The Thorn in the Heart Reviews

• Jan 09, 2017

People are so selfish that they can't even respect this man's heartwarming dedication to his beloved aunt.

• Sep 22, 2016

A blown up home movie, it's difficult to see how this would be of interest to anyone outside Gondrys family circle.

• Apr 20, 2016

Not sure if anyone cares about this film except for Gondry and family as it's just a home video with interviews about their family stories. Most audiences will get bored in a minute. It's not interesting except when it dives in to some traumatic family drama, but I can appreciate a passion project of such.

• Marcus W Super Reviewer
    Nov 20, 2015

Michel Gondry thought that his Aunt's life would make an interesting documentary. It doesn't.

• Oct 22, 2012

Michel Gondry has possibly made the greatest home movie ever, but like all other home movies, it doesn't do that much for people who aren't related. But to see where some of his inspiration as an artist came from is a very rare touch that people seldom see with great artists.

• Aug 25, 2011

Difficult to evaluate - as personal filmmaking, it's fine, but it's hard to understand what Gondry thinks audiences outside his family are supposed to get from this.

• Walter M Super Reviewer
    Jul 05, 2011

"The Thorn in the Heart" is a documentary from Michel Gondry about his aunt Suzette, concentrating on her teaching career and the people whose lives she has touched over the decades. Just because the material is slight does not stop Gondry from using it to explore some of his favorite themes including memory while having fun with the documentary genre itself, as the movie becomes very meta at times through heightened transparency. One example is the recreation of the infamous blocked bathroom door incident. The highlight for me was the model train set that was used in chapter titles which is a very nice touch especially if you are watching this documentary on a train as I was.

• Mar 23, 2011

This was an inspiring little documentary about Michel's Gondry's aunt Suzette and other members of his family. I felt like a voyeur watching it. The opening scene of the family sharing a meal had me doubled over, loud in a laughing fit. I was caught-up in a story about kraut and antacids. The rest, sprinkled with rudimentary, but colorful special effects, was personal, and almost far from boring. Suzette reminisces with the voice of a poet and the wit of a mind set far from being asleep and apart from the world. I see why Gondry made her the centerpiece for his project. She is an engine for the wheels which carry his family along with pride.

• Mar 08, 2011

If you are not part of the Gondry family... who cares. Though it is sweet. But as the wife said if you dont release it then you cant claim the tax.....

• scott g Super Reviewer
    Feb 16, 2011

Michael gondry, goes back home to make a doc on his auntie, a former school teacher, here they visit schools she worked in through the late 50s and beyond, while looking back at family life, its a interesting enough idea, just doesent come across especially exiting, just a old women bringing up memorys, sometimes gondrys magic comes into play, so thats interesting, just not enough