The Smell of Success - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Smell of Success Reviews

June 1, 2015
Disappointing. I expected more of this given the comedy potential of the story idea and the decent cast. Visually stunning but poorly scripted. Just not funny or interesting enough.
May 8, 2015
Fine, off putting at some points, but still genuinely entertaining comedy film.
January 18, 2015
This is a movie about manure salesman. The dialogue reminds us of this fact again and again and again and again and again and again with one poo joke after another. So in that spirit I'm going to write this review in exactly the style of this film's dialogue: This is one of the SHITTIEST comedies I've seen in a long while. What the hell are Billy Bob Thornton, Kyle MacLachlan, and Ed Helms doing in this MESS? And poor Tea Leoni; it's too bad she has to appear in CRAP like this. She must be in a financial PINCH. Director Michael Polish does an EXCREMENTAL job here. His visuals look as though they come from commercials; commercials about POOP, probably. The TURD of a story on offer here is not worth expanding on, since it's hardly substantial enough to MAKE A SPLASH. Someone ought to SQUAT over this MOUND and then throw it in the TOILET where it belongs. This film, in case I haven't been absolutely clear, is a PILE OF SHIT.

There. Having read my review, you don't need to see the film, because that's EXACTLY what it's like. Don't waste your time.
½ September 1, 2014
In "The Smell of Success," Mr. Rose(Patrick Bauchau) dies, leaving his manure business to his daughter Rosemary(Tea Leoni), a cosmetics salesperson. She immediately fires everyone. But then soon realizes with the company's huge debts and production that might not have been the right way to go, and soon rehires everybody, especially Patrick Fitzpatrick(Billy Bob Thornton), the lead salesman. However, there are a couple of obstacles in Agent Chestnut(D.W. Moffett) of the FTC and Milagro Industries in their way.

For a movie that shares a child's exuberance for all things manure, "The Smell of Success" is actually not bad. It's not really good either, even as it mostly favors word play over vulgarity. That simply leaves a lot of the humor and nearly all of the plot involving a war of pranks. In return, the movie wastes a good cast, especially Billy Bob Thornton and the underrated Tea Leoni.
January 23, 2013
I was pleasantly surprised. I thought this was funny and beautifully filmed. I guess the Polish Brothers aren't for everybody.
January 8, 2013
Tuesday, January 8, 2013

(2011) The Smell Of Success

Good ending but totally unfunny which stars Billy Bob Thorton as Patrick who works for a manure to fertilizer Rose company selling to farmers as their poential customers. The owner then passes away leaving the company in the hands of it's daughter Rosemary Rose played by Tea Leoni. She then finds out that her father has always been on debt resorting to laying off all it's workers. As a result of not knowing how to manage it, she then seeks the help to Patrick since he was supposedly to be the company's best seller again as well as 5 other employees to help pay off the debt. It is at that particular moment is when another fertilizer company drops in with attemptions to populate it's farming fields as opposed to Rose's. They battle it out but in an unfunny perhaps boring kind of way. Filmed on a stage but doesn't address the issue of trying to sell it somewhere else since they're farming communties all over.

2 out of 4
December 20, 2012
an odd styled film. a bit like a coen brothers film but not to their level. it started out good, funny and a story line but then it kind of lost its way and became slow and dull.
November 29, 2012
Completely daft, à la Coen Brothers (at their best) a lovely if smelly satire of Monsanto et al... all in all a shitty business
½ August 12, 2012
Funny little movie. Quirky. Nice movie to watch on a rainy day.
June 10, 2012
Billy Bob Thornton as a manure salesman, going against a chemical fertilizer company. Slightly entertaining, it has a few good lines but is really just a middling comedy. Recommended if you're bored and looking for something just a little off-beat.
May 1, 2012
Yeah. Suggestion for you? Before you watch this movie? Do something. Hell, do yourself. But don't watch the movie.
April 24, 2012
"The Smell of Success" is a movie to avoid. These salesmen are selling manure. That's it. This is hammered into our heads with so many "fecal jokes" that by the end of the first half hour you just want them to stop. The salesmen are called "bullsh*tters," for no other reason than to "make a joke." One salesman is even called "sh*t for brains." Nothing is any other color but brown. Brown filters are purposely used with CGI brown landscapes and brown cars. Enough! We get it !!! The worst thing about this flick is that you keep watching it to see if it can get any worse. Then the one punch ending. Ugh! The reason there is "No Score Yet" from the critics is that even THEY don't want to waste their time watching it.
April 19, 2012
I really expected more out of a movie with Billy Bob Thornton. The cast is great with Tia Leone and Ed Helms among others. It was entertaining to pass the time, I guess but I can give it no more than 3 stars.
½ April 7, 2012
Unique idea and strong opening are marred with cartoon-like bad guys and immature execution. Has some great camera choreography though. Worth watching, but only if you check your brain in at the door and know its crap going in.
½ March 25, 2012
A movie about a guy who sells shit, lets say I have never seen so many shit jokes in one movie in my life and it sort of works. Looks and is shot like it was a 50s movie. It succeeds no doubt but outside of the shit jokes while it doesn't stink like shit and it isn't shit, is not very good either.
½ January 23, 2012
Humorous for the first ten minutes...
½ December 15, 2011
This is the worst movie I have seen all year. Billy Bob is not a salesman, no way, and Tea Leoni is uninteresting. You can only hear so many poop jokes.
August 22, 2011
Points for being very original, that's what I'm giving here. It's sometimes Lynch-like, and Thornton pulls of the lead with perfection. Colourful it's not, but that's not the point. Enjoy this weird ride and the welltimed jokes.
August 19, 2011
Great movie, Billy was funny Tea looked amazing. Ed Helms and Garry Marshall stole the movie. Can't wait to buy the DVD