The Tribes of Palos Verdes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Tribes of Palos Verdes Reviews

½ December 28, 2017
Rent this if you have seen everything you wanted to see and are just looking for a diversion. Otherwise, save your money.

The movie is about infidelity, drug use, surfing, greedy Californians, etc. I challenge you to figure it out. At first, it's about a family that moves from the midwest to coastal California. The kids are high school aged and finding their way in the world despite turmoil at home. They don't seem to go to school or work or have any purpose in life. The wife is a homemaker who didn't want to move to California, the husband is a physician with a tendency to seek a newer model.

The movie is mostly directionless. Jennifer Garner plays a hysterical, spurned wife who can't move on after her husband decamps to live with another member of their country club.

The daughter, Madina, develops a physical relationship with the son of the husband's new girlfriend. I'm not sure why.

The son, Jim, links up with some druggies masquerading as surfers. This decision eventually proves fatal.

I question why Garner did this movie. The plot seems too close to home.
December 2, 2017
This film has amazing performances and all characters played their scripts so well! Definitely a deep and heartfelt movie. A must watch!!
December 2, 2017
It was like the Ice Storm meets Ordinary people. So heartbreaking. Each character well played.
½ December 1, 2017
what a poopfest! failure at all levels of filmmaking.
November 25, 2017
Great book, even better movie! Loved it!!
November 21, 2017
Amazing film. One of the best I've ever seen.