The Survivalist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Survivalist Reviews

½ December 16, 2017
A small little story that works.
December 9, 2017
I watched this on NetFlix or tried to. I really couldn't get into the movie.
December 5, 2017
Surprisingly the film turned out to be good. Even though there are a lot of films lately with similar topic of post-apocalyptic survival this minimalist treat managed to become maybe not original but a firm, captivating and tense thriller not without some ideas to think about. It really looks like a primeval world, like the world has gone back to its default stage forcing people to reassess their behavior and why they are here in the first place. Actors did their job very good, especially the lead actor, Martin McCann. Another film comes to mind which is similar to this one in the terms of minimalism and realistic depiction of the modern 'primeval' world: "It comes at night".
November 27, 2017
Eerie and masterful ... as riveting as it is morally confounding.
November 20, 2017
An intimate look into human nature when all else fails.
½ November 19, 2017
The only thing missing was the backstory. Many unanswered questions in this brilliant film.
½ November 12, 2017
This movie is so pointless and weird. If you like awkward nudity, no plot, little to no dialogue, and overall just pointless this is great for you!
I would of rather watched my dog take a sh!t for an hour.

Don't waste your time I can't believe this had such high ratings. Spend your dollar rental fee on bubble gum or a bag of chips, you'll be way more satisfied.
November 10, 2017
I came into this movie with pretty high hopes, reading all of the positive reviews, I was actually quite excited to watch a solid thriller. Not only was it not thrilling, but excruciatingly boring with almost no plot other than despair and keeping a farm alive. There is one "twist" in this movie that you won't even care about because you've made no connection with the characters whatsoever. You will leave this movie feeling unsatisfied by the lack of depth in plot and in character development. This is by far one of the worst movies I've seen in a while.
November 10, 2017
A good story but terribly slow. Spends way too much time trying to make you understand that he's on his own and many of the scenes are too drawn out. This was a a 100 minute movie with about 45 minutes of content. I started to get bored and started to fast forward.
½ November 2, 2017
Suspenseful, with surprising ethical twists makes you think if you'd want to be a survivalist at all.
October 27, 2017
Two stars for good acting. Everything else was rubbish. Gritty yes, but not at all realistic. Newsflash: you can't survive for years in the woods, in a shack, alone, with what you grow in a back yard garden and occasionally shoot with your two remaining shotgun shells. Also, in other news, hot pokers don't magically heal bullet wounds to the intestines. In most other films of this genre such suspension of disbelief would be acceptable. However this particular film, being SO well reviewed by our betters in the film industry, must be held to a higher standard. Mustn't it? If this film represents anything it's the disconnect between the film industry and it's audience. Unrealistic, boring, poorly written, and with bad cinematography this movie distinguishes itself only in it's professional acting. There's higher quality productions on YouTube.
½ October 22, 2017
The slowest movie that I've seen in a long time. Boring would be an understatement.
October 20, 2017
Very interesting tale about strangers who try to get by in a post apocalyptic time of starvation.
October 11, 2017
Almost remind s me of walking dead
½ October 9, 2017
Really stunning. White knuckled gripping intensity. A very bare movie, minimal in characters, locations, and dialogue and yet far more raw in intensity than a big budget thriller. This is one of the top films of this genre, on par with The Road.
October 9, 2017
In case the apocalypse comes...
October 7, 2017
Typical post nuclear world survival movie. There is nothing that hasn't been done before. As a matter of fact, I believe the plot was stolen from a Twilight Zone episode, just added characters and changed locations. Those of you calling this movie a 'masterpiece' and giving it 5 stars are saying it's every bit as good as The Godfather and that's laughable.
½ October 5, 2017
The worst movie I have ever seen.
October 3, 2017
I'd rather praise "The Survivalist" than watch it.

It says sharp and pessimistic things about the relationship between nature's brutality and human nature; and it says them with an aching putrid beauty.

Jack London themes with Tarantino violence and cinema verité realism. I won't sleep well tonight.
½ September 24, 2017
Suddenly my home made movies are Oscar contenders! Well with a budget of 6000 pounds you can't go very far! Where was this movie going? nobody knows!