The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty Reviews

April 25, 2017
My all-time favorite!
April 16, 2017
:yawn: Not much going on with this one as it's mostly just another love story with some pretty cool shots of Greenland and Iceland in between. Ben Stiller is alright here and Kristen Wiig is cute, but yeah... I was struggling to keep my eyes open during this movie :long yawn:
March 30, 2017
For a movie with an interesting premise about a man who daydreams himself a more interesting fantasy life, it's surprisingly boring. It's not a bad movie, but it just isn't that interesting either. It's pretty to look at and provides some laughs, but not enough happens in its near two hour run time.

The film starts off strong and sets up the premise well. Walter (Ben Stiller) is a middle aged socially inept man who zones out every once in a while and lives out crazy fantasies in his head whilst living a very mundane life (though one where he has plenty of expandable income and works at a renowned magazine). An important photo negative has gone missing and Walter must set out to find it. It really isn't about the photo, but rather the film's message which they repeat ad nauseum throughout the film. The film is about living your dreams and living a full life. Apparently, living your dreams involves getting into a helicopter with a drunken pilot during stormy weather - a good message to everyone. Walter turns from a shy, lonely man to an adventurous happy one, but the transition is way too sudden. Honestly, for a large portion of the film I was waiting for it to turn out it was just another instance of him zoning out. The things he actually does are almost as over the top as his daydreams. I guess in that sense he really is living his dreams and he stops daydreaming the more exciting shit he does, but still. Also, the whole movie he is chasing this photo that is supposed to be "the quintessence of life", when it is finally revealed, it's a bit disappointing. They should've really come up with a better photo.

Even though the story is a bit fantastical and over the top and unrealistic and requires a big suspension of disbelief and so on, the film is consistent whole when it comes to plot, cinematography, and soundtrack. The camera is almost constantly in motion, spinning around, crane shots, etc. Walter has entered a new wonderful world and the camera tries to capture it all just as Walter does. Also, the shots of the various vistas in the film are beautiful. I can't give too much credit there since nature is just beautiful in general. The soundtrack is upbeat and at the same time melancholic. It features sort of spooky vocals along percussion and adds to the sense of wonderment and fantasticalness.

Unfortunately, the characters are pretty meh. Walter is inconsistent just like the plot, but he is a likable guy and does grow in the film, so he did the job I guess. And the movie is pretty much about him, but still, it would've been nice to have a more interesting supporting cast. The love interest, Cheryl, played by Kristen Wiig, is nice enough. She's casually funny, but she isn't that memorable of a character. Neither is Walter's mother. His sister is the typical eclectic sibling. Sean Penn plays the famed photographer Sean O'Connel. He is actually is an interesting character, but is only in one scene. Also, for a famed photographer, all you really see is photos of him and notsomuch pictures he's taken. And the "antagonist" is Ted Hendricks, aka Adam Scott with an unnerving beard. He isn't much of antagonist since he barely has any screen time and has minimal effect on the plot. It is funny how Adam Scott essentially plays a douchier Ben Wyatt; Ted does the same job that Ben from Parks and Rec does, except with private companies and not local governments.
March 11, 2017
This is by far the most underrated movie of all time.
March 11, 2017
I cant believe its 51% rated here. This movie is a masterpiece the story, out of the box narrative, breathtaking cinematography, matching soundtrack and above all the message all just coalesces together to be the best movie of its time. Highly underrated .
March 4, 2017
A perfect piece of cinematic art.
February 25, 2017
A heart warming story. I don't know why this got bad reviews I though it was great and had a solid plot even if it wasn't realistic.
February 23, 2017
Good movie. Pulls a couple punches. But overall it's a well made movie with a positive message.
February 19, 2017
Clean,fun and a awesome soundtrack! I love it
February 14, 2017
I REEEEEEEALLY love this movie. It was unexpected that I loved it this much, and even my partner agreed. It feels so good to watch and is really well filmed. The Soundtrack is fricking phenomenal.
½ February 12, 2017
I loved this movie. Such a good story about living your life to its fullest.
February 12, 2017
I've just landed here for the first time to say that this is an amazing film, totally worth it.
Totally.
February 7, 2017
I went into this knowing nothing about it and no expecting anything. It wasn't a bad film, in my opinion. I enjoyed watching it for the most part, but it's not something I'd buy for my own collection unless it was a guilty pleasure. That's pretty much the same for any film I rate 3/5 or lower.
½ February 3, 2017
Inspiring, sweet, funny and beautiful.
January 24, 2017
I Really enjoyed the film, just bought a copy of it and I really liked it...and the locations that were photographed...!!!
January 23, 2017
This movie plays on heart strings in a feel good and encouraging way. The concept and way it plays out is very feel good and just enjoy the crazy and unreal adventure as Walter Mitty steps out, (Segway to the sound track) that makes this movie half of what it is.
January 19, 2017
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty provides a confusing, disjointed story that leaves you wondering why the movie was made in the first place.
½ January 15, 2017
An interesting drama featuring the lead role of Stiller (who also directed the film). A casual-looking man who has a nasty habit of daydreaming, much like myself. The random moments were catching and the humor was pleasant.
January 14, 2017
Romantic notion of giving something your all and abandoning the mundane, filling ruts. Lovely film, music. I enjoyed this. 7.75/10.