The Taking of Tiger Mountain Reviews

• Jul 27, 2018

Tsui Hark adapts Peking opera, "Taking Tiger Mountain by Strategy" into a juggernaut of spectacularly staged action sequences melded around the sterling central story about the historical battle of wits and guts between the People's Liberation Army of China and a bandit clan.

• Jan 01, 2018

A small band of scrappy soldiers are followed around in the snow by an orchestra playing nothing but patriotic music. Their mission (the soldiers, not the orchestra) is to take out a nest of bandits. One of the soldiers (who wears blue eye shadow throughout the movie) manages to infiltrate the stronghold and pose as a bandit himself. This movie did not need to be 2 1/2 hours long. The pacing is on the slow side. When any action does happen it's full of slo mo and CGI blood. Are squibs that expensive? The big bad boss, Hawk, is kept in the shadows for a good portion of the film. He should have remained in the shadows because when he was fully revealed I had a good laugh. He looks absolutely ridiculous. All the bandits do. They look like characters out of a manga. Oddly this film has two dramatic endings with the same characters. It's like the film makers filmed both, couldn't make up their minds which one they liked best, and decided to use both. If you liked other movies like Wolf Warrior and Operation Mekong, you'll probably like this as well. You'll also spot some familiar faces as actors from both these films are in this one as well.

• Jul 24, 2016

It starts off very cheesy and ends even cheesier but the middle and end has some very good action scenes and story elements that made it an enjoyable watch but could have been much better if many needless scenes were cut out and if many of the CGI effects were removed too because they were not good by modern Hollywood standards at least.

• Dec 20, 2015

Let the two gangs fight each other and we'll gather the spoils. The Chinese government has become corrupt, greedy, and unnecessarily difficult to their people. A young revolutionary army gets together and plans to overthrow the government; meanwhile, a group of bandits swoop in hoping to steal the riches from both sides and escape unscathed. This triangle of deceit may hurt the people more than it helps... "Only the heavenly soldiers can fly." Hark Tsui, director of The Once Upon a Time in China Trilogy, Seven Swords, Flying Swords of Dragon Gate, Dragon Inn, The Banquet, The Swordsman, and Dangerous Encounters of the First Kind, delivers The Taking of Tiger Mountain. The storyline for this picture is fairly entertaining and intricate. The settings and special effects are beautiful while the martial arts is just okay. The acting is solid for the content. "Get ready for a fight." This was recently added to Netflix so I had to give it a shot. This is a beautiful movie in classic Hark Tsui fashion and the characters were okay. Overall, this is a fairly average addition to the genre that is worth watching for fans of the genre but I wouldn't go too out of my way to see it. "I want to take on this mission." Grade: C

• Dec 02, 2015

Took me by surprise! This is really an awesome film! At first I was like "meh, I've seen this before". WWII rebels vs. rebels cliche but oh boy I was so wrong. A group so called the PLA wants to finish the over ruling of Lord Hawk. It's more like an over the top WWII Action and Drama film. With great cinematic special effects, and well made action scenes. I really like the sound of the sniper rifles and the explosions which made me more pumped up. One of the assets in this film is the villain. I freaking love the villain named Lord Hawk. The villain's side really stole the show, as one of the spies (a General) from the PLA invade's Lord Hawk's den. He joined the brother hood and slowly but surely, he does have it all planned. The spying scene is so intense that you might think, is he going to be dead soon? But his style of hiding and lying is just top notch and I loved it! I love the ending I thought the action scenes are fantastic w/o over using the special effects or CGI's too much. Feels comic at times with lovable characters but overall this is a great guilty pleasure. Very much recommended!

• Aug 20, 2015

What kind of piece of shit LA times review that was. Four Paragraphs total. First one on the director, second one about the film's story and third one with some critic. Then last paragraph about bad commies and it's POSSIBLE for them to rewrite history. So, that was all? Reviewer ignored source material was based on true events and did not provide evidence of possible cover up. Reviewer basically was saying because it's a commie movie, it must be bad, must be a rewriting of history. What a disgrace. On the film, characters were fairly weak and seemed like comic characters rather than real people. Special effects were over the top. It's an okay movie and clearly was made for 3D viewing. As for the critic calling the story a rewriting of history, guess what, it's based on real events and real people. The real guy died 1947 while fighting bandits. It's certainly more real than Captain America fighting Nazis.

• Jun 21, 2015

Après le deuxième Detective Dee, Tsui Hark continue d'adapter des ouvrages historiques puisqu'il s'attaque à La Bataille de la Montagne du Tigre, disputée en 1947 entre l'armée chinoise et des pillards. A partir de ceci, il nous livre un film de guerre qui ne recule devant aucune extravagance, Hark n'hésitant pas à verser dans le film d'espionnage ou même l'Heroic Bloodshed sur certaines séquences, pour délivrer un torrent d'action aussi passionnant que visuellement splendide, avec une 3D outrancière et donc satisfaisante (des obus, des éclats de grenade, un tigre, une balle tirée par un sniper nous arrivent constamment dans la tronche). Mais au-delà de ça, c'est la dernière séquence qui donne à ce grand film ses lettres de noblesse, s'interrogeant alors sur le pouvoir de l'image et de l'interprétation des légendes. La Bataille de la Montagne du Tigre est un excellent film, extrêmement intelligent, très bien interprété et furieusement bien rythmé. Il serait dommage de s'en passer.

• Jun 21, 2015

A flawed, but nonetheless thrilling, historical epic that rests on some good old gripping storytelling and a strong lead performance by Zhang Hanyu...

• Jun 06, 2015

Tsui Hark's ambitious action spectacle has many flaws, but when the film is in basic raw action mode it excels. The old school gun battles with the snipers is very well done, but the flashy slow mo is tacky. There is a lot of drama and side characters, but overall its a sluggishly paced movie that could have been better if it were more into practical effects rather than shoddy CGI blood. The Taking of Tiger Mountain is undemanding action fare.

• May 27, 2015

Not much storyline, but very great special effect and action sequence(esp. Zhang fights with the tiger in the snow mountain). Not so great, but still one of the best Tsui Hark's film.