—— The Purge: Anarchy Jul 18

80% Vicious: Season 1
—— Witches of East End: Season 2

The Sapphires Reviews

July 6, 2014
This film is about music, but also explores issues of racial prejudice and discrimination.

The acting performances are good, too.
Angelo Dean
July 6, 2014
Good Australian movie, very original. A must watch

4 Stars!
June 19, 2014
It's a delightful movie with a great cast. Charming from the get go, it rarely devolves into outright hokeyness. It's great to see the time period, the war, and race issues viewed from the perspectives of non-Americans. The struggles that people of color have to go through in Australia. After watching the movie I was interested to read up on what became of the real-life singes this movie was based on. It was great to see how much of a real difference these girls, now women, made after their musical career. It was fun, heartbreaking, and wonderfully entertaining. An absolute must-see!
June 14, 2014
Not bad but isn't going to win any awards either.
Woody
June 12, 2014
While based on a true story, it really glamorizes these ladies trip through modest fame. That being said, it is a very entertaining movie and I enjoyed it.

Chris O'Dowd is one of those actors that always seems to bring up the level of any movie he is in, kind of like Jane Lynch does for the films/shows she is in. They just make them better.

Jessca Mauboy has a great voice and sings the old soul songs like they should be sung.
August 20, 2013
Very Good!!!! The music was alright. Good True Story Though.
June 2, 2014
Enjoyed it more than I expected, not as cheesy as one might have expected
May 26, 2014
You learn something new every day. Love the soundtrack. Chris O'Dowd might be my soulmate.
blowbyblow
May 20, 2014
although plot is nothing out of cliche, it has genuine heart, great music and acting
May 14, 2014
felt like a cluster of moments and scenes which were almost not even parts of one linear plot. half way in, I still couldn't sympathize none of the main characters or get interested in the main story.
May 11, 2014
The Sapphires is a movie about one of the first female groups before the Spice Girls came along The Sapphires were the talk of the town on Australia and they went on tour during the war times and sang for the troops in Vietnam and tried to give them some relax time during the war.
This movie has the Talents of Chris O'Dowd from The IT Crowd fame and Deborah Mailman from Redfern Now and The Secret Life of Us and it also has singing sensation Jessica Mauboy.
This movie is surprisingly well made and one of Australia's secret treasures of film making.
Give a shot you wont be disappointed..
August 3, 2013
- Have now watched it 3 times....enjoyed it a lot every time! Seek it out.

- Just watched this a 2nd time, and found it just as entertaining. Will likely make my top 10 of 2013. Give it a try!

- I really enjoyed this one. It stars Chris O'Dowd from "The IT Crowd" who always makes me laugh and is based on a true story. It follows a girl group of Aboriginals who go to Vietnam during the war to sing for the troops. The music is great and the films nicely balances humour and drama. Highly recommended!
April 27, 2014
A competently executed variation on a story you've seen a hundred times before that holds its own thanks to some inspired musical numbers and a great performance from Chris O'Dowd.
April 26, 2014
Moving, charming and funny. I enjoyed every second. O'Dowd will get most of the plaudits but all 4 girls were great as well.
April 17, 2014
Needed more of Chris O'Dowd.
April 15, 2014
Really brilliant, highly recommended.
April 8, 2014
really liked this film! it was a bit sentimental, but the performances we very good! it's nice to see relative unknown actors give such life to a story! great music!
January 5, 2013
It was as bad as I feared . The girls singing was terrific , the music was sparkling and like most Aussie films it was very nicely shot .But the plot, the dialogue and the acting were rhinestones . When the girls stepped on a barbed wire fence without flinching in the very first scene I knew realism was not going to get in the way of a good story . The vicious racism portrayed was unlikely and the idea that children would have been forcibly removed by authorities from such devoted, well behaved parents as those shown in the movie was simply ludicrous.
March 13, 2014
Thoroughly enjoyable. Surprised this did not get some indie boners from the Academy.
October 20, 2013
A charming, musical movie with some attachment to the truth elevated by O'dowd. Entertaining in part, touching in part - worth a watch.