The Spy Who Came In from the Cold Reviews

• Dec 31, 2020

A slow burning thriller that proves spy movies don't need to be filled with shootouts, car chases and gadgets to be entertaining. Richard Burton can be a little hard to understand at times, so you might want subtitles

• Nov 16, 2020

What a serious and bleak tone. Real tight and interesting camera work. Very stylish and cool. I'm glad Alec met the girl working at the library. She seems to shed some positive light on his dreary, cynical and alcohol-filled life. I hope they delve into his story and how he came to be the man he is. That was cool watching how one of those old cigarette dispensing machines from the 60's works. Richard Burton's eyes are so expressive and he's actually not too bad of a looking guy. Great acting form his part as well. I like his cool and calm demeanor and the way he cynically laughs at things. I really liked the chemistry between Fiedler and Alec. It was like the actors understood each other and could just work off each other seamlessly. Holy fucking shit. When Miss Perry, Alec's girlfriend, shows up at the trial! What an incredible twist! She had no idea that she was there as a witness in order to rightfully convict Alec into prison. Wow, that was fucked up how they shot her as she was climbing the wall. I guess they couldn't leave any loose ends running about. At least Alec decided he didn't want to keep living and they died together. Now they're both together eternally. There's something about spy movies that kind of bores me but also interests me at the same time. I don't know if it's the mood they usually give off or if it's just the plot in the movie. I think the whole secretive, behind the scenes espionage thing interests me, but the way they portray in some movies just bores me. Like the whole tone and feel of it. Very witty and sharp dialogue throughout this movie, it almost makes you grin. Very unique shots throughout the movie as well. I don't know why but it almost feels like I've seen this movie before. It has a particular nostalgic feel to it. This ended up being a fantastic movie that isn't just a spy movie. It's also an interesting courtroom drama with twists and turns and also an atmospheric feel it it. Powerfully acted, brilliantly scripted and wonderfully shot. I want to watch it again just to pick up on things that I missed since there was a lot of dialogue and things going on.

• Sep 01, 2020

Almost good, but I certainly lost interest.

Almost good, but I certainly lost interest.

• Jul 18, 2020

It is really slow but the acting will make you stick with it.

It is really slow but the acting will make you stick with it.

• Jul 16, 2020

The spies crafted by le Carré are characteristically a blend of quiet professionalism and self-loathing that feels stirringly genuine; they find themselves caught in the mortal consequences of dueling (and all too similar) ideologies with only brief glimpses at the immediate consequences of their actions. Instead, they bear the weight of responsibility well after the deed itself is done, accepting the necessary nature of their role but remaining far from immune to the emotional toll. Burton tackles one such example of this archetype with deft skill, and Ritt's direction masterfully builds tension in a film largely told through dialogue rather than action, despite a particularly slow pace. An often overlooked classic in the spy genre that stands in stark opposition to the constant motion and superficiality of early Bond. (4.5/5)

• May 12, 2020

This is a very good movie and stands the test of time. Richard Burton i.s outstanding, as is the rest if the cast. Definitely worth watching!

• Apr 06, 2020

A good, solid cold war spy thriller concerning double-agents, disinformation and betrayal. Good acting, direction and script. The love interest seemed out of place, unnecessary and forced.

• Oct 26, 2019

A brilliant, realistic, gritty episode from the Cold War that features Richard Burton at his smoldering best, and an excellent supporting cast. Highly recommended for its complexity, humanity and realism.

• Jan 27, 2019

An ideal part for Richard Burton.

An ideal part for Richard Burton.

• Dec 14, 2018

I’ve always been interested in films about spies, whether they are the realistic kind or the more fantastical ones like James Bond. The Spy Who Came in from the Cold is a great example of the realistic spy. Richard Burton isn’t running through enemy nations with guns blazing, he’s just looking for in-roads so he can start spreading disinformation to destabilize enemy governments from the inside. Admittedly, this kind of espionage isn’t as thrilling, and the pace of this film can be tedious at times. I felt a lot of tension in the later scenes that made up for some of the times when the movie dragged. Burton is spectacular in the movie, even though half his role is just acting grumpy or drunk. I’ll admit that there were a few times that I struggled to puzzle through what was happening, but when all the pieces fell into place, I found it fascinating. There were even a few twists and turns in the end that changed the context of what had come before. The Spy Who Came in from the Cold isn’t a great movie, and I might never watch it again, but it was good enough to keep me thinking about it for hours after the movie ended.