The Tale of the Princess Kaguya Reviews

• Jan 13, 2020

A satisfying Japanese fable. The art style takes some getting used to, but lends itself to the period feel.

• Jan 08, 2020

weird and a mixed bag of 3 different movies that mostly works but ultimately doesnt quite come together

• Jan 06, 2020

Profound masterpiece.

Profound masterpiece.

• Alex R
    Dec 19, 2019

Excellent, emotional film with a unique and engrossing art store.

Excellent, emotional film with a unique and engrossing art store.

• Dec 19, 2019

simply put this film is utterly exquisite, with some of the most sumptuous animation ever seen on film, and a deeply humanistic story that touches the very soul. A delicate perfect work of art

• Dec 18, 2019

A Ghibli masterpiece! Maybe the best of the studio in years! Takahata and all the stuff envolved in the movie are pure genius!

• Dec 17, 2019

I'm not a huge anime connoisseur. Before seeing this film I had seen popular anime movies including Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, Akira and a few others but Princess Kaguya absolutely takes the cake as the best I've seen, and also one of the finest folklore movies I've ever seen, period. Kaguya is beautifully animated, the story keeps your interest throughout the 2.5 hour journey, the English dub is not only tolerable but excellent, and the dialogue is well written and lacks the awkwardness and cheesiness that many anime tend to have. Kaguya has a plethora of themes including the inspirational and healing power of nature, the difficulties of growing up, the curses that beauty/status/wealth can bring, the importance of freedom and playtime, and the importance of letting your children seek their passions. A true masterpiece in storytelling and animation and a movie I will pass on to those I love most.

• Dec 02, 2019

Absolutely incredible. The animation, soundtrack and everything else about this is just fantastic! A must see!

• Nov 22, 2019

My favorite movie. One of the deepest stories adapted in the animation medium, this film is proof that adaptations and rip-offs are worthwhile watching or making. The expressionistic visual style accompanies the wonderful story and makes for a great emotional experience. This traditional Japanese folk tale is somehow so relatable that it's one of the few pieces of art that made me cry.

• Oct 27, 2019

the soft art really brings out the innocence of the princess, the progression of the softness to the harsh and dramatic art is a great visual representation of her development from a simple little girl to a sheltered and scared woman. overall, a beautiful and original take to a classic tale. wouldn't expect anything less from Studio Ghibli.