The Strange Ones - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Strange Ones Reviews

½ June 6, 2018
Made no sense at all, finished the movie with no sense of direction or semblance of a conclusion.
May 24, 2018
Between a 5/10 and 6/10, Its pastiche elements never form into something that feels uniquely compelling.
February 6, 2018
One of those take-it-or-leave it movies where you either surrender completely to the mood and style of the filmmaking or start questioning why you're still watching this. I chose the first option and didn't regret it.
½ January 28, 2018
worst movie ever. calling it a movie is an insult to movies. everyone involved in this should immediately quit the film-making business (1 viewing)
January 23, 2018
STUPID MOVIE with an ending that makes no sense.
½ January 15, 2018
Earnest performances and a decent showing of time and place, can't quite save this film from its pacing. The story isn't overly original, but it is told in a pretty original way. I just wish it hadn't been so sllow and dull.
½ January 10, 2018
Watched the first 20 minutes and it just didn't go anywhere so I gave up in the end. Still no wiser as to what the film was about.
January 9, 2018
Suspenseful, mysterious and dark, this film fairs much better upon 2nd viewing. There are details that reveal a lot in the beginning of the film that aren't clear until the very end. The writing is very subtle, nonlinear story telling but the excellent performances keep one engaged yet puzzled. The direction and cinematography are incredible! I could look at Alex Pettyrfer all day long and he really has the chops for this character. James Freedson-Jackson gives a most heartbreaking performance. Nothing in this film "hits you over the head" like the usual Hollywood garbage.
½ December 29, 2017
I'm all for mystery and audience interpretation - but this script felt more like a stream of perverted consciousness that led absolutely nowhere at any given time. Like a hodgepodge of bad dreams, with no direction or no coherent point. The acting is good, and the direction keeps it creepy - but I wish I could have those 80 minutes back.
½ December 17, 2017
Thought this movie was intriguing and left me with some questions that I want answered! I watched it twice to try to figure some things out. Well worth the watch.
December 16, 2017
The Strange Ones is one of those movies where in the first half you are thinking...anytime now we are going to get the plot twist or at least understand what is happening. Then as the movie drones on with it's depressive tones and boring story line you slowly realize that there isn't going to be a payoff. Nope, no payoff here folks. No unexpected plot twists come along to save you. It goes on and on, with the same tone and you will slowly figure it out. What a waste of time. This is one of those movies that critics love to blabber on about but is nearly unwatchable. Why do critics love such horrible movies? To be honest I think it makes them feel smart but with this movie even that is a stretch.
December 16, 2017
Movie is slow and goes no where. Hard to follow and don't get the point.
November 13, 2017
"The Strange Ones" presents the audience with a title that should be taken literally - it's a very strange film. It's also hard to talk about "The Strange Ones" without giving away key plot points, as the film starts with a mysterious premise, slowly filling in the blanks with unexpected twists. This debut feature by Christopher Radcliff and Lauren Wolkstein delivers on an original strategy to develop the stories timeline, crafting something unlike anything we've seen before. It's slow paced but riddled with anxiety that, despite the slow momentum of the film, will keep you mesmerized until the satisfying conclusion. Lead actor James Freedson-Jackson ("Cop Car") delivered a stunning performance that wholly characterizes confusion, melancholia, prepubescent masculinity and mental struggles. You may not love the movie directly after its conclusion, or you may not love it until its conclusion, but it will latch on to you after the film and resonate for days to come