The Scapegoat Reviews

• Sep 04, 2020

Definitely a movie for grownups...thoughtful, intelligent, no car chases, drug deals, worth the time spent...I even had to halt the movie on Amazon Prime to prepare myself for ending, which could have gone in two different directions...glad I finished it. ;) for an equally good "grownup" movie...not "for Adults Only" watch Knives Out.

• Aug 02, 2020

This is a quiet film that creeps up on you slowly, both with a profound charm and a growing foreboding. It juxtaposes big, global events with the minutiae of the lives of members of an English family. It succeeds in involving the viewer's own sense of morality as it builds connection and emotion to more than one of the story's characters. Indeed, by the end of the film I was quite ready to watch each separate story line. It's fantasy in a believable form.

• Dec 28, 2019

The cinematography, direction, acting and story are all excellent. This movie was a true surprise to me, besides being based on a Daphne Du Maurier I hadn't read. It kept us on the edge of our seats, and we were sad when it was over.

• Sep 23, 2019

I enjoyed the movie as it is, a movie. Because of the movie I read the book. I suggest strongly that you read the book because it is so different than the movie.

• Jan 19, 2018

This film was an enjoyable time filler on a rainy day. It has its funny moments but SPOILER ALERT I just don't get how in the end his wife was totally okay with her hubby trying to kill her (although they addressed that by saying she's easy to manipulate) also the maid said that she loved the original guy but was totally fine when the second guy came in and took the first guys place. I'm fine with the plot holes cause I wasn't expecting a masterpiece when starting this movie. I just wanted to point them out :1

• Feb 07, 2017

This film is based on a book by Daphne Du Maurier, the author who wrote the book that Alfred Hitchcock based Rebecca on. This one has a little humor, some inspiration to do better in this life of ours as well as suspense. Matthew Rhys gave a powerful performance in this film. He is truly an actor that is multi-dimensional and he can play kind and gentle and downright evil. He was the perfect actor for this job. There are a lot of secrets that our evil main character keeps and as you peel back each layer our good main character rises to the challenge. I absolutely adored this film but for two minor details. The stereo-typical gay love triangle that I'm fairly certain was not in the book and that Andrew Scott was not better utilized. I mean, that man is a rock star when he's on screen (see Sherlock "The Final Problem" and watch this man get off the helicopter). All the characters were very well defined and special kudos to Phoebe Nicholls. Her Charlotte character was absolutely what you would expect: the no non-sense, seldom surprised but all knowing nurse/housekeeper. This is truly not to be missed.

• Oct 20, 2016

Quite a few twists and turns. Enjoyable movie.

Quite a few twists and turns. Enjoyable movie.

• Apr 29, 2016

A very cleverly done doppelganger movie with a suspenseful struggle and good ending.

• Nov 18, 2015

A well done period piece explores the obligation for truth after two men meet as dopplegangers and switch places. An enjoyable film with good pacing and an interesting story. Well acted by Mathew Rhys and others.

• May 10, 2015

'Trading Places' meets 'Strangers on a Train'

'Trading Places' meets 'Strangers on a Train'