The Tiger: An Old Hunter's Tale (Daeho) Reviews

• Sep 26, 2020

Too long. Great for 30minutes. I expected the tiger to start talking. Sentimentality is the weakness of Korean cinema. Still have no idea what it's about.

• Jun 05, 2020

One of the best films of the decade !!! Those who liked The Revenant will definitely like this movie because it has some similarities. This film has beautiful cinematography, the soundtrack gives chills but it is not a film for those who are very sensitive to animals because this film is very sad. Altogether, a story well told with great scenery photos and some CGI well done.

• Jul 25, 2019

This movie has from star to finish a great history... I hace cried and I have felt identified with emotiones to be father. I realy amazing all movie.

• Mar 30, 2019

Park Hung-Joon's The Tiger is an incredibly powerful allegorical drama set during the Japanese rule of Korea in the early 1900s. The Japanese rulers have declared to make extinct the last remaining Korean tigers so hire local hunters to help kill the last surviving family on the mountain. Man Duk (Choi Min-Sik) is an old hunter of principle, deemed to be the best by all his hunting peers. He refuses to help the Japanese hunt the last remaining tiger and carries on with his life of hardship whilst the Japanese carry on with their hunt. On the face of it The Tiger is about Man vs Tiger but if you look a little harder then the allegorical themes will reveal themselves. The Tiger represents Korea's resilience towards Japan's invasion and rule during one of their hardest historical periods of adversity. Just watch City Of Life & Death to see how the Koreans suffered at the hands of the Japanese. As well as this allegory we are also reminded of humanities utter disregard for nature. The Japanese machine does not stop for anything in their pursuit therefore other animals in their path are despicably killed and forest is decimated. At times this is a tough watch and reminded me how horrible we can be as a species. Park Hung-Joon's deft direction is superb. He slowly reveals the tiger throughout, often seeing glimpses of the beast between the trees & foliage. He waits until the final breathtaking and downright emotional act to reveal the tiger in all of its rendered beauty. A CGI'd tiger to rival Richard Parker in Life Of Pi. The setting of the mountain side is almost a character in itself. We watch the changing seasons give the beautiful landscape it's own bleak personality. Performances are generally good but it's Choi Min-Sik who stands out. He remains one of my favourite actors since he was introduced to me in Oldboy. The Tiger is breathtaking with an emotionally charged final act which had me in tears. A perfect 5/5.

• Nov 29, 2018

The Trailer does not give this movie justice to how amazing it is. The movie is perfect in every way, the voice acting is intense and the CGI looks amazing. No to spoil anymore this movie nails the character for the tiger better than JK Rowlings did with Harry Potter. This is an absolute much watch.

• Nov 17, 2018

Well-acted and beautifully filmed, this is a wonderfully told story about the relationship between beast and man, skilfully showing the situation from different perspectives, including the tiger's. I don't think I've seen it told quite like this before which makes it all the more impressive. Even with a fairly long running time, it keeps you engaged the whole way through with a mix of drama and tense hunting scenes that, ultimately, result in an emotional ride with a glorious ending. There are deeper messages at work too, including an environmental one which is as important as ever, once again highlighting the shameful practice of trophy hunting and the absolute necessity to not only recognise the beauty of nature, but to show it the reverence it deserves, something we humans are currently failing at quite abysmally.

• Aug 25, 2018

Excellent film, very underrated. A must see.

Excellent film, very underrated. A must see.

• Mar 05, 2018

<3 Worth Watching.

<3 Worth Watching.

• Jan 19, 2018

The Tiger is the best action hero since the original King Kong. Awesome!!

The Tiger is the best action hero since the original King Kong. Awesome!!

• Apr 01, 2017