The Strangers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Strangers Reviews

June 15, 2016
The Strangers is a terrible film but still scared me. Weird
½ June 10, 2016
It is atrocious the camera is absolutely laughable no scares. The best part was me and my brother making fun of it.
May 27, 2016
Loved the layout of the story and the "un-Hollywood" ending.
April 29, 2016
Deftly Blending gut-wrenching anxiety with devastating relationship drama, The Strangers makes for a viscerally frightening experience that proves loud noises and a middle-of-the-woods setting are the key to slow-building suspense -- and showcases the arrival of three new villains taking center stage in the genre.
½ April 28, 2016
This movie doesn't have an original idea in its head (and telegraphs its ending within the first 5 minutes), but is and excellent example that skill in filmmaking can create serious tension. I'd like to see what the director can do with a more original idea/story. It'll get you skin crawling, that's for sure.
April 26, 2016
This movie is very creepy and suspenseful. And this is a true story. I mean this could happen to ANYONE , ANYWHERE!! We just have to be more aware in life.
April 21, 2016
There's virtually no plot, very little characterisation for the antagonists, and as a film in general, it's not that impressive. Though as a horror, this is an excellent piece of work by Bryan Bertino, combining a plethora of jump scares, with well constructed, deeply unsettling tension-built moments. These moments are complimented well with superb leading performances from Liv Tyler and Scott Speedman. A fine exercise in fear.
½ March 28, 2016
It doesn't make any sense, and falls in the clichés of the genre, proving that it's not different to any other regular (and unoriginal) "horror" movie.
March 19, 2016
I wouldn't've watched this had Liv Tyler not been in it. Fairly typical horror setup (cabin in the woods, inane protagonists, cut phone lines, etc.) with a view genuinely unsettling scares. Ignore the 'true story' BS.
½ March 16, 2016
Boring story with no payoff at the end.
February 8, 2016
even thou it has a few problems its still a really creepy movie, it keeps you entertained throughout and you can expect it to freak you out
½ February 1, 2016
Very frightening. I would compare it to Carpenter's "Halloween" (1978), though the tacked-on "jump-scare" ending is kind of dumb
January 28, 2016
Not very interesting
January 10, 2016
Makes you jump, but nothing special. Kudos for observing the line between scary and plain gory. Tyler and Speedman are great.
January 3, 2016
Very creepy and we'll done crime thriller! Some call it a slasher movie? Not in my opinion. Not gratuitous violence or a rising body count but great mounting tension and suspense though not a ending I really cared for but overall effective in being scary
November 21, 2015
One of the scariest movies I've ever seen.
½ November 6, 2015
When coming across The Strangers for the first time, I remember it being so scary and when years passed, I'll watch it again. There were many attempts to record the movie, but ended up in failure, until now. The Strangers wasn't as great as I thought it was, but it's a decent film that could've been a lot better for what it could've been a terrific home invasion film. Liv Taylor and Scott Speedman are pretty good, and the strangers themselves act very creepy. The story is very simple, in fact, a little too simple which it could've been more developed on it. The scares are really good and got a jump out of me, and I do like that the strangers gave a vague reason why they were doing this which is very effective. The characters are very underdeveloped however, and they make some stupid choices in it which makes them feel like your typical horror character that does many dumb decisions that would probably get them killed. I did like that in the beginning, the couple were talking about marriage, and how one isn't ready for it, which I think is very interesting, but they didn't dwell in it long enough for me to actually care about them. If people can't watch The Strangers because of the characters, I understand which I think that it's one of the main problems, but for me, it still turn into a decent flick that I'm not going to remember much of it, except in that it's creepy, and the ending gave me a bit of a jolt.
½ November 4, 2015
Shallow, selfish characters refuse to respond intelligently to boring home invaders in Bryan Bertino's The Strangers, which presents itself as a shocking true story, but in fact is yet another cliche checklist.
October 19, 2015
One of the most terrifying movies I've ever seen in my life.
½ October 18, 2015
It is hard to believe that Liv TYLER actually plays in this movie. There are some decent parts but everything is so slow and unexplained that it kills the suspense instead of building it up. And the camera is always shaking -- this is really annoying.