The Taking of Pelham One Two Three - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three Reviews

½ March 16, 2017
Some great tension is piled on, which is relieved by bits of humor from the cast. I love the claustrophobic setting, also how it's such a time capsule of 70s New York.
January 6, 2017
Better than the remake. Well worth a watch
½ January 1, 2017
That sneeze in the end...
½ November 8, 2016
Coisa fina! Que elenco foda. No final parece que "atropela" (hehe) um pouquinho, mas é filmaço demais.
September 3, 2016
This is a classic 1970s New York City thriller. The colour based names of the assembled gang of crooks isn't the only idea Quentin Tarantino has been inspired by. The balance of quick witty dialogue and sometimes violent and gritty action perfectly compliment a clever and well planned plot. 95/100
September 2, 2016
Probably one of the best heist movies and New York films ever made. The score is also pretty bombastic and unbelievably nuts. And one of the best endings I've ever seen.
August 18, 2016
Well done action - mystery takes it's time but is well worth it. Great cast.
½ July 24, 2016
Very suspenseful. Robert Shaw nails it, and Walter Matthau does a great job. The language is shocking but still awesome. I was just disappointed with Shaw's demise. Very clever ending as-well.
July 23, 2016
Joseph Sargent's The Taking of Pelham 123 is unsettlingly suspenseful, and beholds what is easily one of the best endings ever. A classic.
July 23, 2016
Just a solid old movie. The 1970 disaster/heist genre has a former subway employee and mercenaries take a subway train hostage. Pelham's slow burn build up creates an uneasy tension for the viewer. The plot twists and turns makes the viewer uneasy of what will happen next. The cast of Walter Matthau, Robert Shaw, and Hector Elizondo create memorable dialog and believable scenes. The ending is strong and leaves an impression! Dated, but much better than the remake. Four stars.
½ April 29, 2016
Since I had watched the Travolta/Washington starring re-make way back when it came to video, I figured I should finally give this one a day in court, and I have to say, I really enjoyed it a great deal. It also has more of a ground level crime-fighting feeling to it, as Matthau pursues the case above and beyond, and it pays off.

Well worth a look, give it a rental at the very least.
½ April 24, 2016
Cool film with a typical seventies style and some nice comedy moments from Walter Mattau. Better than the John Travolta remake.
½ March 29, 2016
Cuatro hombres que se hacen llamar Green, Blue, Grey y Brown, secuestran un tren subterráneo en la ciudad de Nueva York y se enfrentan a un perspicaz defensor de la ley en esta magnífica película dirigida por Joseph Sargent ("The Hell With Heroes"). Los delincuentes, interpretados por Robert Shaw, Martin Balsam, Héctor Elizondo y Earl Hindman están a la altura y su contraparte, interpretada por Walter Matthau, no se queda atrás. Ni hablar de la edición, del humor negro, de una espectacular banda sonora y de un final delicioso. Todo un clásico del género criminal.
½ March 2, 2016
The Taking of Pelham One Two Three is a film about a crew of criminals who hijack a subway train. I love the pace of this film, because it does an excellent job of slowly raising the stakes so I'm always on the edge of my seat waiting to see what will come next. I also love the way they melded 2 different genres that I love. There is the heist film that has us meeting the crooks and figuring out how they will execute their plan, and simultaneously we are given a mystery film where we get to see how the police are going to solve this problem. The movie has a superb cast, loaded with names and faces that you'll recognize. Most prominent of these actors are Robert Shaw as the leader of the gang, and Walter Matthau as the man in charge of the transit cops. They have very different styles, but I love watching them talk to one another because they're always trying to get into the other person's head. The movie has some humor sprinkled throughout it, and I loved that aspect as well. Some of the characters who are working for the subway have hilarious personalities, and I was intrigued when those humorous characters suddenly became serious as the tension escalated. The ending isn't some dramatic or unpredictable twist like you might expect, but that didn't matter to me because I was enjoying the entire ride. However I could see others being let down because the film seems to be setting up for some brilliant surprise by the crooks, but it's simply not all that shocking. To be honest, the only criticism I have of this film is the quality of the version I was able to watch. It had some serious sound issues, including some very poor ADR lines. I think if I can watch it again in a higher quality this might be a film I love for a long time.
½ February 2, 2016
thoroughly entertaining, a perfect film.
December 29, 2015
What a fantastic action-suspense film! I had been meaning to watch this for many years, and I am glad I finally did as i thoroughly enjoyed it. It's about a hijacking of a NYC subway train, and the bad guys all us colour coded pseudonyms(you know Tarantino was a fan). What really makes it is the great cast, featuring Robert Shaw("Jaws"), Walter Matthau, Hector Elizondo and and young looking Jerry Stiller("Mr.Costanza"). Highly recommended!
½ October 28, 2015
Yes, better than the remake and great music!
½ September 28, 2015
Absolutely majestic thriller with an impeccable cast, dripping atmosphere and a black humour running throughout.
September 18, 2015
A cracker. Not surprised it scored 100%. The humour, suspense, smarts never let up, even to the last turn of the reel.
½ August 29, 2015
Terrific thriller about a group of armed men who hijack a NYC subway train and then seek to extort one million dollars from the city or they'll execute the hostages. Walter Matthau plays a head honcho at the transit authority who negotiates with the hijackers over radio and is a commanding screen presence. Matthau is greatly aided by a terrific supporting cast of NYC character actor types that includes Jerry Stiller, Kenneth McMillan, Joe Seneca, Bill Cobbs and Tony Roberts. The bad guys in the cast include Robert Shaw, Martin Balsam and Hector Elizondo. Directed by Joseph Sargent, who was for the most part a journeyman director who did make a few cool movies like "White Lightweight" and "The Man," but who for the most part did a lot of TV work and a lot of unmemorable of films, which is surprising considering he made this one that stands out as a terrifically smart and suspenseful classic. And I don't necessarily think it's a case of Sargent being elevated by the cast and script. His direction is stylish and wonderfully tight. Top all this off with a classic score by David Shire, which incidentally was chosen as one of the top 10 film scores of all time by NPR.