The Source: The Story of the Beats and the Beat Generation Reviews

• Jul 12, 2014

A pretty lively and entertaining look at how three writers (Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsberg, William S. Burroughs) and their friends changed the cultural landscape of America from the conservatism of the 1950's to the spiritual revolution of counterculture in the 1960's and changed the way we look at art, politics, war, etc. forever. It is also quite refreshing to have three famous actors reading passages from the works of these men over the footage and interviews with those who participated in the Beat Generation's revolution of culture.

• Oct 01, 2012

My sister and I had every film he ever did. This was a hard one to find on the old VHS.

• Sep 12, 2012

I'll admit that the biggest reason I didn't like this was because I'm not remotely interested in the subject matter. In fact, I only rented it because Johnny Depp was involved. So I'm probably not really in a place to write a negative review, but I can say that if this isn't something you're already interested in, this film will not change your mind.

• Aug 27, 2012

Not sure what to make of this one.....

Not sure what to make of this one.....

• Mar 24, 2010

I love this ! It's a amazing film if you want to learn about the Beat Generation . I also found it very inspiring !

• Dec 27, 2009

People tend to underestimate Turturros brilliant take on Howl.

People tend to underestimate Turturros brilliant take on Howl.

• Aug 01, 2009

as far as the information stuff is concerned, you get the basics about the Beat Generation. what is surely better are all those brilliant footages which cannot be found elsewhere.

• Jul 16, 2009

having an obsession to bat movement and writers, i of course enjoyed this a great deal. recommended for anyone interested in the beats, an interesting documentary with great performances from johnny depp as jack kerouac, dennis hopper as william burroughs and john turturro as allen ginsberg, my favourite beat.

• Jan 17, 2009

Johnny Depp sucks balls!

Johnny Depp sucks balls!

• Dec 21, 2008

The Source is retelling of the lives of three writers, played by three actors. Johnny Depp-Jack Kerouac, Dennis Hopper-Williams Burroughs, and John Turturro-Allen Ginsberg. It is interesting and full of History. Sometimes it is alittle slow, but worth watching.