The Survivor Reviews

• Jun 22, 2017

Absolute Rubbish ! I think this movie is the worst movie ever made and a total waste of time. Whoever made this should be thrown in prison.

• May 12, 2017

Nope. Did not enjoy that. It comes off as quite pretentious and is so poorly and choppily edited, I had no idea what was going on for the duration. Not that any of it was very interesting anyway. It also lacked any engaging characters.

• Aug 09, 2015

A random DVD pick-up based on the company releasing it (Scorpion Releasing) and the always lovely Jenny Agutter being involved, I was sort of left feeling as if this might've been better in the source material. Don't get me wrong, there's some creepy bits and unnerving moments as the lone survivor of a plane crash tries to dig into the reasons behind it all, but I would almost imagine they were creepier in the reader's head when they read the novel instead of how they were realized in this film. Rental?

• Feb 11, 2014

If you read the novel by James Herbert you should skip this mess altogether. Slow pacing, gore free, nothing at all like the excellent book. Even with some known actors this movie blows...

• Alex r Super Reviewer
    Feb 18, 2013

The Survivor is a truly unique horror film that combines elements of supernatural and survival horror into one movie and the result is an interesting concept for a movie that uses an everyday disaster as a basis to start off with the horror. The film wastes no time to dive into the action, and it starts off with the plane crash. Directed with flair by David Hemmings and a cast headed by Robert Powell, The film is a memorable addition to the genre, one that is very well paced and acted, but also at times shows signs of a plot that could have been reworked slightly. Even if it's slightly unfocused, there's plenty of good material on-screen to keep you involved from start to finish, and the idea behind the plot is quite intriguing and overcomes the film's weaknesses. For a low budget feature, I am surprised that they were able to pull off something good in the effects department, and of course I'm talking about the plane crash at the start of the film. For the film's budget, it is very well done and pretty exciting. There are also many terrifying scenes that build the tension in the viewer and it works very well. What separates Australian horror films from American ones is that they tend to rely a lot on atmosphere to create the terror, and I've said that many times before, but it's true. Aussie films tend to have a certain quality that American films miss, and they are more often than not better as well. With a great cast and a good plot, The Survivor is a well crafted horror film that is definitely worth seeing. If you love supernatural horror tales, then this one is sure to satisfy.

• Apr 10, 2012

I would not be surprised if this movie inspired "The Sixth Sense" and "Unbreakable" because this movie is very similar in plot. This movie is eerie but it's by no means perfect. Robert Powell was excellent in his role as the tormented pilot who was the sole survivor of the destroyed aircraft. Jenny Agutter's character could have used a little more depth because it was hard to understand how she knew the things about the jet desaster. The movie's imagery is captured with great effect by cinematographer John Seale and Brian May's music brings out the horror in the moments of the film. This is a good film but I think could have been better.

• Feb 25, 2012

Fantastic music by Brian May (Mad Max)

Fantastic music by Brian May (Mad Max)

• Sep 24, 2009

Incredibly boring and pretentious supernatural non-thriller, quite likely the worst James Herbert adaptation to date. Poor Joseph Cotten makes a cameo as a haggard priest, present only to lend gravitas and international market share. Powell and Agutter struggle to make some sense of the proceedings. The expository monologue by the final villain explains away the previous nonsense, but not why anyone should care. The best thing I can say is that the set design of the airplane wreckage is interesting.

• Aug 18, 2009

wow umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch....its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie....i think that robert powell, jenny agutter, joseph cotten, angela punch mcgregor, peter sumner play good roles/parts throughout this movie.... i think that the director of this horror movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie....i think that this is a good horror movie 2 watch its a good movie 2 watch n its a pretty eerie horror movie 2 watch

• Aug 10, 2009

Generic Aussie gothic horror from a time when such a trope was rife, i.e. "Alison's Birthday", and the bona-fide masterpiece "Picnic at Hanging Rock". Led by a British cast, Hemmings' attention to detail is utterly immaculate, however, the rushed and ambiguous ending doesn't really satisfy in the true gothic context. Worthwhile but flawed.