The Silence - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Silence Reviews

½ May 5, 2014
Well done movie for me, except for one thing. Maybe it's a cultural difference things, I don't know, BUT was I the only person who was annoyed to no end by the disheveled detective-widower character who was way over-the-top? I mean, come on with the guy. Everyone else was great but every time the dude was on the screen I wanted to shout "take a shower and gather your thoughts, man!". Again, maybe it's a cultural thing.
½ April 27, 2014
An unhappy German film? Surely you jest. The movie I say is No. 3 of all-time (The Lives of Others) is German (and unhappy) and brilliant. This movie is definitely German, definitely unhappy, and just so-so.

Decent plot: on a date in the 80s, two men abduct and murder a little girl. The case was never solved. Fast-forward 23 years, and a very similar crime has happened in the same location.

It's German, so it's not bound by all the nonsense in American films. It's very slow and the first murder scene, while not necessarily graphic, is certainly unpleasant. But the pace never quickens and sometimes they throw in some needless cinematography. All of that, maybe intentionally, adds to the slower pace.

Then there are the characters. My favorite is the lead investigator of sorts. He's disheveled, mostly because he's recently lost his wife to cancer. But you can tell he's a smart and caring man and I really liked that character. The men responsible for the murder(s)...interesting. One is kind of a pathetic character. One is pretty good at being creepy.

Can't say too much without being a spoiler, but it turns into an interesting movie. The ending is left fairly wide open, which kind of works for this movie. Biggest complaint is pace and maybe how inept some of the cops are, but overall, a nice flick.
½ April 26, 2014
Emotionally charged, steady creeping tension.
April 13, 2014
The Silence is a powerful crime fiction that is commendable for its bone-chilling, breathtaking visuals and realistic characters. While it may not be as mesmerizing as The Prisoners, The Silence has plenty to offer for the fans of both crime fiction and psychological drama.
½ April 11, 2014
Twisted, sad, and disturbing - an artfully made film about the sicker side of life. And how justice..is very rarely done. There's barely any dialogue, but it still manages to convey so much emotion and power.
½ March 26, 2014
The sheer cinematic brilliance of this movie delights the viewer.After America ,French cinema has excelled in all departments of filmmaking as compared to its counterpart.The treatment of this movie looks widely inspired by some Hollywood flicks of same genre but at the same time it wouldn't be good to rub it off as unoriginal."The Silence" takes the tempo of the movie really high with brilliant pace of the movie combined with great performances and a rich cinematography.
½ March 25, 2014
Really, really creepy. And sad. And mostly scary because this happens every day.
½ March 25, 2014
German mystery film is a bit more standard-issue than it realizes, but it certainly has it's chilling moments.
½ March 6, 2014
good movie that keeps you interested, along with some interested turns.
March 4, 2014
I like thrillers. This was mysterious and thrilling.
March 1, 2014
A good, slow boiling thriller, that shows different viewpoints of a disastrous situation. Tough subject matter, but well done. Good acting, decent cinematography, and leaves you wondering...but not in the way that I hate. I hate the no answer endings. This ending is clear, but leaves you wondering what the future holds...
February 14, 2014
A well narrated & stylishly made movie, though the ending might seem a bit cruel to some, but that is what makes this movie quite impressive, to question justice, do we always receive it or are we convinced with what might seem comfortable to us
January 17, 2014
The silence is deafening in this disturbing noir flick.
½ January 11, 2014
"The Silence, in almost every scene, is about loss or loneliness. It's really more about regrets in life than it is depression. With each character, it's different; but it all flows together. SPOILER: Even the "solving" of the crime was a loss because justice as not fully done. There were no stereotypical characters except the bald police chief who was always wrong. Having the characters act like real people made it difficult to predict the plot. Will maybe leave some still wondering what is going on at the end of the film."
January 8, 2014
A dark and eerie chiller that keeps you on the edge of your seat while you wait for that happy ending that will probably never come.
½ January 5, 2014
Surprisingly good, complex european thriller about phedopiles. There's just one problem about it, cinematographer have high point shoots fetish so i'm taking half star away.
December 27, 2013
A young girl is raped and murdered. Twenty three years later, the same thing happens again in the same way. This film follows the investigations and the lives of the people it involves. It's hardly as compelling and convincing as the other German masterpiece by Fritz Lang M, which deals with a lot of the same themes including paedophilia, yet there are elements that make it sufficiently gripping and mysterious. Nevertheless, despite an interestingly different approach, there are cop TV series that seem similar nowadays.
December 19, 2013
I cannot remember the last time I saw a Film as moving as "The Silence"
½ December 8, 2013
Excellent German thriller. I will leave it at that to avoid spoilers