The Strangers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Strangers Reviews

½ March 7, 2017
A sharp and genuinely scary slow burn thriller. Gorgeously shot and briskly paced with plenty of kick.
February 9, 2017
One of the most realistic horror shows of all time.
February 5, 2017
What I Liked about this film is that it was very scary And It had a lot of loud scenes That's what I liked so much about it GOOD JOB!!! HAVE A COOKIE!
December 30, 2016
The Strangers has tension to spare. It's the very antithesis of claustrophobia. It's a tad too workmanlike to really elevate itself from the rank and file of the genre. It's good for a spell, it's a quick kill. Nasty, dirty, fast and cheap; unfortunately...just not strange enough.
½ December 28, 2016
I was really surprised by all the negative reviews for this film. Then again, it's all subjective. I found this "based on a true story" to be gripping and intense with some great scares. A "things that go bump in the night" setup for some true terror, including a very disturbing climax. Watch with all the lights out and the volume LOUD.
November 26, 2016
An offensively cliche movie made wonderful by plainly good performances and a delightfully simple plot. Easy, scary watch that arguably knows its place and takes full advantage of that by riddling it with textbook dialogue and a lot of distressed Liv Tyler.
November 4, 2016
As delivering scares go, The Strangers does not fail you. Apparently based on some frightening true events, it's a very good and disturbing home invasion flick with good actors, a lot of shadow use and a camera that doesn't always stay still, which gave me the impression of a lot of movement going on. It's a rather simple plot, but it's truly on scary movie. Recommended !!
November 2, 2016
Pros: The mystery/suspense part of the movie. It keeps you guessing and you're not sure what the bad guys' next move is going to be. The concept of the movie is pretty good and not a direct copy of other movies.

Cons: Though the suspense is good, it seems to never reach its full potential. Why did the villains do what they did? What was their motive? Also, it would have been nice to know more about them. I had the feeling, at some point, there was going to be too much violence in this movie...and in the end, there was very very little(a bad thing because it seems the movie is leading you to think that way).

Overall though, it was good and enjoyable. And though it is a little slow at times, it was NOT boring. I would rate it 6/10 OR 3/5
½ October 17, 2016
My favorite scary movie
½ October 15, 2016
Brilliantly Creepy, and suspenseful in every way. This movie had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. Who would've thought someone knocking on your door could end up like that. It only makes it more creepy that it actually happened!
½ September 22, 2016
This movie is No Bloody But its so scaryyy?
½ August 23, 2016
I just couldn't have fun with this one. I came in knowing the outcome and I basically watched the outcome unfold. It was scary, but not the kind of scary that's fun.
August 19, 2016
Feels like a confused mix between a thriller and a horror film. Has an incredibly weak ending. All that said, there are a few effective creepy moments.
½ August 3, 2016
An inconceivably horrid display of sadism with an amount of stupidity that I can't remember seeing before (and I wanted to punch Bertino in the face for raping my brains like this), relying on two characters who seem to be competing as most shockingly stupid of all time. (Zero stars)
½ July 27, 2016
Crappy movie with no scares.
July 13, 2016
Very good movie. The film does well to deliver a thrilling, slow-burning, chilling story that is terrifying in how real it feels and thanks to solid performances from its two leads.
½ July 13, 2016
this movie is just another invasion movie but the way they delivered it was exciting and was never boring
June 30, 2016
scariest movie that I have ever seen...can't get past the first knock on the door. I have seen it once but have tried several times to watch it again and can't.
June 30, 2016
There was one truly scary scene. Otherwise it's just hard to empathize with a woman too stupid to put on shoes or call 911.