The Shunning - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Shunning Reviews

July 10, 2016
This was a typical Hallmark movie company. While the premise was good, the movie seemed rather slow moving and predictable. I could tell from the very beginning how the movie would eventually plan out. I thought that the ending acene would of been better. Danielle Panabaker is developing to such a great actress, and she proves it in this film. With that being said for this being a good solid film, I give " The Shunning " a C.
July 28, 2015
if this is what it means to be Amish... wow, is all I have to say. it was good for what it's worth, but something I will never understand considering I know little to nothing about the Amish community. very easy for me to sit here and judge... but everyone has their own beliefs. just have to respect that and move on AND remember that this is a movie.
October 25, 2014
Really enjoyable, and relaxing to watch.
October 16, 2014
Great movie but cowboy, and I did not like the end of the movie at all. How can you end a movie like that ? :( hate ending that don't finish the story!
½ August 5, 2014
What I don't understand about the Amish is that they live simple lives and don't like all the mod cons to civilisation. However when the need rises, that they will use the advantages in modern civilisation.
June 21, 2014
Very slow
Low budget
Poor acting
Good for falling asleep to:)
½ February 18, 2014
A view of the Amish community and some of their customs. Danielle Panabaker is marvelous as Katie, the young Amish lady who is struggling with an arranged wedding quickly approaching and feelings of not belonging in her head. Touching and tear evoking (at least for my wife). Good family drama.
August 16, 2013
Nice Michael Landon Jr. movie...very Little House on the Prairie style. Not for everyone, I am quite sure. Very much chick flickish...
April 14, 2013
I didn't know this was a Lifetime movie (saw it on Netflix), but the canned dramatic background music certainly gave it away. Overall, this story tries to create drama out of nothing. The Shunning displays an overly sweetened, childish view of family, adoption, the Amish - building on a premise that was flimsy to begin with and trying to make a whole movie around it.

First, Katie is not like other Amish. She likes "English" things like playing the guitar and thinking for herself. Because, as we all know, genetics is what determines degree of Amishness.

Then a woman who is her biological mother (a cardboard cutout Lifetime character) goes looking for her daughter long-lost daughter because she finds out that she has a completely treatable and operable cancer. A note that she drops off at an Amish market miraculously ends up where it belongs, and Katie learns the truth.

Realizing she is not really Amish, she does things that the audience wants to see, like venturing out in the world for the first time, trying on modern clothes, and generally being an alien among us. Nevermind that she presumably already did all this for Rumspringa.

The film continues this oscillation between naive misconceptions (about identity, adoption, and the Amish) and forced dramatic, which we know are supposed to be deep and touching only by the soundtrack.

Overall, don't waste your time. Even if you like cheesy Lifetime films for what they are, this one is not particularly interesting.
½ December 12, 2012
Good movie overall, but, finished suddenly with more story to tell so hopefully there is sequel to finish it
½ November 22, 2012
The ending dropped off and felt incomplete- I never read the book, so I don't know if this is just how the book ended.
August 21, 2012
If you have Netflix snd enjoy a good drama film, this is a great one! A young girl learns she was adopted into an Amish family, and is arranged to marry a bishop. She wonders how life would be if she grew up in the modern life. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes Drama films.
August 2, 2012
ehh ok... its on netflix
July 10, 2012
It was a great movie. :) One of my favorites about faith and how secrets can be kept and could hurt others
July 3, 2012
It's a great movie! The depth of it is great!
June 2, 2012
It's a wonderful movie that deals with the struggle of a adopted Amish girl who has inspirations of doing more with her life. I'm not going to say more but its a great movie of principals and coming of age.
½ April 20, 2012
This was an entertaining story, but it didn't feel authentic at all. There are a lot of things that are overlooked and many unanswered questions.
April 3, 2012
Interesting story but nothing was actually resolved in the end.
February 24, 2012
Loved this movie! Always been fascinated the fact that the Amish culture survived the modern American society.
January 5, 2012
A simple, slow paced family film about love, family and finding your place in the world.