The Three Lives of Thomasina Reviews

• Sep 11, 2020

I got about half of the way through before I realized that I had seen it before. I watched it primarily for the children who played Jane and Michael in Mary Poppins and I didn't know that they had done this movie before that classic. They both did a wonderful job as did all of the cast. I wasn't expecting it to be so sad or dramatic and there is some treatment to animals that probably wouldn't be allowed today. There's a scene where the main character (Mary) is putting a bonnet on Thomasina and you can see the cat's annoyance and how the main Mary is a little rough with her, but it's nothing that should be of a concern as far as enjoyment. They do address the subject of animal abuse later on in the movie when a circus comes to town and the town veterinarian has to confront the abusers. I loved the character of the "witch" and how kind she was. She has a profound effect on Mary's father and it really changes him for the better. The ending is just wonderful and it has a brighter tone than the rest of the movie. I really enjoyed it and considered watching it again before I turned it in, but I think I'll watch it again another time. I wish they still made Disney movies like this.

• Jul 21, 2020

Cracking little film. 'The Three Lives of Thomasina' is very cute and surprisingly existential. It's well shot and paced, with a terrific adult cast - the child members do cheapen things a little, but not to point where it affects enjoyment. Patrick McGoohan (Dr. MacDhui) and Susan Hampshire (Lori) are both excellent, they suit their respective roles perfectly. Laurence Naismith, who I enjoyed in 1961's 'Greyfriars Bobby: The True Story of a Dog', appears in a somewhat minor role but still makes it memorable. Elspeth March does a fine job voicing Thomasina, too. It sends a positive message and actually delves relatively deep into the human/animal side. Not saying it's a masterpiece in that regard or anything, I just didn't expect it would have that sorta spirit. This was technically released in 1963 ('properly' in 1964), a year that I didn't enjoy in terms of Disney live-action films so this is easily the best in relative to that. If you love cats you'll enjoy this, you should give it a watch regardless.

• Jul 18, 2020

Really cute family film.

Really cute family film.

• Oct 19, 2019

This was about what I expected for a classic Disney movie. It contains the fairly well-developed plot and the charm that is characteristic among most old Disney movies. The movie wasn't distinctively outstanding, but it wasn't disappointing.

• Oct 14, 2018

A great family film, something to watch with your kids and then have discussions with afterward.. and don't let them catch you crying.

• Aug 11, 2018

I loved this sweet movie with a message. The children and story line is adorable.

• May 16, 2016

its a nice movie, :)

its a nice movie, :)

• Oct 20, 2013

I liked this movie as a kid. But when I rewatched it as an adult, I found it a little hard to sit through.

• Apr 16, 2013

A hidden gem in the Disney catalogue, and a must for cat lovers.

A hidden gem in the Disney catalogue, and a must for cat lovers.

• Feb 02, 2013

One of my favorite movies of all time.

One of my favorite movies of all time.