The Tree of Life - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Tree of Life Reviews

March 8, 2018
The Tree of Life isn't a movie by conventional standards, but an art piece of random pieces of footage that says "look at me and come up with your own answer". It is a pathetic excuse for a movie. It lacks even the most basic components necessary to call something a movie. It is the only movie off the top of my head that i have called pretentious, because this is the very definition of the word.

The Tree of Life is a jumbled mess of footage from 2001 A Space Odyssey, to some family from Texas. Why do i need to see the creation of the universe and life to understand the hardship of a 1950's family? I don't know. Why should i care about anything that happens to these people when the lack of any kind of narrative, or structure robs me of understanding why i'm watching them in the first place? I don't know. Why does Sean Penn show up like 5 times for completely pointless scenes that have nothing to do with anything? I don't know. What was the ending? I don't know.

This is literally all this movie is. Footage without any kind of cohesion that insists that its greater than it is. But it's nothing. It does nothing, it shows nothing, it says nothing, it's a great big beautiful spectacle of nothing.
½ February 23, 2018
it was they who led me to your door..

The Tree Of Life

There hardly will be any other feature that celebrates nature, humanity and emotions through cinematography to this excellency that it literally needs no word. The Tree Of Life defines humanity and preaches the depth, innocence and darkness of it which ranges in wider regions on narrow perspectives all of it resulting into offering some of the best of 2 hours of your life and leaving you wiser. Terrence Malick whispers soul into each and every frame and executes his script from paper to screen like never before and raises the bar of execution, editing and specificity of it. Brad Pitt, Jessica Chastain are amazing in it with supporting cast like Sean Penn but the real essence of the feature are the kids. The Tree Of Life has a thought provoking concept and more importantly its projection which along with the help of stellar performances, exhilarating background score and unusual script antes up a game for the drama genre.
½ February 18, 2018
I would rather watch paint dry for 3 weeks. Then watch this movie again. It sucked so bad that i wish i could have the 3 hours of my life back and spend the three hours in prison.
January 30, 2018
This unusual movie about life, the universe, and everything, offers many questions but provides few answers. It contains little dialogue and visually is often imaginative, dreamlike and surreal. I found myself reflecting on my own childhood and place in the world. AAN AFI 1001
½ January 27, 2018
This admirably ambitious film captures the natural world and human experience within it. It conveys staggering emotional intimacy considering its epic scale. Cinematography (while exquisite) conceals more than it reveals in places.
½ January 19, 2018
Puntaje Original: 5.0

Laaaaaargaaaaameeeenteeee iiiiiinneeeeeeeceeeeeeesaaaaariiiiiiiiooooo.
½ January 13, 2018
this will go down as one of the most divisive films of all time
and considering how it stacked up during the OSCARS Terrence Malick's approach is something to analyze very closely
this is one of those soul-searching, thinking man's films centering on a beloved family and focusing on the son all grown-up pondering the universe, its meaning and its existence as a whole
I love Brad Pitt as the stern, disciplined father, Jessica Chastain as the ever-loving mother, and Sean Penn as the adult version of the most troubled member of the family looking back to see where and how he got to where he is
keep in mind this film isn't for the most impatient of viewers as it is very long and the narrative isn't very streamlined
that'll definitely be challenging for most but those with enough of just sitting down and deconstruct the film's vision it's worth it
the shots are beautiful, the music is very operatic, and the actors do work with what little they have to actually say
the thing about life is that it's an entire tree of our existence in the universe; the smallest beginning point can lead to the biggest conclusions
we're born, we live, we die, we go on and so forth while the rest of the universe is ever-changing
Terrence Malick has a knack for the mindbending and unusual but it's still a creative style
January 8, 2018
An artistic wanna-be like film which doesn't deliver and makes no sense
½ January 8, 2018
Now I've registered my disgust at such an awful awful film, I feel much better.
½ December 25, 2017
It has too many "filling" to have sustanse
½ December 17, 2017
This is my least favorite movie of all time. To say I hated it does not begin to tell the story. I will never see another movie by this director ever again.
½ December 17, 2017
This film is great visually. However, it was way too hard for me and probably most moviegoers to understand. Probably worth watching twice or even three times if you can sit through it.
December 15, 2017
You can attempt to portray this as some type of grand vision or inspiring culmination of visuals, or you can be real....this movie is horrible and a waste of talent, time, and money.
October 16, 2017
This is emotionally driven storytelling and filmmaking on a purer level, one that relays actual mental processes and all the subtle details of human interaction, while also showcasing meditative observations about life that strengthens faith and inspires kindness.
October 10, 2017
If you are easily bored this movie probably isn't for you but the visuals are great and the cinematography is beautiful, there are plenty of things to enjoy.
September 24, 2017
I'm glad that this film is slowly starting to gain the popularity it deserves in "Best Films of All Time" lists. It's always great to see a clever work of ambiguity. It leaves you thinking about it long afterwards. There are some scenes which are so complex that they can puzzle you long afterwards. Beneath all of its ambiguity lies a fleshed out character arc. On top of that, its cinematography is amazing. It is a pretty strong contender for "Best Cinematography Ever". This is a great film which must be experienced by everyone.
½ August 24, 2017
47% (08-08-2016)

78% (08-24-2017)
½ August 18, 2017
Tedious, drippy, claptrap. That's about all I can say. Two hours of exploring a family dynamic that could easily be explained in about 3 sentences. There were about 3 scenes that sincerely moved me (totaling about 47 seconds altogether). Then there were a bunch of scenes where I was not necessarily moved but I found a commendable authenticity. But nothing came of any of it. It was all just a lot of public zit-squeezing on the part of Terence Malick. And oh-my-gawd, the whispered voiceovers. There needed to be a special Razzie for Achievement in New Lows in Voiceovers Brother. Mother. It was they who led me to your door. Help each other. Love everyone. Every leaf. Every ray of light. Forgive. Are you kidding me with that crap? 3 out of 10
½ July 19, 2017
Tree of life is by far one of the most beautiful films I have ever seen, it capture's life in such an amazing way. I found myself gasping at the incredible cinematography, filming and the incredible soundtrack. If you in anyway love the art of film, this is a must see
½ July 16, 2017
This film speaks to the spirit of restlessness and seeking to find a place within ourselves where we can find peace and stillness, but there is none, just an ongoing sequence of images that interspersed as they are randomly on screen, actually in my view convey the macabre nature of life itself, given that if we are all living between thin veil atmosphere and space and then the ongoing infiniteness of nothing in space, you are nearly called to question how this story may be the quintessential expression of the unfolding and pulling at the seems of the traditional American family as it traverses from the drastic cultural and spiritual differences between the years of the 1950s and the current 2000s we live in, the expanse between these American cultural experiences nearly propels this film and charges it with meaning, which makes all the more compelling the beauty, absurdity, grace, timeless pensivity of the simple yet profound questions the film asks, and it is justly so that there is little dialogue, that there is hardly any communication between the people that occupy the film, because aren't we all each lost in our own universes which no one else can truly occupy, no one else except the Loving arms of the Divine, which I think is expressed as dearly loving and treasuring the boys as they meander through the abusive and tough social terrain of their fractured childhoods.