The Staircase Reviews

• May 17, 2013

This is the most riveting documentary I've ever seen.

This is the most riveting documentary I've ever seen.

• May 17, 2013

Two films mixed up here. The 2004 & 2006 release dates listed here are for a 6-hour true-crime mini-series titled "The Staircase," directed by Jean-Xavier de Lestrade. The film chronicles the actual mystery murder trial of Durham, North Carolina author Michael Peterson's wife, found dead on the couple's staircase. The original French title for that film is "Soupcons." As of this writing, that film appears to be missing from the Flixster database. The Barbara Hershey DVD cover and list of actors posted here are all for a 1998 made-4-TV 94-minute film directed by Karen Arthur, also titled "The Staircase." I've actually reported this incorrect information. TWICE. Eventually someone just punches it off as fixed ... without doing anything ... to get rid of the work queue. Then I get an email saying it's fixed. When it's not. Welcome to the new economy.

• May 17, 2013

I watched all 7 episodes in one day. If you like true crime this is a must see. It left me thinking about it for weeks. Just a great treatment of crime, justice, the legal system, family, and personal history.

• May 17, 2013

Phenomenal documentary that will keep you hooked until the bitter end.

Phenomenal documentary that will keep you hooked until the bitter end.

The movie was pretty, but a little boring. Nice casting of William L Petersen

The movie was pretty, but a little boring. Nice casting of William L Petersen

• May 17, 2013

One of the most mesmerizing pieces of film I have seen. The film follows Michael Peterson through his trial for murder with unlimited access. The twists and turns of this trial would be unbelievable if this were a piece of fiction. Beyond that there are themes related to the workings of the American legal system, corruption through officials, experts cloaking themselves in objectivity, the role of the media in proceedings, and the bias of documentary making. It is all quite intoxicating. * The synopsis and director appear correct in the Flixster profile, though the cast and title image appear off kilter.

• May 17, 2013

It's good to see more Christian movies, but we can do without the uneven dialog and the hokey fictional elements that were added to make the original story more interesting.