The Tree of Life - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Tree of Life Reviews

February 22, 2017
The Tree of Life is a very unique movie, it has good themes and is a very beautiful movie, but it's boring as hell. Malick forgets to have interesting characters, but I guess that's ok for a film like this.
February 12, 2017
Started watching this movie expecting the unexpected, and the unexpected is what I got. The entire movie is visually stunning, but the narrative was lost on me. I had to read interpretations written by others to get a semblance of its meaning, but even they were not totally convincing.
February 3, 2017
Although considered only an 'Art' film this film has tremendous depth & visual scope. On the surface it's the story of a Mid West American family & their struggles & joys but there is so much more to this than initially seems.

The film in my opinion focuses on creation in general with the juxtaposition of the creation of the earth & a child itself.

This is by no means entertainment but very deep & thought provoking. Sensational performance by Jessica Chastain who is a shinning star. Also terrific performances by the young boys..Terrence Malik has directed a beautiful film.
½ January 27, 2017
Absolute waste of time!
January 10, 2017
It's should've been better than this
January 3, 2017
"The Tree of Life" evokes the wonder and awe of the naturalistic pain, suffering, and acceptance that are all part of life's experience. A truly incredible experience.
December 26, 2016
One of the most artistic film's of all time.
December 24, 2016
'The Tree of Life' is an incredibly ambitious project, that tries to tell the story of the universe and explain the meaning of life through the life of an ordinary family during the 50s, but at the same time its themes and the questions it raises are extremely relatable,. This movie isn't an easy watch, since the plost is almost non-existent, but this is functional to what Malick tries to communicate. Intersped with the everyday life of the family are stunning images from the creation of universe and the birth of life, accompained by fittingly wonderful music by Mozart, Smetana and Brahms. The cinematography by Emmanuel Lubezki is absolutely jaw-dropping, both in the everyday scenes and in the oniric sequences. Ultimately the movie proves to be an overwhelmingly emotional experience, that manages to make us feel part of something beautiful and hard to understand. One of the best films of the last years.
December 23, 2016
I felt like i was on a never-ending acid trip while watching the discovery channel. I'm all for artistic movies; but even a Brad Pitt led performace can't erase the stench that is the trash of this moview
½ December 6, 2016
Dreamy and fragmented with a nod to Kubrik's 2001.
November 29, 2016
It's kind of like that Insane Clown Posse video for Miracles, but a master film-work.
½ November 14, 2016
There seem to be two different reactions to this film. Some see it as a pretentious artsy project, others see it as a beautiful representation of life. Me, I'm in that second group, but I can understand that first group. I do think this film could have worked better as a documentary. That would probably be more satisfting for all.
½ November 13, 2016
The Tree Of Life might be the most overrated movie I've ever watched. I've seen films before which received rave reviews that I didn't connect much with, but I could at least see what people liked about them. Not in this instance. I've completely run out of things to say about the Emperor of Emptiness, Terrence Malick, because each time I end up at the same conclusion: The cinematography is gorgeous and the lighting is beautiful, but the characterisation is non-existent, the acting is disinterested, the narration and score are insanely irritating, it drags on for far too long and all of it is wrapped up in a big, thick, inescapable blanket of pretentiousness. The Tree Of Life fails primarily because it doesn't tell a story, instead shoving constant artsy symbolism and imagery down the audience's throat until they gag. Apparently, Mr. Malick found God before making this film, and it turns out he was very, very eager to inform us of this fact, so rather than reading from a script the cast seem to have been given a prayer book instead, making the whole think feel less like a piece of entertainment than an interminable Sunday church service. There is no way to connect, absorb or enjoy it. It's the most blatant example of cinematic self-pleasuring and aggrandisement I've ever seen, and a classic example of how a fashionable director can make seemingly anything and, no matter how pompous, vain or lifeless, will still be showered with praise.
November 4, 2016
A very difficult film to enjoy with an unusual style and a complete lack of plot that may frustrate many or most viewers. Whilst watching I found myself struggling to become engaged and instead willing for the film to reach some kind of conclusion. In fact I was hoping it would reach some kind of narrative thrust. It is basically a host of vignettes that showcase the strained relationship between a son and father and then shots of the son when he's older wallowing about dwelling on it all. This part is played by Sean Penn and he is billed higher than Jessica Chastain despite his complete lack of screen time.I don't want to say this is a bad film as it is all acquired to taste but for me it was dull, boring and frustrating. The cinematography may be great in parts but it all makes no sense what so ever. If you like Malick then watch but if you don't then save your time for something else.
October 30, 2016
The Tree of Life may have been the movie that led to Terrence Malick's descent into the deep end of late, but if any movie were to do that it might as well be as good as this. The Tree of Life is filled with captivating visuals that are as equal in beauty as they are intense. With this film Malick pulls off what may be his masterpiece with philosophies strewn throughout that will be debated by viewers for years to come.
October 17, 2016
A film that doesn't feel like one. Here we have a simple story of a family growing up and a part during the 1950's. How often have you watched that plot unfold? Terrence Malick completely reinvents the way we would view a story as simple as that. It is just a wonder to behold and extremely unconventional. Fair warning, it is NOT for everyone, especially the first 30 minutes, which tests the viewer's patience. Maybe the best film of the year.
½ October 11, 2016
The forces of human life and natures life, and life itself. Visually masterpiece with the touch of every human emotion, in a gripping yet abstract grain of trying-to-do-the-right-thing. Back and forth, from the very beginning to the death, through the sorrow and into the light. Everything changes constantly, adjust your life to the motion of the wind.
½ October 8, 2016
Saw the great reviews when it first was out on DVD so I rented it and realized soon into it that the liberal reviewing elite snobbery pushed another work of condescending down our thoughts and then held our mouths closed until we were forced to swallow. Sean Penn has devolved into a blithering idiot on screen and off. Any movie he is in will often be a waste of time. Just more Hollywood elitist crap, "if you don't get it, then something is wrong with you." No, something is wrong with this movie. It sucks.
½ October 8, 2016
Obscenely over rated. Boring, pretentious and one of the biggest cinematic wastes of time.
September 26, 2016
Not since "2001: A Space Odyssey" has a movie been so worthy of being called "art." Terrence Malik has without a doubt created the greatest and most fascinating cinematic masterpiece of the 21st century.