The Secret World of Arrietty - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Secret World of Arrietty Reviews

May 21, 2018
Decided this seemed the perfect introduction for my children to the world of Studio Ghibli. Must admit beforehand I was a little concerned as to whether they would be completely interested as the animation style is so different from what western audiences are accustomed to. Well I needn't have been, both my boys (including the 1 year old) were entranced throughout, as was I. My eldest is still bringing up Arrietty and making up play scenarios based on the film over a week later. This really is a treat, fantastic film.
April 14, 2018
Beautiful, charming, heartwarming and lovely
½ March 24, 2018
Cool concept interesting wrll rounded characters but the world and art style are just lacking in the special miyazaki style
March 1, 2018
"The Secret World of Arrietty" is another wondrous, adventure film coming from the studio that brought you "Spirited Away". It's creative, it's astonishingly drawn... It's a film that will make us see the world in a new light. Definitely much more well-paced than Studio Ghibli's previous works... and equally entertaining too. Seriously, what more can I saw about these talented artists? I'm literally being a broken record right now lol
February 24, 2018
Not enough Miyazaki involvement for my liking, but still very good.
February 8, 2018
A simple story about the power of friendship with a fantastic lead character, Arriety. After watching When Marnie Was There directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi, which may be the last Studio Ghibli film, I wanted to see watch the first film he directed, Arriety, and it does not disappointment.

This is a story ultimately about friendship which is shown really well here. All the moments between Arriety and Sho are very touching as they get to know each other. Arriety is initially hesitant but curious about Sho, and gradually as she learns more about him they get closer together and begin to trust each other.

The characters are very likeable and relatable, although could have been explored more. Arriety is a fantastic lead character, she's a highly energetic teenager who's excited and curious about exploring the house she lives in. However this often leads to trouble, there's a moment where she feels guilty about what she's done, there's a really touching moment when she cries herself to sleep. However Arriety's vulnerable side isn't shown very often and it would of been nice this more. Sho is quite pessimistic. There's a very emotional moment when he explains to Arrietty his viewpoint in life while they are outside, it's really heartbreaking to see him like this was a very emotional moment. Although it would of been nice to learn more about Sho and his problems. Arriety's parents are likeable and act like real parents, Arrietty's mum is constantly worried about her, while her father is very quiet and logical. Unfortunately Haru the housekeeper is a really poorly developed character. She is constantly trying to trap the Borrowers, but her motives are unknown and this makes her very unlikeable and unrelatable.

The story is simple but effective. It starts out with Arriety exploring the house more, which leads to the main problem later on. The story is easy to understand and certainly has some exciting moments during the action sequences.

The animation is fantastic, the characters and backgrounds, especially inside the house and outside were really detailed. Especially during Arriety's first trip to the house with her father was fantastic. The shots made simple household objects look like a massive landscape, like a kitchen bench looking like a cliff.

This is a simple story about friendship which is definitely worth seeing, although Arriety's and Sho's personal struggles could have been explored more.
January 28, 2018
Gorgeous colors, beautiful animation, as always. Really interesting concepts and original whimsical ideas. Arrietty's a pretty cute girl. That cat man. That cat is such a prissy little shit. It's so cool to see everything miniature sized and even objects that are normal sized that are being used by the Borrowers.

Such a meditative and beautiful movie. I want to know more about Sean's backstory of why he's getting surgery and what happened to him. The amount of detail in that doll house. It almost seems like royalty would live in that house, like a king or a monarch. So interesting to see how different Spiller lives his life as opposed to how Arrietty and her family lives.

That Aunt Hara even though somewhat evil, is really clumsy and funny. The cat, Nina, is actually not that bad. It got really sentimental at the end, almost teared up.

Overall, really pretty movie with beautiful colors and animation and a wonderful story to boot.
January 25, 2018
This movie was truly magical in every aspect!

Music: 10/10 The score is absolutely charming and inspiring.

Animation: 10/10 So much detail in every scene with the colors, shades, house details, garden details. Really beautiful

Characters: Every character is likeable and relatable and there is growth in every character in the movie.

Plot: The plot is a little slow at first, however, I think it is to show what it is like being a little person and what their day to day lives look like. There is so much creativity put into the life of a little person by the creators. However, after the first hour or so of the movie it picks up at the end with more action.

I give this movie a 5 out of 5 because it is without a doubt creative, inspirational, and leaves that warm fuzzy feeling with the audience from the beginning to end. It also has a really great hidden meaning to the film as well, being that people should fight until the end and not give up on life because survival is important for those who surround you.

Love it!
January 19, 2018
oooo a new studio ghibli film! some of the animation really reminds me of my neighbor totoro. :)
December 30, 2017
The Secret World of Arrietty is a somewhat too simplistic tale and Haru definitely weighed this film down quite a lot as she is such a goofy, cartoony villain who is a contrast to the film's more mature style and approach. However, this is still a very good Studio Ghibli offering with such a charming story, likable characters and a couple of emotionally resonant scenes with a great finale. Its fittingly leisurely pace brings you fully into this world along with its simply gorgeous, highly detailed animation and excellent direction from Hiromasa Yonebayashi.
November 27, 2017
The studio Ghibli version of the classic tale "The Borrowers". This brightly colored pallet is a feast for the eyes. The bubbly nature of Arrietty is infectious. When she speaks you just smile and are invested in her tale. As a borrower she takes what they need to survive, but not enough to get noticed by the home owner. When she is caught by a sickly boy, who has come to stay a summer with his aunt, she is caught between the struggle of breaking the norm and befriending this boy or hide away with her family. Another tale that has the audience pick a side. Do you break the norm and risk it All, or do you stay hidden with no risks, but never have any expansion of your horizon? Arrietty is stuck between these two worlds and must make up her own mind. This dilemma gives the audience an interesting ride to take. The villain, the boy's aunt's maid, is perfect. She wants to conquer the world around her and be the master of her domain. The story is told with such pep and the pacing is perfect. Giving the audience the feeling of whimsey and adventure that one feels when one is a child. I just remembered reading the book as a child and smiling. Pulling on the Nostalgia string just enough to keep me fully invested, but not too much to be considered cheesy.
½ October 6, 2017
i cant not watcing this
½ September 16, 2017
A beautiful, soft & soulful film that is a based on the story of the Borrowers by Mary Shelley.

This time it's country side Japan & a terrific story of a young man struggling with his health.

Not a major eventful film the strength of it relies in its simplicity & gentle approach. A nice film that captures the interesting story of this little people.
September 13, 2017
magical with a finely tuned soundtrack!
August 20, 2017
What an absolutely charming anime!
½ August 15, 2017
The Secret World Of Arrietty

Pros:
- Good Voice Acting (for the most part)

- Fantastic Animation

- Terrific Script

- Amazing Music

- Great Characters

- Very Interesting and Creative Concept

- Very Well Directed

- Much Like Studio Ghibli's Other Films, It Is Very Sophisticated Compared To Other Animated Children's Films

- Funny At Times

Cons:
- Some Of The Voice Acting Can Be A Little Bit Weak (particularly David Henrie as Shawn)

Overall Grade: A (9.5/10)
August 2, 2017
great animation & great cast but didn't like the ending & the music? actuly fantastic
if this was from 0 to 10
I would give it a 6
½ June 26, 2017
The Secret World of Arrietty is another great Studio Ghibli movie that starts out strong but I feel end sorta weak. When it was over, I kept thinking, "that's it?"
May 26, 2017
Hayao Miyazaki never disappoints.
May 21, 2017
Beautiful story and stunning animation. Another great film from studio Ghibli!