The Runner (2015)

TOMATOMETER

AUDIENCE SCORE

Critic Consensus: No consensus yet.

The Runner Videos

The Runner Photos

Movie Info

In the aftermath of the BP oil spill, an idealistic but imperfect New Orleans politician finds his plans of restoration unraveling as his own life becomes contaminated with corruption, scandal and deceit.
Rating:
R (for language and some sexual material)
Genre:
Action & Adventure , Art House & International , Documentary , Drama , Science Fiction & Fantasy , Special Interest
Directed By:

Moses Millman
as Luke Harbor
Show More Cast

Critic Reviews for The Runner

All Critics (34) | Top Critics (17)

Everyone loves Nicolas Cage the bug-eyed lunatic. Nicolas Cage the serious actor, that's a tougher sell.

Full Review… | November 2, 2015
Time Out
Top Critic

The Runner never approaches the keen insight and social satire of political films such as The Candidate, Primary Colors or Bulworth.

August 27, 2015
Chicago Sun-Times
Top Critic

Stark repeatedly squanders the decent supporting cast, revealing scant backstory that would enhance the often vague character motivation on display.

Full Review… | August 7, 2015
Hollywood Reporter
Top Critic

These plot elements, and the actors, have all the makings of a truly juicy and thought-provoking political melodrama. So it's dispiriting to see filmmaker Stark create such a weird, jagged hash out of them.

RogerEbert.com
Top Critic

Cage's performance is as fuzzy as his character's sense of bearings.

Seattle Times
Top Critic

A hollow, listless political drama that could have been a contender.

Los Angeles Times

Audience Reviews for The Runner

So boring. Full disclosure, I watched like only 20 minutes of this and holy shit I started falling asleep. I expect Nic Cage's films, whether they're good or bad (mostly the latter these days, but that's neither here nor there) to be entertaining. I wouldn't call this a bad film, although I might have ended up feeling that way had I watched the whole thing. It just doesn't do a good job of keeping your interest.

Stephen Skudlarek
Stephen Skudlarek
½

A thought-provoking political drama, The Runner explores the allures of power and corruption. Nicolas Cage stars as a Louisiana congressman who champions the recovery efforts after the 2010 BP oil spill, but he's soon brought down by a sex scandal and must struggle to rebuild his life. While it's an interesting character study, the plot's fairly mundane and predictable. Also, the pacing is rather slow and doesn't really build any tension. Yet despite the film's weaknesses, The Runner provides an intriguing look at the nature of politics.

Dann Michalski
Dann Michalski

I attended the sneak preview last night in the New York, and I was impressed. I always appreciate films that juxtapose important issues with a fictional human element. The Runner successfully did that, mixing a documentary insight into the BP oil spill's effects while also remaining a character study of a corrupt politician. This film came at the right time - the spill happened 5 years ago, and people have forgotten about the trauma it caused. I hope this film reminds people of the spill's lasting effects. Nicolas Cage is a mesmerizing actor, who has done a ton of crap lately, but here he displayed that he can still act. Similar to Joe, Cage strayed away from his typical madman role, playing a vulnerable and human version of Frank Underwood (House of Cards). There are a few other good character actors in this, especially Peter Fonda. The movie runs on the short side - it's definitely worth a watch.

Harris Gurny
Harris Gurny

Discussion Forum

Discuss The Runner on our Movie forum!

News & Features