The Theatre Bizarre - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Theatre Bizarre Reviews

May 13, 2013
ooooo! another anthology! i didn't think this was terrible. more often than not did the short stories surprise me -- the main story was predictable but started out strong, too... it's weird. if you like weird, then you may like this.
April 15, 2013
Well... it sure is bizarre. As much as I love anthology movies, this movie was okay. The first segment, "Mother of Toads" was very, very strange. I didn't really like it all that much. The next segment, "I Love You" is pretty boring at first, but had a pretty strange twist and a well done ending. "Wet Dreams" is a weird ass Tom Savini segment that involves a lot of penis mutilation, and overall was really messed up... but it gets worse on the cringe scenes. "Vision Stains" involves a lot of needle in a certain area (trying to not spoil) scenes that are really gross. "Sweets" was a really good segment about a fat man's weird fetishes. Although one of my friends kept saying, "When is this gonna end?" I enjoyed the film... for the most part.
½ March 17, 2013
a tasty slice of life in that told in horror format . like a fable. some parts were a bit hard follow but was able put on a good show.
March 16, 2013
Some of the clips are so poorly done that you can't help but laugh through the whole thing. Some are extremely well done particularly the last two including a woman who kills homeless people and sticks a needle in their eye then injects it in her own to see everything they saw. The last one about a strange sweet addiction was odd but intriguing. The first couple are miserable but hilarious. Overall I enjoyed my stay by I don't think ill he'd back anytime soon.
March 6, 2013
Not the best acting, but some interesting stories for horror fans.
½ February 23, 2013
This was only released in 2012?! This movie definately will show you bizarre. If Tales from the Crypt had no boundaries this is what it may have been. Plenty of wtf and cringeworthy moments. There's also a penis omelet.
February 20, 2013
Deliciously awe-inspiring! Couldn't look away!
February 16, 2013
interesting collection of short horror stories. good production, interesting stories, good acting.
January 25, 2013
Surprisingly solid anthology. While the frame for presenting these stories is fairly mediocre, the actual short films range between "better than expected" and "whoa, holy cow that was much better than i expected." Even the low end of the spectrum managed to engage me as a viewer, even when the storyline was ridiculous, absurd, and downright gruesome. The story hooked me and I couldn't wait to see how they ended it. And that's pretty good. But the two standout stories (The Accident, Vision Stains) are what take this up a few grand notches. The Accident is a poetic exploration of a defining moment in a young girl's life. A number of the scenes in that are shot in a way that made it feel like it was taken out of a Lars Von Trier film. Vision Stains has one of the most beautifully ambitious sci-fi plot I've seen in a long time. It should be made into a full length, though it stands fairly well as-is.
January 23, 2013
As with all anthologies some segments don't quite pull it off but The Mother of Toads and Sweets plus the creepy theatre wrap around are darkly enjoyable.
January 19, 2013
It's different, that's for sure.
January 17, 2013
Not many movies are worth remembering, this one however, seems to have the potential of being a "cult classic." It's one of the few that I actually found creepy and recommend as a "must see."
½ December 5, 2012
1st story was not too good, 2nd was shockingly great, 3rd was alright I guess, 4th was depressing as fuck, 5th was just stupid, and 6th was even worse. 1 out of 6 isn't too bad, I guess.
November 1, 2012
Inspiré des farces macabres qui figuraient à l'affiche du Théâtre du Grand-Guignol parisien au début du siècle dernier, "The Theatre bizarre" s'attelle au difficile exercice du film d'épouvante à sketchs. De l'horreur gothique vintage de Richard Stanley aux méditations mortifères d'un Douglas Buck en passant par les délires gores ou vomitifs de Tom Savini et David Gregory, il y a à boire et à manger au sein du Theatre Bizarre ! Ces courts-métrages, forcément inégaux en qualité, possèdent au moins le mérite de l'originalité, ainsi qu'une nette volonté de dépasser les limites de ce que propose généralement le cinéma d'horreur mainstream, souvent bien prude en matière de déballage de boyaux et de nudité gratuite à l'écran. Globalement plaisant et "rafraîchissant" (si, si), "The Theatre Bizarre", à l'instar de mini-séries comme "Nightmares & Dreamscapes" ou "Masters of Horrors", semble confirmer que l'épouvante se déploie décidément avec plus d'efficacité en format court ou moyen.
October 29, 2012
Cheesy and strange in all the right places. Enjoyably bizarre.
½ October 28, 2012
3 of the 6 tales are good.
October 25, 2012
Grotesque, dark, creepy ,naughty and very bizarre indeed.
October 16, 2012
The Theatre Bizarre is the perfect mix of every type of horror there is out there....it is pure, gory, blood-soaked madness at its finest that will give horror fans the feeling of being a kid locked in a candy store for two blissful hours....
October 10, 2012
A young woman finds herself drawn inexplicably to a run down theatre, becoming witness to a series of morbid tales, hosted by a human sized ventriloquial figure. Yes, we're in the terror-tory (Ha! Pun!) of portmanteaus - a genre of horror that the term 'mixed bag' was genetically grown for. Whereas in the distant past, other films of this type (The House that Dripped Blood, Asylum) have tended to be headed up by one team behind the curtain, Theatre Bizarre goes the way V/H/S, with different directors and writers for each segment.

Unfortunately, unlike V/H/S, it's just not very successful. Some stories simply substitute gore and tits for story, whilst others seem to tag on a surprise ending at odds with the rest of the tale - a case of 'he was walking down the street, eating an ice cream and then his knees fell off'. One story in particular, in which a mother tries to make light of her young daughter's fascination with death after witnessing a bike accident, stands out the most because of its maturity amongst all the blood and boobs. It's the bright spark in an otherwise depressing number of z-grade stories that not even the appearance of uber-legend, Tom Savini, can save.