The Strange Case Of Angelica - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Strange Case Of Angelica Reviews

August 3, 2016
Oliveira is at his most self-indulgent, throwing gorgeous visual compositions in a strange film that never decides if it is supposed to be a technically refined drama or a surrealistic comedy, while the actors overact, the dialogue is terrible and the nonsensical plot leads nowhere.
July 28, 2014
It was entered into the Un Certain Regard section of the 2010 Cannes Film Festival.
½ June 22, 2014
There is a high contrast between the "inside" and the "outside" of "The strange case of Angelica" and this creates the feeling of two worlds colliding(much like in its protagonist's life).
May 11, 2013
It's quite a struggle to enjoy this film. In a bigger plot, it is nonsensical. But every tiny piece of it is somewhat intriguing. This is a festival-type of movie. Beware.
December 30, 2012
Sometimes you have to feel that it is a film, pretty far from Holly Wood's nonsense special effects . Then you can feel the way of an artistic approach from the director and the other staff through the movie. I felt like more or less watching a theater rather than a movie about this film. So pure and simple, so scenery and appealing.
½ December 21, 2012
Very strange movie to surreal for my taste.
September 6, 2012
One beautiful shot after another, but I have never really connected with MdO, because I don't think he really cares about people connecting with his films. The man was 102 when he made this, and when you already have a foot on the far shore, satisfying an audience is probably the last thing on your mind.
July 23, 2012
a typical art house movie does not contain eeriness of an horror movie and also lacks the romance of the romantic movie. an strictly ok movie.
July 22, 2012
Not particularly funny, not particularly fresh. Since I couldn't wait for it to end, I'm probably too old. Not the director's fault.
June 22, 2012
A strange film that's actually not really all that strange in an era where strange films are quite common. de OIiveira's visual craft is superb. In fact, the film warrants a profound study just solely on the visuals alone. But it's a shame that this is a film and not a painting as the visuals do not make up for the lack of coherency in the writing. The dialogue is really horrendous at times with on-the-nose exposition seeking to explain and elaborate on what we already know and the overarching plot is rather silly. The premise of seeing ghosts through a camera is an interesting one, but de Oliviera doesn't develop this at all and the ghost sightings become more annoying than intriguing. Furthermore, the romance between Issac and Angelica is immensely contrived. The characters have literally no reason to be in love with each other and Issac just spends most of the film wandering around without much purpose. The entire concept of "love at first sight" is a bit shaky at best and de Oliviera seems to grasp on to the concept as if it's a God-sent universal truth. Thus, Issac and Angelica's romance couldn't be more uninteresting in a film that's apparently about love. Minimalist films without a strong cause and effect can work well to communicate a theme or message: such as Blow Up. But The Strange Case of Angelica is minimalist to a fault where too little happens and what does occur happens with too little logic and reasoning behind it. Ultimately, de Oliviera seems to have an idea for a film and all he did was shoot that idea without further thought. A film can lack a traditional story structure, but it cannot lack a purpose. The Strange Case of Angelica seems to lack both.
January 22, 2012
Mostly enchanting movie from the 102 year old de Oliveira. A very unique love story which could only be told by someone in touch with their own mortality. Great use of Chopin to create a mood of nostalgia. Though seemingly set in modern day, this film feels like it should be set in the early 20th century.
January 22, 2012
this movie had no point
too many lingering establishing shots and so morbid
the scenery's beautiful but I need something to keep my attention
½ November 28, 2011
Just a bunch of weird images that most don't make sense. The dialogues were weak and the plot was dumb. The most lively acting was delivered by a corpse.
October 28, 2011
The trailer looks amusing, not really for the feature. Although looks awkwardly funny by its old-fashioned directing & narrative, plus theatrical delivery, its incoherency & slow moving are really turn-off.
September 29, 2011
WTF. Soo not interested!
September 27, 2011
I hate reading movies
½ September 25, 2011
The Strange Case of Angelica has some interesting themes going on (madness, pure love, whimsy, old-fashioned culture, the strange and unfathomable future) but it never managed to connect with me. I admired the beautiful scenery of Portugal, and Ricardo Trepa's performance is oddly funny due in part to it's self-seriousness, but the film itself felt lackadaisically dull.
September 23, 2011
Another fine achievement by 102 year old Portuguese director Manoel de Oliveira. The film feels like a photograph that you look at and find the story within each section you view. The film works with the idea that it's whimsy, never taking itself that serious. Even the simple music - a piano helps weave the fable.
September 23, 2011
i dont want to c this one