
Genre:

Robyn Paris
as Michelle
Show More Cast

Critic Reviews for The Room

All Critics (21) | Top Critics (3)

As someone who's watched more bad movies than you can imagine, I'm mostly immune to the so-bad-it's-good aesthetic, though I can see how, viewed in a theater at midnight after a few drinks, this might conjure up its own hilariously demented reality.

Full Review… | October 20, 2011
Chicago Reader
Top Critic

The Room, has been maligned as one of the most inept movies ever made when in fact it is a sardonic comedy about sexual politics in the age of terror.

Full Review… | March 11, 2010
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Top Critic

Given audience reaction at screening attended, pic may be something of a first: A movie that prompts most of its viewers to ask for their money back -- before even 30 minutes have passed.

Full Review… | June 2, 2008
Variety
Top Critic

If there is a 21st-century Edward D. Wood Jr., it is probably Tommy Wiseau.

Full Review… | June 18, 2016
Flavorwire

What puts "The Room" in a class of its own is its overabundant idiocy. While you're still gasping at one of the film's moronic lines or vagrant plot knots, another one rises up to smack you in the head.

Full Review… | April 23, 2015
Reason Online

Trust me, you've gotta check this thing out at least once, especially if you like football.

Full Review… | April 17, 2015
ChrisStuckmann.com

Audience Reviews for The Room

Behold, ladies and gentlemen, the new Ed Wood of the 21st century, a guy so laughably inept in just about everything (his acting is atrocious) that he made me even feel sorry for him - but then I only need to think about how misogynist this awful movie is to not care anymore.

Carlos Magalhães
Carlos Magalhães

Poorly written, acted and executed, yet entertaining to an extent amidst all the disaster. The Room, though sacred and notorious for one Tommy Wiseau, is so terrible it's great in its cult-like way. 1/5

Eugene Bernabe
Eugene Bernabe

½

Generous, caring Johnny is beloved by everyone---everyone except for his sociopathic fiancée Lisa, who decides to seduce his best friend, leading to incompetently acted tragedy. It takes special skills to appreciate a movie this bad; only you can say if you're interested or not. I'm not sure I've ever been as embarrassed on another human being's behalf as I am for triple-threat Tommy Wiseau, who humiliates himself here as a director, writer and (especially) actor.

Greg S
Greg S

The Room Quotes

Discussion Forum

Discuss The Room on our Movie forum!

News & Features