The Tiger Hunter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Tiger Hunter Reviews

April 13, 2018
Ah, the American Dream. The reason why so many immigrants decided to come to the United States where, they felt, everyone has a shot at success as long as they work hard. The Statue of Liberty, a symbol of hope and freedom to these people. Hell, even the first Pilgrims were in search of their dreams and freedom from persecution. Of course it wasn't called the American dream just yet, but they were searching for a lot of the same things that latter immigrants (of which they're part of) And then the current president came along and decided that, if you weren't a full-blooded (mostly white) American, then your American dream could get fucked and completely took a shit on the immigrants who laid the groundwork for most of what we have here this day. The president's mother is, in fact, an immigrant. All of the president's children were mothered by TWO immigrant women. Funny how life works, huh? Regardless, that's neither here nor there. As far as this movie goes, however, it tells an engineer's journey from his small Indian village to Chicago so he can live the American dream, become a success and maybe, just maybe, live up to his father's great legacy. For, you see, Sami's father was this great tiger hunter that Sami idolized and his entire village loved. Sami has some big shoes to fill and he's not certain that he can live up to his father's greatness. Oh and he also wants to marry the love of his life, Ruby, who's set to be married off, except her father is a strict General in the army and he wants his daughter to marry a successful man, not some sort of LOOOOOSER. Obviously, this comes into play in the movie much later when Sami uses his friend's parents' mansion as a cover for his own success. This feels a little too sitcom-y for my tastes, but it wasn't so much of a problem in the long run. But I'm getting ahead of myself, Sami arrives in Chicago and things simply do not go as he planned. He moves in with a group of roommates (around 11 or 13 of them), they are all like him in that they left their villages in Pakistan, Indian and Bangalore to find success in America. The job he planned on getting, an engineer's position, has been changed to that of a temporary draftsman. The chief engineer and his team at Graydian Industries are looking to build a microwave that doesn't explode when it attempts to perfectly reheat frozen food. This is where Sami finds his calling as he attempts to find a way to fix a microwave that has been thrown out as a result of the failed experiments at Graydian (I think that's the company called at least) is order to, maybe, get a promotion so he can make the money he feels he needs in order to impress the woman he loves. All the while Alex, who happens to be the boss of the company, helps Sami find his way through the company and what he needs to do in order to fit in with people who happen to be higher up on the totem pole than him. The movie manages to fit various goals, for Sami at least, without feeling like it's doing too much at one time. Sami wants his promotion, he wants to impress the woman he loves (and her father), his developing friendship with Alex and Babu (the most entertaining character in the entire film), and wanting to live up to his father's greatness by becoming a success in this country. Though, to be fair, this all feels very natural and it doesn't acome across as forced, because Sami really is a likable character, you do want him to succeed at everything he sets his mind to. As far as the scripting of the movie is concerned, it's not like there's anything truly outstanding here, but it is certainly very solid indeed. All the characters are very much likable. The story, while certainly predictable, hitting all the beats you would expect, is enjoyable. The movie is also funny, but not what I would call hilarious. It's not like I mean that as a flaw, since it does the movie well that it doesn't take itself so seriously, but if you're expecting the funniest movie you've ever seen, then this will not be it. I like some of the concepts that are explored here in that Sami idolized his father, to the point that one of the first scenes is the village that his father helped save from the tiger bursting into a traditional dance and celebrating his achievements, as if he was some sort of god. But, again, that's all Sami's perception of his father and the reality of who his father was was entirely different. Well, maybe not entirely different, but he only killed one tiger (despite being called the great tiger hunter) and his village adored him for that, since he saved them from doom. But he also did much more for the village than just saving them from the tiger and that's something that Sami doesn't realize until much better. You might ask yourself how exactly this is relevant to the narrative, since his father was still beloved by the people of his village anyway. So, technically, it shouldn't matter if he did or didn't do additional stuff to help his village, he still would have been beloved by them anyway, but I think it works. Plus, there's a flashback, right after he talks with his mother when he realizes there was more to his father than he remembered, where Sami's father tells him that it's not the hunt, but the people that you surround yourself with. And this is what pushes him to get help from his fellow roommates in order to fix the microwave in order to meet the deadline. It's a little contrived that they solved it so relatively quickly, but given the fact that this movie is such a pleasant, easy watch, that's not really much of a problem for me. Danny Pudi is very good here, as he embodies the hopes and dreams of immigrants everywhere of making something of themselves. He's got an everyman personality, where, even if you can't personally relate to his struggles, you can still get behind him. Rizwan Manji (who plays Babu) is, as I mentioned, pretty damn funny in his role. I don't know if I can say that there are many flaws in this movie. I mean, I'm certain there are some, since every flick has them, but I just had a good time watching this. I feel that it never really gets out of second gear. What I mean by that is that this is just a good movie. I realize that might seem like a stupid thing to complain about, since making a good movie is hard to do, but it never seems to want to be anything more than that. And I can't fault this film for realizing its limitations, but I just wish we had gotten a great movie instead of a good one. Of course, I'm still not gonna complain TOO much since I did enjoy myself watching this. It's not perfect, but it's entertaining nonetheless. I would certainly recommend it, even if you can't relate to what the lead is going through. Like you need to be able to relate to someone and their struggles to get into a movie, but some people really are very stupid. Like the current president. Sorry, had to get in one last zinger. Good stuff here.
½ March 3, 2018
good bollywood beginning, cute at times, but ultimately a lousy script.
January 28, 2018
A light and pleasant flick. The charm builds and makes it worth a watch.
January 24, 2018
Thoroughly delightful!
November 14, 2017
Five staaaaaarrs!! I would put the entire galaxy ?? if I could.
Tiger Hunter hit the right notes with an inspirational message.
I was very inspired by the touching and truthful story. But what hooked me to love this film was twisting the conventional template and keeping the well developed hero an honest and sincere one. ?????? AND IT WAS FUNNY TOO!
October 14, 2017
This really is good-feeling family fun. This takes so heavy concepts and delivers it with feel-good comedy and a 70s flair. I highly recommend you go see it!

I don't want to make this a long review, but with so many important minority firsts, it's important you go see it and give it a chance. You won't regret it!
October 13, 2017
This movie is a hilarious account of immigrants' struggle and rise in the US. We definitely need more movies like this; not only to educate immigrant haters, but also for diasporic Desis like myself to see beyond the current successful status of the doctors and engineers in the community. I definitely appreciate and respect my dad, and the uncles and aunties more after watching The Tiger Hunter.
October 1, 2017
I absolutely loved The Tiger Hunter film. I watched it because it contains my favourite actress, Karen David. As always she was absolutely fabulous playing her on-screen character, Ruby.

Sami (Danny Pudi), an engineer, wants to follow his dreams. In order to reach his aspirations he decides to move to America. He is supported by his one and only true love, Ruby, who gives him everything she can to help him achieve his dreams. I love the bond between Ruby and Sami, they are just adorable.

This is a heartfelt movie showing the importance of acceptance, equality and love. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll absolutely love this film.

Emma Esberger <3
September 29, 2017
I laughed more than I thought I would. Nice light movie.
September 28, 2017
This movie is so very good!! The storyline is excellent and profound. All actors were superb! I was immediately transported back to the 70's and even teared up during one scene (I never cry). Looking forward to seeing it again to catch the small details. Find it and see it ASAP!
September 25, 2017
Amazing movie that was powerful, witty, and sweet. Definitely recommend!!
September 24, 2017
The film at times can be fluffy and overlong, but the cast keeps the film upbeat and good natured. B-
September 24, 2017
I've seen this movie three times and laughed out loud every single time. Lena Khan's directorial debut is a revelation. Funny, touching, absurd, heartwarming and sentimental, this hits all the right notes. A feel good movie that'll leave you smiling.

Danny Pudi is charming as Sami, an engineer who heads to America to make a name for himself, so that he might live up to the legend of his father, the great tiger hunter, and also woo his childhood sweetheart Ruby. Karen David sparkles as the best friend/object of Sami's desire. You believe their friendship is real and their chemistry leaps off the screen.

Jon Heder and Kevin Pollack turn in fantastic performances as "coworkers" at Sami's depressing job (he works in the basement, drafting designs all day for a failing microwave business). But the real star amongst the dozen sidekicks is Babu, played with crackling glee by Rizwan Manji. Babu is the id of the movie, a cheerful immigrant living the American dream with his General Lee car and his "fiancée" Mary Tyler Moore. Babu is every college student moving out for the first time, into an apartment with their best friend (or 13), dead broke, but full of hope and excitement.

Seeing this film not only reminds you of how much immigrants have made the US what it is, but it also harkens back to a time when the American dream seemed tangible, romantic, and possible. Frankly, the world needs more Samis, Rubys, Babus, Alexes, Kareems, Rehans, Vikrams, Abdullahs, Parags and Siddeshes.

Go see this darling film.
September 23, 2017

Jon Heder and Kevin Pollack turn in fantastic performances as "coworker's" at Sami's depressing job (he works in the basement, drafting designs all day for a failing microwave business). But the real star amongst the dozen sidekicks is Babu, played with crackling glee by Rizwan Manji. Babu is the id of the movie, a gleeful immigrant living the American dream with his General Lee car and his "fiancée" Mary Tyler Moore. Babu is every college student moving out for the first time, into an apartment with their best friend (or 13), dead broke, but full of hope and excitement.

Go see this darling film.
September 22, 2017
Loved this movie. This isn't your typical love story; very clever and thoughtful.
September 21, 2017
I loved the Tiger Hunter. It was funny but not based on stupid slapstick pranks. It was heartfelt and allowed a humorous yet poignant little glimpse into an immigrant's desire to be given an opportunity to obtain the American Dream.
September 19, 2017
This is a funny movie that touches the heart. It's worth watching over and over.
September 19, 2017
I watched the premiere last night in Knoxville. It was an excellent family friendly movie that people can relate to! The story was funny and yet he a great message.
September 18, 2017
Fantastic film!!! A well made movie with tons of heart and comedy as well. Job Heder, Rizwan Manji, Karen David, turn in amazing performances under the wonderful direction of Lena Kahn. A definite must see!
September 17, 2017
Fantastic movie! Independent filmmaking at it's very best with a delightful cast and funny storyline, this movie will have you smiling from start to finish!