The Secret Village - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Secret Village Reviews

½ November 1, 2015
worst movie i've ever seen. acting? horrible. writing? elementary. plotline? nonexistent. action? none to speak of. the makeup looks like it was done by a junior high student. the music is the only thing in this movie that tells you how to feel, and most of the time it's wrong, because NOTHING HAPPENS. i like myself a little less for having watched this movie.
July 16, 2014
We're a small community that doesn't like change!

A small village seems to be suffering from hysteria. A group of researchers are sent in and they hope to relieve the outbreak from society. Will the researchers become the latest victims, will the outbreak spread outside of the village, or will the researchers lock up whatever ghouls caused the mass hysteria?

"I'm actually not here to order a meal."

Swamy Kandan, director of Catch your Mind, delivers The Secret Village in his second major motion picture. The story line for this picture is fairly ridiculous and reminded me of a poor man's Darkness Falls (yes, a not as good Darkness Falls). The action and special effects were just okay and the acting was below average. The cast includes Jonathan Bennett, Ali Faulkner, Stelio Savante, Richard Riehle, Kef Lee, Tobi Gadison, and Miriam Weisbecker.

"Your life is at risk. Don't trust anyone."

We randomly grabbed this new picture off Netflix because we were in the mood for a horror picture. Unfortunately, this was a bit bland and straight forward. This definitely could have been more intense and better. Overall, I recommend skipping this picture, even if you're a horror movie fan.

"I trusted you."

Grade: F
May 25, 2014
Overly dramatic music, people skulking around in cowls, and a "Ooo! we got cha!" twist ending that is painfully predictable. Skip it.
May 19, 2014
Another sad case of a good actress in a silly and bad movie.
May 15, 2014
An interesting premise involving Salem, the witch trials, and Ergot (the fungus used to produce LSD and some prescription poisoning) provides The Secret Village with a potentially good storyline, but the film plays out in an extremely predictable way for which a few creepy moments cannot compensate.
May 15, 2014
One line summary: Murky horror/mystery set in a village in Massachusetts.

Rachel is a reporter of sorts, and Greg is a screenwriter. Both of them become interested in reports of mass hysteria in a small town in Massachusetts. By some circumstance, they end up being room mates in a large house in the area.

The locals vary between not forthcoming and outright hostile. Rachel takes a job at a local eatery. Rachel keeps in touch with her boss by telephone. Greg floats around looking for information to help his creative process. Paul and Jim help Rachel with clues as they can. Greg's position turns out to be ambiguous; he steals some of Rachel's research materials and gives them to the villagers. Max, Rachel's boss, is glad to help her, but needs some sort of supporting facts before bringing in authorities to deal with the evil-doers.

Will Rachel get to the bottom of this? Will Greg's position become clear? Will the secrets be revealed?

Cinematography: 8/10 Mostly clear and sharp; only occasionally falls into shaky camera mode.

Sound: 6/10 The music is reasonably creepy, but is often over the top compared to the story and visuals.

Acting: 1/10 I have nothing good to say here.

Screenplay: 0/10 Where do I begin? Editing is a clear weakness; some clips are out of sequence. Exposition of motivations is not good; I saw only a pinch of that on two characters. Too many of the short conversations in the film seemed context free. The historical flashbacks seemed to have little or nothing to do with the main story line. The ending may have been meant to be as wonderful as the ending of The Sixth Sense, but it fell flat instead.
May 14, 2014
I couldn't get past how very stupid the lead character was. Then something happened that explained a few things, but I had already spent a lot of time yelling at the screen. Still, I'm glad I watched it to the end.
½ May 8, 2014
No real story line.... title and description hype it up but there isn't much here. It is slow from start to finish. And messy. Sometimes you don't even know what's happening. Very poorly done. It had potential with what the story line was supposed to be but it dies horribly. I won't be watching it again.
½ January 18, 2014
Beautiful scenery, crack-head cinematography. It's so BAD, that it's good. It's like the joy you get watching Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.
January 4, 2014
Finally a movie where you have to think to "get it", great job very cool!
January 3, 2014
I enjoyed this movie
November 1, 2013
Absolute garbage. The cinematography was weak. The effects were weak. The acting was weak. It moved too slow. No scary moments. The twist sucked.... nothing was going for this movie. There was a point where she was running away from some kidnappers and they walked towards her slowly reaching out. No running. Never did they try, and neither did the director.
October 27, 2013
90 minutes of my life I'll never get back again.
October 27, 2013
Although this isn't the horror film it was billed to be, it has enough going for it to warrant the price of theatrical admission. The final reveal is worth the build up and the acting, cinematography and musical score are fine enough to rival the latest slew of genre low budget indie releases. I would like to have seen more of the Villager's storyline as the strongest acting comes from both Richard Riehle and Stelio Savante. The second act would have generously benefited from their presence as it drags prior to the exciting home stretch. A more than capable script was done justice here and the almost 90 minutes are well spent on an entertaining film that delivers.
October 23, 2013
Like a B movie. I couldn't believe it was for real! The sound effects are just hilariously lame and the costumes aren't the least bit scary. The DOP needs sacking and the acting is high school standard. So bad it was funny, and I just had to watch until the end to see what 'scary character' would appear next! Shame really, great idea for a film, just very badly made.
October 20, 2013
I saw the movie on the opening night and found it interesting, I would say that the movie kept me at the edge of my seat in a few scenes wondering what will happen to Rachael. There were a couple of scenes that I did not initially understand because the story telling was unique and not linear, but at the end everything came together and made sense. I think there were some parts in the movie that could have been avoided to increase the pace in the middle. The end was very cute, but short.
October 20, 2013
I wasn't planning on going to see the movie The Secret Village. I decided to make my way over to a local theater in Philadelphia. after a friend who went to the first showing told me it was worth the watch. After spending 90 minutes in the theater my emotions transitioned from sitting on the edge of my seat, my brain being so confused, and walking out amazed.

I was truly impressed with acting by Ali Faulkner, Jonathan Bennett, and Richard Riehle. Ali Faulkner a new and upcoming actress stole the show! She reminds me a bit of Sara Paxton, and portrays her emotions just like Ashley Benson. The Secret Village was inspired by events connected to The Salem Witch Trials, not going to lie I was educated during the movie. Before seeing this movie I was very skeptical, I wasn't too sure of the actors performances in the teasers. After the ending I was glad that I made my way to my local theater.

Jonathan Bennett was taking on a different role from his past. It was good to see him on the screen after such a long gap from 2004. Stelio Savante was one of those characters in movies who you hated in the beginning from his evil role, but he grew on you towards the end. All the actors executed their roles very well.

To be honest, I enjoyed the beginning it gave off a unique vibe. The middle however was a bit too confusing, my brain was jumping to conclusions, and I was getting frustrated. The ending answered every single one of my questions, and at last I felt satisfied. The ending was the icing on the cake! It was a new approach to story telling and direction, Kudos to the screenplay and direction team for executing a distinct ending.

The ending was like putting a jig-saw puzzle together, and being impressed with the final piece. Definitely a movie made for a creative mind.
½ October 20, 2013
Don't waste your time and demand a refund. Production values are shot, script is appalling and direction is a mess. Nothing remotely worth watching here.
October 19, 2013
A movie that manages to keep you in "solving the puzzle" mode till the very end, creepy and on the edge of your seat. Kudos to the director!
October 19, 2013
Great movie. Beginning started out with grabbing all my attention, towards the middle I was very confused, but by the last few minutes all my confusion was sorted out. Ending was though out and executed brilliantly.