The Stanford Prison Experiment Reviews

• Jun 02, 2019

This is amazing movie. Psychology, Ethics, and Social Studies Major should definitely watch this, or at least learn about the real experiment.

• May 20, 2019

The head guard did an amazing job at his accent and at keeping the prisoners in line for the most part, but he was a little too good at what he did. This just goes to show you why experiments like this shouldn't take place.

• Feb 13, 2019

WOW. this is SO incredibly interesting & also very very sad. makes me feel even more awful about humans than i already felt. but SO incredibly interesting. i've heard of this study before & i actually own The Lucifer Effect i just haven't read it yet... i picked it up from a garage sale a while ago & because i don't normally read synopses i didn't realize that it was based on this experiment. will definitely be reading that ASAP.

• Feb 08, 2019

Strengths: The concept of this film and the real experiment it is based on is fascinating. You canâ(TM)t help but get sucked in watching these characters either fold under the pressure or let the power go to their head. There are some great performances here. Ezra Miller (Daniel Culp) gets a lot of shine early of as the main prisoner given focus. Tye Sheridan (Peter Mitchell) also shines in this position. Itâ(TM)s so intriguing because you feel like theyâ(TM)re kind of pathetic for cracking without a ton fo bad happening to them, yet also feel sympathy because they arenâ(TM)t real prisoners and shouldnâ(TM)t be subjected to this. Billy Crudup (Dr. Phillip Zimbardo), Nelsan Ellis (Jesse Fletcher), Gaius Charles (Paul Vogel), Miles Heizer (Marshall Lovett) and Logan Miller (Jerry Sherman) are all good in their roles. Michael Angarano (Christopher Archer) is probably the standout as the awful guard taking things too far. The atmosphere set throughout is dark and uneasy. There are many scenes that are uncomfortable to watch in the best possible way. Weaknesses: Olivia Thirlby (Dr. Christina Maslach) is one of the best things about the movie. Sheâ(TM)s in the weakness section because the movie needed to use her more. Even if she wasnâ(TM)t there for the real events, you can alter things for a movie retelling so itâ(TM)s not a straight documentary. Having her around more wouldâ(TM)ve made for more intriguing moments between her and Zimbardo. Itâ(TM)s hard to put my finger on what it is exactly, but this movie was missing something. It executes a ton very well and doesnâ(TM)t do a lot poorly, but it also doesnâ(TM)t fully click for some reason as something truly special. Overall: Everything is well done in this movie, from the acting to the atmosphere. Itâ(TM)s one of the better films of 2015, but it was missing an âitâ? factor to put it in contention for the best.

• Jan 23, 2019

I remember learning about "The Stanford Prison Experiment" in one of my psychology classes in college. I remember being both disturbed yet intrigued by it. This film is a chilling and disturbing retelling of this experiment. The film creates a tension-filled atmosphere in which anything could happen and is a glimpse into what everyday people are capable of. It is definitely a tough film to watch and it's definitely not one anyone should go into with a casual mindset but I think it is very well-made and grippingly acted. The film made me go back and watch videos and read articles online to look up how accurate this movie is, and the scariest part about the whole thing is that it is a very accurate portrayal of the actual events. The movie is unsettling and is not one I will soon forget.

• Dec 23, 2018

This is possible the worst film I have ever seen. 2 hours of my life completely wasted that I will never get back. Suspense ? More like absolute shit. Nothing happened throughout this whole film, I expected some sort of huge twist at the end? Yet nothing happened ? The experiment was just "called off". What a complete waste of time. No one should watch this film. Ever.

• Dec 02, 2018

Watchable but could have been a bit better!

Watchable but could have been a bit better!

• Dec 02, 2018

Amazingly hard to watch

Amazingly hard to watch

• Dec 01, 2018

For me, this movie just lacked the "it" factor. I think the movie did all it could possibly do, and did it well, but simply lacked the freedom to make it more dramatic. By being so true to real events, the movie lacks the extra drama and magic that could reel viewers in even more. There is nothing wrong with the movie by any means, do not get me wrong. It's an excellent re-telling of the events, but lacks the magic that could draw audiences in a little more.

• Nov 11, 2018

A psychologically challenging movie, for sure. The fact that this flick is based on a very true experiment just gives it a much more unnerving and awful feeling to it. And it's also supported by very strong and devout performances by Billy Crudup and Michael Angarano, among others. It's a slow-burning pic, but the constant psychological abuse actually makes this a little uneasy to watch, and it will stick to you for a while. But overall, this is a well made illustration of an experiment gone wrong. Recommended!!