The Swimming Pool (La Piscine) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Swimming Pool (La Piscine) Reviews

January 25, 2010
Tres beau film de Deray, sur un scenario de JC Carriere.
Delon, Ronet, un meurtre... non ce n'est pas Plein Soleil de Rene Clement (qui reste pour moi un sommet), mais un huis clos sous forme de thriller psychologique entre un couple (Delon/Romy Schneider) et un pere et sa fille (Ronet / Jane Birkin). Le pere ayant par le passe ete en couple avec la femme du 1er couple, il va mettre un beau bordel dans ces joyeuses vacances d'ete...
Dans son theme, le film est relativement proche de Theoreme de Pasolini, mais dans le traitement et la forme, la mise en scene de Deray est beaucoup plus "a l'americaine". Et pourtant le scenario est peu bavard, et c'est surtout tous les non-dits et les ellipses narratives qui font la force de ce film.
Bien evidemment, la lumiere et le cadre du film (superbe villa sur les hauteurs de St Tropez) sont exploites a merveille. A ce titre, je recommande particulierement l'edition DVD remasterise sortie l'annee derniere, avec une sublime copie rendant le film assez intemporel.
Un mot enfin sur la musique de Michel Legrand fantastique ici.
December 13, 2009
A really nice film, memorable for Alain Delon and Romy Schneider's on-screen chemistry. The idyllic atmosphere gives way to one of
anxious gestures and forced confessions. The party scene gives you a real sense of the spirit and the innocense of the 1960's, the locations are breath-taking. The remake is worth a watch too but this version remains unsurpassed.
½ December 11, 2009
3.5: A fascinating film that was an almost complete surprise for me. It's like a breath of fresh air. It seems like I haven't seen a film of this type and style in a while. The entire film, with a couple minor exceptions, takes place within and around an absolutely beautiful countryside villa near San Tropez. Most actions that occur elsewhere are simply left to the imagination. This serves to focus the picture and the viewers attention and lends itself very nicely to the slow and deliberate pace of the picture. Everything simply meanders along for about the first two acts of the film, which seems ever so wonderful. The characters, the setting, the simple story, the complex relationships, and the simmering undercurrents kept me glued to the screen. Each character is extremely well drawn and the performances are all top notch. The women are extremely beautiful, alluring, and complex. The men are troubled, brooding, outgoing, opposites, etc. Alain Delon is exceptional. The camera can't get enough of him or either of his female costars. Very little happens in terms of conventional action and yet we are riveted by all that passes before our eyes. The camera is unusually stationary, the shots are precisely composed, and the takes are unusually long. In my opinion, the film might have been even stronger without the sinister twist around the beginning of the third act. If one thinks about what comes next, it's really a fairly depressing film as the characters that remain alive don't seem to have much to live for or much of anyplace to go in the end, but this didn't bother me in the least.
½ November 20, 2009
Alain Delon & Maurice Ronet's second confrontation since "Plein Soleil", and interestingly it ends exactly like the latter!

But the intelligence all burns out in the film, left with some meaningless taste of French bourgeois vanity.

I blame it on the loose acting and the lame script.
November 18, 2009
AHHH ROMY YA RIEN A DIRE
November 14, 2009
A fantastic cinematic experience turned love story that explores all but the most superficial aspects of the subject. Then it ends as a simplistic criminal drama that even inspector Clouseu could have solvedâ?¦ Strange, but it was all well worth it.
½ October 25, 2009
old , good film with the eroticism of Romy Schneider and young those days Jane Birkin , made a romantic beautiful film
October 25, 2009
Recommended by Arianeta
Arianeta
½ October 25, 2009
Two lovers Alain Delon (an unemployed writer Jean-Paul) and Romy Schneider (Marianne) two of the most preternaturally attractive people on the planet withe exlellant chemistry spend an idyllic poolside vacation in St. Tropez.Their languid summer break is disturbed by the arrival of Marianne?s former boyfriend, Harry, who turns up unexpectedly with his daughter Penelope. Despite appearances that their past differences have been settled, old enmities between Jean-Paul and Harry soon begin to resurface ? with deadly consequences? Alain Delon is on fine form, giving one of his darker performances, a perfect contrast with Romy Schneider?s gentler yet equally tough portrayal of Marianne. Director in La Piscine, shows an almost existentialist minimalism and he creates a chilling portrait of male rivalry and jealousy. The atmosphere was realy good for my pleasure but at the and I was feel sorry about Delon as the women have the first and the last word there. An incredibly groovy late 60s soundtrack from Michel Legrand.
½ August 14, 2009
Everything fits together neatly in this French slow burner, but it's just a bit to smooth for me. That is until the 60s Euro rave starts, then the movie takes goes a bit Russ Myer for 5 minutes or so. Lacks a bit of heart and not as atmospheric as the similar Postman Always Rings Twice
½ July 25, 2009
Beautiful people, romantic, stylish, chic...
July 23, 2009
I really love Alain Delon and the tension of this movie is very provacative. Besides, only the lovely AD can smoke AND swim at the same time. Watch it! NOT a waste of your time. Plus Jane Birkin is adorable. Who doesn't love her teeth?
½ May 17, 2009
I love Romy and Jane birkin
April 16, 2009
Beautiful people around a swiming pool... what else can we expect other than love, unhappiness and death ! A great French classic from the 70's !
March 28, 2009
Un film bien tenu et bien interprete.
December 19, 2008
It's hard to go wrong with a movie that involves Romy Schneider, Jane Birkin and Alain Delon lounging around a swimming poll deciding the best way to poorly behave. Romy Schneider is all kinds of hot in this.
½ August 21, 2008
everything is perfect except for Birkin, who i absolutely detest either in acting or singing
August 15, 2008
Great +beautiful film. ..
very slow one compare to the tempo of today's film. But I love the 70's style.
What is amazing is that when the lights turn on in the theater ...80%people around me are with white hair middle age people. Guess this film bring them back to their younthful happy time.
August 10, 2008
Classique parmi les classiques ! Disponible maintenant dans une version DVD collector. Alain Delon et Romy Schneider plus beaux que jamais. A voir et à revoir...
August 9, 2008
A pretty slow moving French diddy with hotass Alain Delon and Jane Birkin (Charlotte Gainsbourg's mom) about four people in the Meditteranean with an affair or two thrown in . It's also pretty fucking cool.