The Son of the Sheik Reviews

• Jan 05, 2018

Two Rudolph Valentinos wagging their swords in small circles at a crowd of vicious attackers.

• Jul 18, 2015

I don't think I'm capable of enjoying silent films very much, although the Alloy orchestra accompanying on a nice night in the park certainly helped.

• Apr 12, 2015

Valentino's last pic b4 his untimely death.

Valentino's last pic b4 his untimely death.

• Aug 17, 2013

It was a great movie kept my attention, I love he plays his father also in this movie!

• Jul 15, 2013

The Shiek Ahmed Ben Hassan (Valentino): "I am not accustomed having my orders disobeyed." Lady Diana Mayo (Agnes Ayres): "And I am not accustomed to obeying orders." To be honest I didn't think this film was going to be as engaging as its more modern counterparts because it lacked a certain cinematic sophistication but I think the lack of a spoken dialogue made me pay attention more to the actors' body language and made me concentrate more on their facial expressions; plus, the written dialogue was also very clever and witty, one can't help but completely become enamored with the film. Valentino was an interesting actor, I would love to see a behind-the-scenes of this film because his "technique" was just too inappropriately comical sometimes, although it didn't deter from his overall performance. Agnes Ayres was a wonderful heroine, even though her character tries to be a "modern" woman: adventurous and outspoken, she ends up being the stereotypical damsel who predictably develops Stockholm syndrome. But for me, the most memorable performance belonged to Adolphe Menjou (who plays Dr. Raoul de St. Hubert), he acted as how you would expect a classical stage actor would, more serious and less ham-ish like Valentino's performance. Overall, this more was surprisingly entertaining but an eye-opening experience for me because in the future I wouldn't be as quick to dismiss viewing a silent film.

• Jan 24, 2013

Just as hammy as the first one. Funny in all the wrong ways.

Just as hammy as the first one. Funny in all the wrong ways.

• Oct 23, 2012

Really only worth seeing as historical curiosity.

Really only worth seeing as historical curiosity.

• Dec 08, 2011

Not as good as "The Sheik" but still thoroughly entertaining. Valentino plays dual roles as son and father. It was his last film he made.

• Nov 22, 2011

Love in the desert, this was great fun.

Love in the desert, this was great fun.

• Sep 05, 2011

A very good exciting sequel. The film after which many flapper girls when into heartbreak, even some committed suicide in response to Valentino's sudden death at 31. Like the original, A classic of silent cinema.