The Tender Trap - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Tender Trap Reviews

November 15, 2016
"You see a pair of laughing eyes, suddenly you're sighing sighs..." A must for any fan of Sinatra's work. The cast is in top form.
½ August 11, 2016
What a strange movie. Always love Frank even though he played a man-whore!
½ June 5, 2016
gr8! another lost review
½ January 29, 2016
Great song, morally bankrupt characters. David Wayne's character was fine until the end when he made a pass at Celeste Holm to leave his wife after chastising Frank the whole film. Weird story.
May 24, 2015
So incredibly terrible, and Debbie Reynolds knew it. Julie, her na´ve husband-chaser of a character, was and perhaps is a reality and a trope, but does she have to be so devoid of personality otherwise? What is love, and why does Charlie even fall in love with her? There's no charm to their dated courtship at all, and it's a waste of Debbie's singing and dancing talents.

The bouquet passing bit at the end is cute, and the movie makes interesting enough insights into Martian and Venusian conflicts with Charlie's reforming rover, Joe's disillusioned family man, and Sylvia's career dame with a ticking marriage clock (played by the serene Celeste Holm), but the injection of a petty, needy, indecisive stereotype just sets gender politics back fifty years...not to mention screenwriting.
½ January 27, 2014
Decent script and dialogue. A fun take on romance within the fishbowl of NYC.
January 25, 2013
I friggin' love Celeste Holm and Debbie Reynolds is cute as a button but yeah...this movie is kind of silly and a little smarmy in its view of women who are only interested in trapping men. I know it was the '50s but c'mon!
March 10, 2012
It has a really great opening shot. The rest of the film is pretty generic romantic comedy.
February 3, 2012
It's nothing spectacular or extraordinary, but it's extremely enjoyable nonetheless. Fans of Sinatra will enjoy it especially, but the non-fans may not have as much fun. There's not much going on here, but the story is actually fairly interesting and keeps you watching. There's nothing bad you can really say about it aside from it being rather ordinary, but there's nothing that will really ruin your experience. So, you're guaranteed to enjoy.
January 26, 2012
This was disappointing, although Sinatra was pretty good.
October 30, 2010
If nothing else, the film should be seen for its iconic first two minutes, where, from out of a blue-sky backdrop, swaggers Sinatra - draped in sharkskin, tipped fedora and Cinemascope - hands in pockets, staking his claim on Cahn/VanHeusen's title tune.

Here, Frank's signature style is on full on show and at its best.

'The tender trap' is, of course, love and marriage. And Frank's been meticulously sidestepping it in favor of his harem-like, 24/7-swingin', ring-a-ding-dingin' Manhattan bachelor pad - until stubborn, altar-focused Debbie Reynolds turns up toting small-town naivete and expectations that Frank cough up a ring and his little black book.

Sinatra and married wingman (Wayne) role-swap: Frank's got Debbie under his skin, Wayne's a-wooin' Frank's pick-of-the-litter (Holm). Holm's of sharp wit/word; she knows the rules of the mid-Century marriage game better than them all.

Throw in a few trivial subplots and soon enough, there's an engagement, a marriage or a break-up every sixty seconds. When the game of musical chairs ends, love has conquered all.

From a long-running Broadway play. Not quite the Doris Day sex-comedy, but clearly foreshadows & inspires them: Debbie's the lone 'good girl' in the dugout, Wayne's the foil that is Frank's conscience, positions later held by Tony Randall and Gig Young.

Snappy/witty dialogue abounds - "How much money you makin?" "Almost as much as I'm spending." - "I've seen you somewhere before." "It's just this face of mine, it's what every girl is wearing this season." Plus there's dramatic sprinkles on the cone in the form of (well-dated) volleys on topics such as marriage versus career, girlie versus wife, playboy versus husband. In this film, such sprinkles are often the better part of the cone.

RECOMMENDATION: Captures well the time. Well recommended for those who appreciate the period/genre.
½ May 21, 2010
I enjoyed the Tender Trap because it showed the glamor of New York in the mid-1950s. Frank Sinatra and Debbie Reynolds had great chemistry together. Celeste Holm was excellent as Sylvia Crewes. The script is witty and fun. The music is also great. Charles Walters did an amazing job directing this film. The Tender Trap is a must see.
February 17, 2010
Best. Opening. Credits. Ever.
February 16, 2010
not a fan of the pairing of debbie reynolds & sinatra, i prefer her and gene kelly in singing in the rain... anyway, i agree w/other reviews that note david wayne and celeste holm steal the show... i'd like to see a film w/the two of them in lead roles. the story and dialogue i enjoyed fairly much. the title song is still stuck in my head, le sigh...
February 15, 2010
I don't know what it is about Celeste Holm but when I watch her, I see the type of person I wish I actually was. This is your typical playboy- reforms- to- win- the- girl- of- his- dreams-that-he-didn't-know-he-was-dreaming-of- and- wacky- hijinks- ensue sort of storyline. Plus Sinatra sings, and that always merits a swoon.
January 24, 2010
The Limits of the Joys of the Swinging Single's Life.
½ January 23, 2010
Very enjoyable film, one of Frank Sinatra's best romantic comedies. Debbie Reynolds is delightful. But it's David Wayne and Celeste Holm that steal the film from the leads. Good title song.
December 30, 2009
Wound up watching some of this the other day. It was a bit depressing for me because one of the characters gives this speech about how a woman over 33 (my age) has to lower her standards in men to have any chance of not dying alone.... So that was a bit of a personal jab for me, but otherwise it was a cute old movie.
½ December 29, 2009
This movie is a light comedy that is predictable but a lot of fun and Frank.
November 8, 2009
Great movie. Interesting to see that not much has changed in the world of dating in your 30's and living in NYC since this movie took place in 1955