The Salesman (Forushande) Reviews

• Sep 27, 2019

Definitely not a thriller. A slow, cerebral film, well made. But don't expect suspense or any thrills.

• Jul 09, 2019

An absolutely stunning drama about the effects of extreme trauma on both the traumatized and their loved ones, and the ineffective nature of vengeance. Farhadi is a filmmaker who always seems to know exactly how much to reveal to an audience without being either too opaque or too obnoxious. The live performance motifs throughout really elevate the actuality in the characters' lives. A heavy piece of tragic brilliance.

• Jan 23, 2019

1/22/2019 The Separation set a very high bar for any movie that follows from Asghar Farhadi, and personally this film did not quite live up. Still, the story is air tight and, though not as complex as his other film, it still was able to showcase Iranian customs to its very appreciative foreign audience.

• Dec 27, 2018

If you like films by Ingmar Bergman or Yasujir? Ozu you will like this movie. I am consistently surprised at the artistry of Iranian cinema.

• Sep 15, 2018

Superbly acted. Farhadi ambitiously explores complex themes in this film. While compelling for the most part, its contrived drama often flirts with being over the top. It is the strength of Hosseini's acting that holds the film together. The ending doesn't succeed in achieving its desired shock value; instead of a bang, it ends with a whimper.

• Sep 13, 2018

In "The Salesman" we find familiar emotions, slowly hiding inside a behind a big and tall cultural wall. And that is the main reason why I liked it: I felt so close and so far away to the characters at the same time.

• Sep 10, 2018

A complex, quiet film. Not of same parity, for me, to the separation but illustrates what a stand out filmmaker we lie witness to. I will not miss his movies. Great performances from this cast!

• Jun 15, 2018

Rather harrowing in its portrayal of how sexual assault can affect a marriage (both the victim and her husband and their relationship). But also rather strange in its fusing of Arthur Miller's Death of a Salesman to its plot -- as both a thematic parallel (in which a man responds to an apparent threat to his masculinity) and a surprisingly literal denouement (which I'll leave unexplained so as not to spoil things). You see the couple are actors who actually star in a community production of the play and a meeting with the local censors is the event that keeps the husband away late at the time his wife is attacked. Then begins a search for the attacker and director Asghar Farhadi lets this unfold as any mystery might; they find his keys and his abandoned pick-up and try to piece things together without the aid of the police, who probably can't be trusted. At the same time, we see how the trauma is impacting the couple, separately and together, and their psychological reactions and subsequent actions; Shahab Hosseini and Taraneh Alidoosti manage to convey some very nuanced and ambivalent feelings in their very strong performances. Farhadi is a master at playing on the ambiguities in situations; it is hard to know who is right and who is wrong and what the best course of action should be - and this is before he throws in a plot twist or two. He won the Oscar for best foreign film for A Separation, 2011, and then again for this film. His films show us Iranian society and its unique culture and constraints but it also shows us how people living there have the same feelings, needs, and moral choices as anywhere else. All of Farhadi's films are great but if I had to rank them, I would probably place About Elly (2009), A Separation (2011) and perhaps Fireworks Wednesday (2006) a bit higher than this one, which feels a little more forced and grimmer than usual. But that is merely a quibble when all of his output is strides ahead of most challengers.

• May 23, 2018

This distinguished film by esteemed filmmaker Asghar Farhadi is a must watch for lovers of world cinema. The themes are thought provoking and the story is absorbing. Featuring top notch performances The salesman should be on the top of foreign films you should see. (An Iranian masterpiece)

• Apr 05, 2018

A wonderfully acted and directed drama with well earned heart wrenching finish. Bravo.