The Tesseract - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Tesseract Reviews

November 6, 2010
just for you jonathan <3
½ April 24, 2010
It would be much cooler if the narrative were sticked with the regular, linear way than the unnecessary, conceited editing at the first 1/3. A bold try although not something new at all.
½ November 17, 2009
Tesseract does look good -- it is stylish and colorful. The characters, however, have little depth and show no real growth. The actors, especially the Thai kid, do a good job with inadequate material. The storyline is trite and never surprises you; giving it a more exotic setting than usual just isn't enough. While it was mildly enjoyable, given some of the talent that was involved, it was disappointing.
August 29, 2009
I remember the book being good, the film is awful.
March 10, 2009
AT first I found the non linear story telling a little confusing, but I quickly got used to it and found it an interesting technique. This film is very well shot and some scenes verge on the beautiful, even while they are depicting ugly things. The child actor is fantastic in this and the adult leads are more than capable in their roles.

I watched this because the screen play was written by one of my favourite authors. Here his writing style is minimal, but realistic. I would dearly love to see some of his own novels dramatised well.
February 12, 2009
A shitty adaptation of an okay book.
January 25, 2009
It starts out interesting enough in the first scene, but then it unravels (not in a good way) from there. I think I'll just see if the original novel is less crappy.
October 29, 2008
I really couldn't sit through this. I watched it over the course of 6 days. I just couldn't get into it, but had to finish it.
October 23, 2008
Very weird and confusing.
October 9, 2008
Solid acting, pointless script.
September 27, 2008
hey! its another highly stylized action flick from the pang brothers. honestly, they should stick to horror as this wasnt very good. as with all pang brothers films, it looks graet but the story was crap. the pangs are like the poor man's wachowski brothers but more prolific
August 11, 2008
Great movie, but if you are not too bright, you will be lost.
August 5, 2008
This was filmed very well. It looked so good.
½ August 4, 2008
This is a tough one.

On the one hand, I've developed a liking to some of the short stories that Alex Garland has written and the same applies to the ones that have been turned into films.
Unfortunately, the complexity of the structures he uses in his books means that they all tend to require a very deft hand to make sense of the deliberate mess.
This, being a much smaller and pretty much independent affair falls short of the mark simply because it doesn't make much sense.

The thing is, the story here is actually quite simple and so the broken structure becomes nothing more than a gimmick to telling the story and it is one that doesn't even work all that well. At one point, it is a subtle change of persepctive that gives context to the time frame, then it changes to being a "dream" of sorts caused by delirium.
There's a irrelevent side story/character that could've been omitted without affecting the film.
There are characters that have no substance beyond what they do on screen.
There are shoot outs and tense confrontations on stair-cases.
There are almost alegorical interviews about dreams.

Once you get past the opening sequence and into the first proper scene, you get the idea that they didn't know what or how to make this film and what you ultimately end up with, is a bit of a mess.
Some bits look good but mostly, it's too close to being a collection of vaguely connected stories let down by the fact that the stories aren't told that well. Too many missing pieces of a puzzle that leaves you with only bits of the story.
July 13, 2008
Pretty cool movie (but not as good as a film as The Beach, an adaptation by the same author, who now writes for the screen - 28 Days Later and Sunshine). This proves that like Ralph Fiennes in that Hannibal Lector movie, Jonathan Rhys-Meyers is impossible to 'uglify' unless he doesn't have a nose (Voldemort), J R-M is entirely too pretty to pass as an average person, not even with messy hair!
½ May 4, 2008
I enjoyed the Eye and Bangkok dangerous, so I did always wonder why one half of the Pang brother's adaptation of Alex Garland's Tesseract never got a cinema release. It's because it's crap.
The whole idea of different people's lives converging and a story told through multiple viewpoints is a familiar one, but the Tesseract brings nothing to the table apart from copious slow motion.
Literally half of the film is shot in slo-mo, with anything vaguely dramatic seemingly an excuse for things to drift at a snail's pace. Despite a number of shoot-outs receiving this treatment they never achieve the kinetic excitement of John Woo or Tsui Hark at their peaks, and whilst the dramatic side is more fleshed out than your typical Hong Kong actioner, this Thai set thriller can't compete with some of the treats that have come out of Korea and the like in the last decade. there are plenty of style-over-content films from Hong Kong that work much better than this.
Also Jonathan Rhys-Meyers is an annoying little twot.
April 28, 2008
Based on Alex Garlands second novel this film really disappoints. The interweaved story was always going to be difficult to film but strangely bringing together the different elements and characters works quite well. The problem is the lacklustre performance and directing. The characters donā??t draw you in therefore you donā??t feel anything for them. Sean comes across as an idiot where he should have been a loveable rogue. Rosa should be a kind compassionate person with an overbearing sadness but is actually a little creepy. Wit could have been an unfortunate child doing what he has to in order to survive but is a just lying, thieving little bastard. The photography is suitably stylised as you would expect from Oxide Pang and the hotel perfectly dingy but the Bangkok location is not really exploited asking the question why move the setting from Manila as it was in the book.

In short interesting storey but read the book and donā??t bother with the film.
April 9, 2008
A forgettable film, but not terrible.
March 18, 2008
A predecessor to Babel and crash, with intricate stories and delicious plots.
March 11, 2008
The dictionary definition of style over content. Almost every shot is interesting in some way, but the film itself seems ultimately pointless. Some good acting from the Thai actors can't salvage it.