The Teahouse of the August Moon Reviews

• Jul 21, 2020

Little story and weak attempts at humor

Little story and weak attempts at humor

• Oct 08, 2019

I was completely entertained for the entire 2 hours of this movie; not much is funnier than Marlon Brando impersonating a Japanese islander. Glenn Ford also puts on an exceptional performance in this movie.

• Jul 23, 2019

Brando is perfect in every respect. He put in the time to discover the accent native Okinawans would have had when they tried speaking English. His approach was a 360 degree understanding of the character and plot, and it showed masterfully in his performance. People who have lived on Okinawa can tell you Brando's accent is spot-on perfect for the role he plays. His mannerisms and his role in the village were learned because he paid attention to his roles and took them seriously. Brando was one of the first Hollywood actors to act, rather than to impersonate himself. Instead of taking the easy out, Brando always fully engaged, and it made each film he did all the more authentic.

• Apr 02, 2018

This was one of my all time favorite movies of the 1950s. If you couldn't enjoy this movie you are way to serious. Great story line. Great acting by all. Brandon was a hoot. One of Ford's best movie's. I saw this as a child the first time and have enjoyed it through out the year's. I was just wondering when it might be on again where I found this 86% review and had to right a wrong. You will enjoy this movie regardless if it's age. The characters are great. A must watch!

• Mar 21, 2015

this works occasionally but not all of it.

this works occasionally but not all of it.

• Aug 06, 2013

Not bad, but kind of odd.

Not bad, but kind of odd.

• Jul 07, 2013

Quirky, silly, not pc, but fun.

Quirky, silly, not pc, but fun.

• May 19, 2013

A light comedy which, although it has Brando in 'yellowface' and has Okinawans speaking Japanese, actually makes some valid points about do-gooder foreign interventions.

• Feb 02, 2013