The Survivalist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Survivalist Reviews

½ June 23, 2017
Slow raw gripping pace. Follows a lot of standard tropes for the plot but still good. Not children of men but your on the edge of your seat
½ June 19, 2017
We get it - it's a dog eat dog world; everyone in this world is a genuine piece of shit. This movie offered nothing interesting or thought provoking.
June 16, 2017
A beautifully shot slow burn that leaves you thinking "what would you do?" long after you've watched it. Also, there's a lot of full frontal.
June 11, 2017
This movie was filmed that provided the real life experience of surviving after the world has gone to hell. It doesn't have any cute dialogue or involved plots, just realism. I could have done without the gratuitous ass and penis shots.
½ June 3, 2017
That was a good story with, I thought, a bittersweet ending.
June 2, 2017
This post apocalypse felt authentic and similar to the Road, but less depressing. I loved the acting and the cinematography. Some people may be turned off by the pacing, but for me today it was perfectly paced (since it is drizzling outside the little rain puts me in a laid back mode). I appreciated all the quiet scenes in the forest (reminded me of being little).
June 2, 2017
The survivalist to me seemed to have many moments that were drawn out and the story had very little progression up to the action scenes. I would have liked the film to have more plot development to catch the viewer. I understand that the artistic style was very minimalist, but minimalism doesn't work if the plot is also so bland. I would only watch this movie again if I was heavily sedated.
May 30, 2017
Amazing, non formulaic movie. Highly recommend.
May 28, 2017
My husband and I decided to see this because the reviews were so good but unfortunately, we don't agree with them. The storyline was OK but the ending was completely weird and unexplained. There were questions that we had that render the story unrealistic in parts. I definitely wouldn't recommend seeing it unless you can borrow it from a friend or maybe get it on Redbox, maybe.
½ May 28, 2017
My first ever review - had to do it after seeing the only customer reviews (2 of them) showing up on my Apple TV for this were negative, which is just wrong. This definitely isn't some artsy film just for the critics.

At the risk of overhyping it, it's a near-masterpiece. A very smart film that demands the same of the audience but rewards you for it equally. A good one for when you want a smart and involving watch, not a loud, fast-paced actioner but more a thinking man's thriller. A good one also to watch alone to avoid distraction (because every scene and shot seems of value) and discomfort that may arise from the occasional unglamorous nudity and realism which is never gratuitous but lends the film an authentic feel. Note-perfect performances and the singular poignancy of a film crafted confidently to the writer-director's specific vision.
½ May 26, 2017
Why do movie critics give glowing reviews for "artsy" films? The movie was a waste of time with horrible dialogue, poorly developed characters, and an unrealistic world. The Walking Dead is more believable than The Survivalist when it comes to a post apocolyptic world.And on top of that there is NO story. So not to offend gluttons for boredom I will not spoil anything but the female lead could have just done what she did in the last five minutes of the movie and skipped everything else. Don't bother wasting your time here.
May 25, 2017
"In a time of starvation, a survivalist lives off a small plot of land hidden deep in forest. When two women seeking food and shelter discover his farm, he finds his existence threatened."
½ May 24, 2017
Dull and boring, absolute slow and predictable. Does in no way deserve a 97% rating. If you have problems to fall asleep, watch this, works like a charm ...
½ May 23, 2017
If you think independent films suck you will surely think this ones does.
½ May 23, 2017
It's watchable, but given the chance again, I never would have. What's up with this 97% Tomatometer?!?!? I
May 21, 2017
A slow burn post apocalyptic thriller along the lines of "The Road" that could have seemingly been directed by Terence Malik. Great performances.
May 20, 2017
What a stunning, thoughtful film. Go see it in a cinema if you can. At times, it will make you squirm, but also, really ponder life and humanity.
½ May 20, 2017
Found it boring and un-suspenseful. Movie critics claim otherwise but I watched with 2 others and we didn't enjoy it in the slightest.
May 20, 2017
A little too raw and brutal.
May 20, 2017
Best dystopian film of all time!