The Thin Man Goes Home Reviews

• Jan 12, 2020

Love this series and thanks to TCM, I was able to watch the complete series in order! What a treat!

• Jan 12, 2018

A good entry in the series.

A good entry in the series.

• Jun 18, 2016

I enjoyed it, but there are scenes of Nick spanking Nora, and Nick being not nice in general, which make 21st century me cringe.

• Apr 30, 2016

This is the 5th film in the "Thin Man" series, and though I enjoyed it, it's not as strong as some of the earlier films. Powell and Loy have great chemistry and it's fun watching them together. The formula for these films was well established by this point so there wasn't much surprises anymore, but there was a comforting factor to them Worth checking out for fans of classic cinema.

• Jan 30, 2016

William Powell visits his hometown with wife Myrna Loy, and would you guess that Nick and Nora get caught up in another murder mystery? I suppose you can give the film points for mixing things up a bit, but I do prefer to see Nick & Nora swapping witty banter in Manhattan nightclubs rathe than being witty over picket fences in Sycamore Springs. This entry into the series clearly acknowledges that no one is going to these films for the mystery and are going for the comedy, because this film has significantly more humor than the prior films, which is not a bad thing, but that coupled with the drastic change of setting made this feel less like a Thin Man film and more just like another Powell/Loy vehicle. Still, it's hard to not love anything where Powell and Loy are doing comedy and charming witty banter.

• Nov 24, 2015

I watched this film last, despite it being the fifth film. Maybe that was a good thing. The movie's resolution with Nick's father, and the hilarious antics of his childhood home are all brought to hilarity in this installment. I don't really recall the big plot, but it was entertaining.

• Sep 01, 2015

In the 5th film in the long-running series, William Powell and Myrna Loy (as Nick and Nora Charles, created by Dashiell Hammett) head up to Saratoga Springs to visit Nick's parents and boyhood home. Their double act is still amusing and lackadaisical but this time there is a great deal of obfuscation around the mystery - you couldn't solve it yourself (which I guess makes Nick Charles seem even more astounding). Like many other films in this genre, all of the suspects end up in the same room at the end where Nick can surprise one of them into confessing. However, this time Myrna Loy provides some meta-commentary about how all of Nick's cases always end up in this way - it's a bit more self-reflexive than I expected but when you are on film 5, I guess this is where your thoughts go. Nothing wrong with this as a genre picture, although the two leads could act circles around the rest of the cast (save perhaps Asta).

• Nov 23, 2014

Another winner, this fifth film in the classic comedy detective series, this time with a new director at the helm in Richard Thorpe. It's good that they chose a different angle, in having Nick the prodigal son returning to his hometown and visiting his parents. The ending is quite touching.

• Apr 15, 2014

Nick goes home and finally introduces the wife to his boyhood haunts. Unfortunately his reputation, before & after growing up, precedes him. Several great moments and a decent attempt at red herrings, but this one doesn't quite fire on all cylinders. Though it's nice to see Nick outperform Nora in the hammock scene.

• Jan 25, 2014

Terrific , great chemistry , funny and suspenseful!!! Great Saturday morning fare ;)