The Singing Revolution - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Singing Revolution Reviews

December 7, 2012
Sounds informative and tentative.
June 9, 2012
What a story of the triumph of the human spirit!
April 18, 2012
How Estonia resisted Nazi and Russian occupation through public song. Good for singers and free-expression geeks.
April 13, 2012
Read the critic's reviews - they give it a decent appraisal for the most part. This documentary is inspirational - a Never Give Up attitude that can change the world.
January 25, 2012
the singing revolution
November 12, 2011
not interested in this ...
November 12, 2011
Looks really moving.
May 30, 2011
Recommended by Wayne & Karen Johnson
January 1, 2011
: An inspiring film about the human spirit's resilience, tenacity, and capacity for non-violent change on a national scale. It also happens to be an excellent, though necessarily brief, documentary on the history of Estonia over the last 100 years. I would give this film 10 stars, but then, these are my people on screen.
April 10, 2010
singing?musical ke?not interested
December 11, 2009
When people of a nation stand up against oppression and occupation, when they use their history and their traditions to make a very deep patriotic spirit live and p, when they manage to gain freedom just with their own strength...
A very powerful and moving demonstration of how people can make a real revolution without using violence.
If you know just a little about Estonia and Estonian history this is an absolute must. If you don't know anything about this little country you shouldn't miss the chance to get to know what Estonian have been incredibly able to do.
February 28, 2009
it is a pretty documentary about this little country ''Estonia" but somehow it wasnt that convincing and the plot somehow showed all the soviet as occupiers and stuff which i really dont beleive
½ February 22, 2009
:fresh: :fresh: :fresh: :fresh: :fresh: :fresh: :fresh:

This is a very important film that every American should see to better appreciate what we take for granted.
February 14, 2009
You'll learn more about Estonia than you ever did before and you'll also realize how many of us take our freedom for granted. The documentary does lack in feeling for a specific person or persons.
December 15, 2008
no thanks not my thing
September 9, 2008
It is hard to watch a documentary on a subject you don't care about at all, it's even harder to watch when the documentary fails to make you care about it's subject matter.
½ September 3, 2008
Interesting, specially considering that I know very little about Estonia, it gives some basic background about the modern history of that country.
August 16, 2008
I liked it, a little too long and indepth on the history, but overall good
August 16, 2008
Interesting documentary, although not quite what I expected. Although the background on this unique Estonian revolution is certainly important, I felt it went a bit too heavy on the history and light on the music. I had expected more on the significance of singing in Estonian culture, the background on some of their folk songs, etc. Although it touched on personal stories, going into more depth would have increased my interest and connection with the film. I learned a lot and was moved by the resolve of the Estonian people, but one big pet peeve - (SPOILER ALERT) - THEY NEVER LET YOU HEAR THE FULL SONG while showing the poem it's based on. You keep getting teased by the idea that you'll actually hear the whole thing, then someone always ends up talking over it! That frustrated me. I think it would have been very powerful to hear the song in it's entirely with the translation at the end of the film. Trust me, intelligent audiences can handle it! Was fortunate to hear the film maker speak in the theatre afterwards though, and have a lot of respect for his (and his wife's) creation. Not a "must see" - but a worthwhile way to pass a few hours.