The Trial of Old Drum - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Trial of Old Drum Reviews

September 30, 2012
good movie with some really big names
August 4, 2012
The child actors sucked.
May 28, 2011
Different/Not Bad/Kinda Liked.
September 16, 2010
looks like a nice story
July 16, 2008
it is the best movie and its sad
½ May 22, 2008
great movie. I re-saw it last year or this year.
August 14, 2007
Randy Travis stars in this film.
½ July 30, 2007
oh my god. it had the most teary-eyed boy I've ever seen in my entire life. I liked it, though, it made me cry, like, five times.
May 28, 2007
Love dogs? Love law? Love family rivalry? Then this movie is definitely for you. Based on a true story this movie is about a young boy named Charlie trying to save his dog when his family member well.. let's just say he's not too keen on Drum. Great movie.
February 25, 2007
this was an awesome movie!
½ January 14, 2007
amazing movie, the kid is about to lose his dog because ppl say that the dog is killing sheep and they had to go to court about it and they won!!!!
December 13, 2006
good story, cute dog
October 24, 2006
Is this the dog out of Air Bud? Must be a sort of comeback for him
½ March 19, 2004
Based on actual events, The Trial of Old Drum is a story that depicts the bond between a boy and his dog and the turn of events over one summer that threatened to tear them apart. While I would stop just shy of calling the film a classic, its messages regarding family values, courage, honesty, integrity, and love certainly provide a heartwarming family viewing experience.

The script is riddled with clichés to be sure. But there is earnestness in the delivery and, given the 1950?s era setting, an innocence that is endearing. When Ron Perlman delivers a line about bullies not being as tough as you think if you just stand up to them it transcends hokey and feels right for the time.

The cast includes a pack of recognizable character actors. In addition to Perlman (Blade 2, Enemy At The Gates, Hellboy) the cast includes Bobby Edner (Spy Kids 3-D), Scott Bakula (American Beauty, Netforce), John Schuck (Dick Tracy, Curse of the Jade Scorpion), Dick Martin (Laugh-In), and Randy Travis (Black Dog, Texas Rangers) as the narrator.

The DVD bonus features are few ? a standard making-of feature and a handful of deleted scenes.

Originally aired on Animal Planet, The Trial of Old Drum is a fair family feature, particularly enjoyable if you are a firm believer in the adage that a dog is man?s best friend.