The Story of the Weeping Camel - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Story of the Weeping Camel Reviews

½ October 5, 2018
very slow and uninteresting. almost fell asleep.
September 22, 2017
I love learning about new cultures, and The Story of the Weeping Camel gave me insight into a world I didn't know before. This is a very simple movie-the filmmakers point the camera at the everyday lives of this Mongolian family without commentary or agenda-and yet it got me emotionally involved. This is a documentary in its purest form and it's worth a watch.
June 22, 2014
An original look at a totally different way of family life, and how music is a universal language. Really cool.
May 19, 2014
Slow, very very slow.
½ April 29, 2014
Mubi.
The documentary was nominated for an Oscar in the category Best Documentary at the 77th Academy Awards.[4]

International Film Critics Award, 2004 San Francisco International Film Festival[5]
White Camel Award, 2006 Sahara International Film Festival
½ April 11, 2014
A charming, convincing film about real life for yurt-dwellers in the Gobi Desert and their camels
April 7, 2013
"The Story of the Weeping Camel" is about the bonds of family. The film is an intimate story of a nomadic extended family (grandparents, mom and dad and their children) living in the Mongolia's Gobi Dessert as they try to reconcile the relationship between one of their camels and its white offspring. The mother camel rejects her colt. While the pacing of the movie is a bit slow, such is life in the desert. The entire family works together to help the camels. With only their yurt and a small wood burning stove, there is less dysfunction and more genuine love here than a modern Western family. The ending of the film is magical, as a musician performs a "Hoos" ceremony to help the mother camel accept her child.
February 12, 2013
An unusual story, set in Mongolia. I enjoyed it's sensibility & subtle charm.
½ February 4, 2013
A fascinating film of a incredible real life Mongolian Family who are goat & camel hurdlers.

The director stayed with these people for 4-5 months to study them & be there when the magical moment happens.

The family is tied to a camel who has a difficult birth of a colt & rejects it's young & the family aim to build that connection but nothing works.

The boys of the family set off to find a musician to perform the ritual that with the right music will make the camel weep & connect with it's colt.

It's a beautiful and times slow film of refreshing characters & natural life...a incredible achievement & a must see.
November 13, 2012
viewed on 20/10/04 (Wed)

Watching this docudrama has a kind of calming effect. Everything happens so placidly. There is no hurry at all to tell the story and even at a screensaver mode, you will not miss much and still appreciate it.

Yes there is a crisis. A mother camel refuses her new colt her milk and hence the family has to send the eldest son and his chubby younger brother to town to ... look for musician. The second last scene is the musician playing the music somehow coaxing the mother camel to feed her colt. It works and the mother camel appears to be crying hence the title. The last scene is the family celebrating the occasion as if the camel is very much a part of the family.

I admit I do not really jump out of my seat and applaud for the movie but I have to say it is really an eye-opening experience to see such a truly docudrama when documentary and drama weaves together so seamlessly.

Rating: B+
Expected Rating: B
September 18, 2012
Fascinating documentary that felt very natural, even if I don't know much about Mongolian culture or camels. A sweet film that is definitly moving. It's so sad to see the rejected colt. It's also very interesting to see the way Mongolians live, their standards and their so very different values. A reminder for many of us I believe. There are also so very nice shooting here in this touching story - many well captured moments. Sadly, this documentary felt a bit polished and "to good to be true" at times. Still - a lovely film.
½ July 24, 2012
the monumental scene in this film is when the son desperately wants a television set. the grandfather is not too pleased by this. after learning about their nomadic life and their dependence on a herd of camels, you come to realize how engaging their life is without any outside disturbances, disturbances that would ruin the integrity of their culture and the integrity of the film.
May 20, 2012
made me cry. brilliant see it.
April 4, 2012
Fascinating observation of life in Mongolia. Music therapy for camels? It seems to work, and the music beautiful.
March 31, 2012
In Mongolian; Mongolia.
½ March 1, 2012
An amazing film about a nomadic family in Mongolia having trouble for a camel who after a painful birth won't accept her little baby camel

If you haven't seen it- do so ! It's an amazing story and SO different from any other film I've seen
December 24, 2011
gotta be patient watching this but it's a really nice documentary of a camel taking care of her child with the help of a Mongolian family.
November 2, 2011
Very interesting movie
September 24, 2011
This docudrama is an absolute delight. It moves along slowly giving the audience a real feeling about how the nomadic Mogolian people live. Brilliant and very moving.
½ July 24, 2011
This is, surprisingly, a favorite of my daughter's