The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty Reviews

December 5, 2016
it was a really good movie.
defiantly watch it on your spare time
December 3, 2016
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty has stunning cinematography and a very interesting and fascinating story that touches upon the ironic fact that fantasizing isn't living even as we watch the movie, dreaming of an adventure like his.
November 18, 2016
4/5 ratings for The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
F:51%
R:49%
Critics Consensus: It doesn't lack for ambition, but The Secret Life of Walter Mitty fails to back up its grand designs with enough substance to anchor the spectacle.
November 18, 2016
One of my favorite movies of all time. Visually beautiful while exploring the theme of duty and sacrifice. Water has lost himself, and when he finally, little by little, finds himself again we get to experience the joy of getting to know the real Water Mitty.
November 17, 2016
Really enjoyed the Greenland and Iceland sequences, as well as the music choice.
November 16, 2016
Fun and inspiring movie. Spoke to my inner 007/Batman/Indiana Jones.
November 13, 2016
Walter Mitty (Ben Stiller), an employee of LIFE Magazine, lives a very bland and mundane life until he is accused of losing the film negative for the final printed issue of LIFE. The magazine, with Ted Hendricks (Adam Scott) at the head, is transitioning to "LIFE Online" and the print version will no longer exist. With his job on the line and daydreams constantly getting him into trouble, Walter must set out across seas to Iceland to find the missing negative #25.

José González and Theodore Shapiro did a prodigious job of composing the soundtrack, and the editor, Greg Hayden, did a superior job at adding an undertone of music at just the right times to highlight an emotional moment in time. As far as cinematography, there were a few truly stunning shots in several places which really set the mood well. The angles of the camera showed emotion superbly and assorted aerial shots along with the well-picked music were breathtaking. In addition, action movie style visual effects added humor to Walter's daydream scenes.

Among the well played characters, Walter Mitty is my favorite. I find it inspiring that a director can also star in his film as Ben Stiller did by playing Walter. Ben showed authentic emotion and was truly funny. Not in an Americanized slapstick way, but in a witty, clever way that makes you smile to yourself or at times, laugh out loud. Ben Stiller is a truly creative person. The starring actress in the movie, Kristen Wiig, who plays Walter's love, Cheryl Melhoff, did a talented job. Adam Scott played Ted Hendricks in a type of unrealistic way that makes the audience hate him.

In the end, I would recommend this movie to everyone ten and up since there is some bad language and a few thematic adult statements that might need to be skipped. If you think it is too slow in the beginning, give it a chance because it get's more exciting as it goes on. The only point I did not prefer was the fact that it was hard to tell if he was daydreaming or in reality, but I can overlook that and give it five stars.

"To see the world, things dangerous to come to, to see behind walls, draw closer, to find each other, and to feel. That is the purpose of life." -LIFE Magazine Motto
November 13, 2016
Boring and it didn't make any sense.
November 5, 2016
I love this movie, thought it was very good. Well done!
November 5, 2016
It's so upsetting to hear people who don't appreciate this movie. This is one of my favorite movies! It has inspired my husband and I to experience things that we would have not, had we not seen this movie. We've now been to Croatia, are
Going to Amsterdam in April and have plans to do Ireland and Iceland in the summer. This is a classic movie that will inspire generations to come to experience new things, travel, and believe in positive good things in this world. And don't even get me started on Kristin Wig's version of Space Odyssey. Love. Love. Love.
½ November 3, 2016
Awkward romance story or some such. Couldn't watch more than 20 minutes.
October 31, 2016
amazing movie
MUST WATCH IT
½ October 24, 2016
Wonderfully inspirational.
October 14, 2016
One of the best/creative movies I've seen in a long time. So creative and fresh. Thanks Ben!
October 9, 2016
Let me start by saying that I was skeptical to go see this film, mainly because it starred Ben Stiller. Given his track record of "comedies," I found myself avoiding his films just because I knew that they'd be crude and not the type of comedy I would enjoy. Much in the same way I was surprised by Will Ferrell in Stranger than Fiction (2006), The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013) was a pleasant surprise. I don't know if it's because he also directed this film, but I truly enjoyed it on many levels, both as a lover of movies and a lover of photography.

The strength of this film lies in its imagery and presentation. The beauty of our world and the way it's captured in the travels of a man coming out of his shell is truly inspiring. I can honestly say I haven't seen a film nearly this encouraging in quite a while. As someone who often struggles to find the courage to try new things or break out of my tried-and-true routines, I can confirm that the daydreaming fantasies of those lacking confidence are merely the coping mechanisms of introverts too scared to risk failure, thus inevitably missing out on the fantastic adventures this world has to offer.

But even the message to get out and experience the world is tempered by the reminder to truly be "in the moment." Each time I watch this film, I cry every time the world-famous photographer lets the perfect picture pass him by, merely so he can be fully present in the experience of the moment. I have taken these "snow leopard moments" to heart, embracing the ability to enjoy a special time without having to document it for social media. Oh, and on a final side note: what cellular service does Walter Mitty have? I ask because the calls he got in the Himalayas were crystal clear!

A fantastic film that embraces the "everyman" and the endless possibilities of our world, I give The Secret Life of Walter Mitty 5.0 stars out of 5.
½ October 2, 2016
One of Stiller's all time bests. Unusual compared to his other movies. Definitely a must see. :)
½ September 23, 2016
Definitely enjoable! The opening is marvellous, and the opening credits beautiful. At times, the cinematography is exquisite. But as the consesus reads; there is not enough substance. The plot is a little thin.
September 22, 2016
Average travel/adventure movie
September 18, 2016
Amazing film. One of my top favorites. Great acting, amazing cinematography, and great place to inspire people to go.
½ September 14, 2016
Molto originale sotto ogni punto di vista, I Sogni Segreti di Walter Mitty č un film estremamente ambizioso che comunque riesce ad intrattenere chiunque, grazie ad una fotografia piacevole e una storia coinvolgente. Nonostante la morale sia un po' debole e scontata, resta un piacevole film per tutte le etŕ.