The Santa Clause 2 (2002) - Rotten Tomatoes

The Santa Clause 2 (2002)

The Santa Clause 2 (2002)

TOMATOMETER

AUDIENCE SCORE

Critic Consensus: Though it's harmless as family entertainment and has moments of charm, The Santa Clause 2 is also predictable and forgettable.

The Santa Clause 2 Photos

Movie Info

Scott Calvin has been Santa Claus for the past eight years, and his loyal elves consider him the best Santa ever. But Santa's got problems--he's even mysteriously losing weight--and things quickly go south when he finds out that his son, Charlie, has landed on this year's "naughty" list. Desperate to help his son, Scott heads back home, leaving a substitute Claus to watch over things at the Pole. But when the substitute institutes some strange redefinitions of naughty and nice--putting Christmas at risk--it's up to Scott to return with a new bag of magic to try to save Christmas.

Watch it now

as Reindeer
Show More Cast

News & Interviews for The Santa Clause 2

Critic Reviews for The Santa Clause 2

All Critics (113) | Top Critics (31)

The scenes in which Fake Santa torments the elves with a toy soldier army are twisted enough to make it worth sticking around through the mawkish courtship.

November 12, 2002
Village Voice
Top Critic

The Santa Clause 2 is a barely adequate babysitter for older kids, but I've got to give it thumbs down.

November 5, 2002
Ebert & Roeper
Top Critic

A bloated, prefab sequel that gets stuck in the chimney.

November 2, 2002
Denver Rocky Mountain News
Top Critic

Has less charm than coal in a stocking.

November 1, 2002
Washington Post
Top Critic

A movie conscious, at every waking moment, of trying to out-do its predecessor.

Full Review… | November 1, 2002
Variety
Top Critic

If you value your time and money, find an escape clause and avoid seeing this trite, predictable rehash.

Full Review… | November 1, 2002
USA Today

Audience Reviews for The Santa Clause 2

½

Being the sequel to one of my favourite Christmas movies, I dreaded that this would tarnish my good memories of the original. But as much as I prepared myself for a suck-fest beyond measure, I quickly came to discover that my fears were unfounded. Sure, the script is about as thick as a ginger bread man, and yes, there's an abundance of random goofing around. But the spirit and joy of the original is still pretty much intact. Santa's workshop remains vibrant with fun activity, and although a few ornaments short of an epic Christmas tree, it's sufficiently entertaining and even touching at times. More with kudos to the cast though, than due to any other element. So for a follow-up with such a weak and skeletal plot, this was far from ho-ho-horrible.

Mike S
Mike S

Stupid, but good for completely mindless entertainment. I LOVED the first one as a kid - so strange to see everyone so much older in this one.

Jennifer D
Jennifer D

½

Sweet movie for kids, but at many times very dumb and childish.

Jim Careter
Jim Careter

The Santa Clause 2 Quotes

Discussion Forum

Discuss The Santa Clause 2 on our Movie forum!

News & Features