The Shock Labyrinth 3d (senritsu Meikyu 3d) Reviews

• Jan 16, 2018

Not sure why all the hate on this one. The concept was interesting and the way they mixed different timelines back and forth throughout the movie definitely made the story development more intense than if they had done a more linear style story. I can definitely say that they definitely resorted to a few gags that were better suited to 3D for the scares, but they are still somewhat effective in 2D as well. The special effects made for some great creepy shots but it isn't hard to spot the CGI. The atmosphere was my fav part since it takes place in an actual haunted house (for the most part) which is better than the usual residential style horror. It is a fun ride of a movie. If you enjoy the creepy aspect of Asian horror, this is definitely worth a watch.

• Oct 17, 2016

los efectos no son los mejores, pero la historia no es mala, muchas cosas que no se explicaron.

• Dec 02, 2015

What a misleading title... I've bought this movie knowing nothing about it (except the 3 sentence synopsis at the back of the DVD box) and thus I didn't know what to expect and I was still heavily dissapointed... The story is quite interesting, though. It's about 4 friends who have lost a friend 10 years ago, but that friend now mysteriously returns and some secrets about the past are revealed. Although it's obvious there's a twist ending, it's still a suprise when it happens, even though the twist is quite illogical. The movie is made to be seen in 3D. There's many 3D scenes which look very odd when you watch the 2D version and just plain stupid. Speaking of stupid, there are some really, really cheap CGI effects, as well as some really bad acting which ruins a lot of the movie. Another problem, perhaps the biggest, is that the movie is not scary at all. It can get creepy, but then something happens that ruins that initial feeling. For example, there's this creepy scene with mannequins coming to life and there's a stupid scene with a girl jumping on a guy 3 times in a row. It's easier to know what I'm talking about after watching the movie for yourself. The atmosphere is pretty neat. There are some really well designed set pieces. I can't speak much more of this movie as it really isn't worth talking about this much. All in all, a highly dissapointing Japanese horror movie with no scares, no good acting, but an intriguing story, albeit illogical. I wouldn't recommend checking this movie out.

• Dec 29, 2014

The Shock Labyrinth Movie Review! Oh my god. I came in ready to completely hate this movie due to the bad rating that Netflix gave it. But no. I am completely perplexed as to how I feel about this movie. The premise is thus: We see some children entering an undefined place. Then we cut to several teenagers who suddenly see the return of a long lost friend (by the looks of it). Hi-jinks ensue. The movie is definitely not for those who are expecting a straightforward answer. There is much confusion and questions that sometimes are not thoroughly explained the best of ways. To me, this is a very artsy movie; and not a bad one at that. The acting is decent, the visuals are great (until some little parts) and the story-line is more than impressive. You may argue that you can walk away not understand the finale, but if you pay attention, you can walk out lightly doubting. Even I did. As much as I liked it, I will not deny the confusion is overwhelming. And humanely, it can be annoying to be so lost. But I digress. I give this movie a 8 out of 10. (4 stars.)

• Sep 19, 2014

Production was awful but the storyline was great! It kept me curious until the end. Never very scary though (one scene at the end was suspenseful).

• Apr 05, 2014

Easily the equal of his Ju-On/The Grudge films, can anyone tell a story of a revenge curse as well as Shimizu? Shock Labyrinth take a bit to warm up, but then the story circles around itself as wonderfully and visually amazing as the centerpiece staircase.

• Feb 24, 2014

Senritsu Meikyû (The Shock Labyrinth) (Takashi Shimizu, 2009) Takashi Shimizu has an overblown and entirely undeserved reputation on this side of the pond thanks to having directed the Grudge series of films, which are overrated garbage in the Japanese iteration of the series and overrated even more unwatchable garbage in their American remakes; the only good thing to have come out of the entire series is that it showed Hollywood that it was a financially viable idea to have directors come over to Hollywood and remake their own films (in other words, you have Shimizu to thank for Gela Babulani directing 13). While I will admit that Shimizu has directed one mildly watchable feature (Marebito), everything else I've seen from the man is awful. The Shock Labyrinth, which came and went with nary a whisper, may finally be the film that shows the public that his reputation is entirely undeserved. I would attempt to give you a plot synopsis, as I usually do in the middle paragraph of a review, but this movie is plotless as well as pointless, to the extent that Shimizu, in the closing fifteen minutes of the film, had to add a Poirot scene, where a character finally puts all the pieces together and then narrates the story for the audience. Here's a rule of thumb, aspiring filmmakers: if your script requires a Poirot scene, it's shit, rewrite it. A Poirot scene is an automatic fail. The best I can do: a bunch of young-and-beautifuls take a sick friend to the hospital and discover it is not a hospital. All of them save one were involved in some sort of supernatural happening in the past, but why is that guy involved? (I am treating that like a spoiler, though by the first few flashbacks to Ken's early life, you will have figured out his connection to the other flashback events if you've seen any three random mysteries made in the past century.) The Shock Labyrinth is distributed in this country by a company called Well Go USA Entertainment, also responsible for the execrable Zombie Hunter. In that case, at least they got the "USA" part right. Here, well, even though this is a Japanese film, that may still be the most accurate of the four words. It is not well, it does not go, and it is in no way entertainment. *

• Dec 28, 2013

• Oct 26, 2013

One line summary: Teens confront abandoning their friend in a haunted labyrinth. -------------------------------------------------------------------------- From the opening scene, one gets a brick in the face: this film is loaded with supernatural nonsense. A stuffed rabbit floats through the air, seemingly of its own accord; the rabbit can proceed effortlessly through solid walls, plural. Rin, Ken, Yuki, Miyu, and Motoki were at an amusement park when they were young, in particular in a mostly dark labyrinth. Something bad happened there. In the present, Rin is blind, Yuki is presumed dead. However, Yuki shows up at Rin's door. Rin calls Ken and Motoki. It does seem to be Yuki; she claims she's been in a hospital for all these years. They find Yuki's younger sister Miyu at the old family home. While the group was talking, Yuki bolts up to her old room; there they see the stuffed rabbit that was with them in the labyrinth. The rabbit shows a few supernatural signs, and Yuki bolts out again, this time to fall down the stairs. The group takes Yuki to the hospital. Sigh. Twenty minutes in. The rest of the film is about getting to a doctor; well, at least at first. The teenagers confront all sorts of obstacles after they arrive at the hospital. Where are the nurses? Where are the doctors? Where are the emergency staff, and so on? Then Yuki runs away and they cannot find her. What trauma dramas do they need to resolve before they leave this shared nightmare? That is what the last 68 of 88 minutes is about. Layer upon layer upon layer of hallucinatory experiences are dumped on the four teens. -----Scores------ Cinematography: 0/10 In the second scene, the Blair Witch bovine scatology starts. Why the director chooses to go back and forth between trash and splendor (10% of the film is absolutely beautiful) in the visuals is not clear. The credits and subtitles all look fine and professional. It is unfortunate that they have to be conjoined to the wretched camera work. Sound: 10/10 As good as the visuals are bad; creepy and atmospheric. Acting: 8/10 Reasonably good. Screenplay: 6/10 This is a 10 minute short. Why drag it out to 88 minutes? The endless repeated flashbacks do not add anything except irritation. Special Effects: 8/10 This is a mixed bag, but more often than not, the SFX look fine.

• Jul 14, 2013

This was probably one of the worst asian horror flims I have seen. It did however provide comic relief for me and my friends in the early hours of the morning.