The Trouble with Bliss - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Trouble with Bliss Reviews

½ October 20, 2014
sympathitiko me kali mousiki
½ August 27, 2014
Chris Messina's cowboy outfit saved this movie.
August 26, 2014
Morris Bliss (Michael C. Hall), aged 35, wants to travel but he has no money. He needs to find a job but has no prospects. Bliss still shares an apartment with his widowed father Seymour Bliss (Peter Fonda) and the premature death of his mother is still present and has left him emotionally closed. Randomly he finds himself in an odd relationship with the sexually precocious 18-year-old Stephanie Jouseski (Brie Larson), the daughter of a former classmate, Steven 'Jetski' Jouseski (Brad William Henke) and juggling advances of his very forward neighbor (Lucy Liu). Morris static life suddenly unravels and opens up in ways that are long overdue....

"The Trouble with Bliss" is a grown up coming of age story, nothing new storyline wise for sure, but this is odd, funny, not 100% coherent and logic, but yet mesmerising somehow. Michael C. Hallīs loser Morris ends up in maybe things and situations that I might not fully buy, but due to great acting from the ensemble it still works. The idea of being stuck in dreams/hopes and not being able to take action is something we all can relate to. We might need that little extra push from fate that puts us in the right direction like in Morris case and the catalyst in the shape of the cute Stephanie (a great and stunning Brie Larson). Maybe not a logic situation/storyline, but in Hollywood anything can happen. And the same goes for Morris interaction with his neighbor Andrea (Lucy Liu). But, the side story that makes no sense at all in my book is the one between NJ (Chris Messina) and Hattie Skunk/Hattie Rockworth (Sarah Shahi). Itīs just one big question mark for me, even if it was nice to see a radiant Sarah Shahi. "The Trouble with Bliss" stood out despite its flaws and it entertained me through the running time.
May 23, 2014
Don't know why the critics get so uptight about laidback slice-of-films likes these. The performances are a joy. One never gets tired of this highly passive protagonist because Michael C. Hall is one of the finest less-is-more actors out there. The rest of the cast is topnotch. And there's a generous sprinkling of endearing as well as laugh out loud moments throughout the film. And before critics begin to think they're the only discerning viewers out there, we're not members of the hoi polloi who get off on Katherine Heigl rom coms. We look for good cinema, and this one is more than good enough. Well worth my time.Weird - critics get to see films for free and they can't stop carping, while we pay to see a film like this and get so much more pleasure out of it. You'd think it would be the other way around.
½ April 26, 2014
Slow at times and the leas character is self-indulgent, its irritates me.
½ March 30, 2014
Some people take longer to grow up than others, blissfully unaware of the exasperation they radiate on those around.
½ March 30, 2014
In "The Trouble with Bliss," the problem with Morris(Michael C. Hall) is not that he is still living with his father(Peter Fonda) but that he has never traveled anywhere, much less complete the simplest of tasks such as getting new keys made or groceries. To be totally unfair, Morris does have an 18-year old girlfriend, Stephanie(Brie Larson), which might possibly be explained by probable daddy issues, since Morris might have once known her father(Brad William Henke).

"The Trouble with Bliss" is a fine starting place with a cool cast that also includes Sarah Shahi and Lucy Liu, of which Peter Fonda and Brie Larson fare the best to nobody's surprise. And it's nice that it references Forbidden Planet(the store, not the movie) and Homage to Catalonia. But that's it. I mean, overall the movie is as listless and lacking in ambition as its title character and that's no fun at all for anybody.
January 3, 2014
Oddly enough, Bliss kept me interested...maybe because there's nothing on TV this week. But the acting was good, Michael C. Hall was great as usual, and theplot evolved slowly but satisfactorily. Certainly a very different kind of film...always nice to see Peter Fonda.
½ September 1, 2013
I really need to stop buying movies because there's an actor in it who I really like
August 9, 2013
I only really rented it because of Michael C. Hall, whom I love in "Dexter". But this movie is as aimless as the main protagonist. I really had no idea where it was going and the ending felt incomplete and forced. Like they knew they spent an hour-and-a-half building up to what is supposed to be a breakthrough time for Morris but they didn't know what to do with it, so it ends with little more than a dull thud as it fails to really make any kind of meaningful statement. Skip it.
August 8, 2013
This movie is rather slow and pointless, but the characters are so outrageous that you have to go on this journey with them. That being said it is completely forgettable once the movie ends.
½ August 1, 2013
I LOVE Brie Larson but I'm a little mad she always gets the short end of the stick; don't get me wrong--she's a phenomenal and hilarious supporting actress (Scott Pilgrim, 21 Jump Street, and upcoming Spectacular Now and Don Jon), but I am so ready for her to have a lead role. Though my girl is still lovable and quirky in this flick, the movie as a whole seems to fall flat due to the rest of the cast and the boring plot.
April 7, 2013
I seem to be going through a phase of loving every movie I see. It surely can't last!
This is a quirky little film, but I really enjoyed it. Story does go off a little at times, but it's mostly good with excellent cast and likeable or interesting characters.
February 19, 2013
apie vyrus kuriuos islaiko tevai, kurie dulkina savo draugu dukras. nesusipratimas kazkoks
½ February 9, 2013
Big fan of Michael C Hall ... but a boring movie is a boring movie - just not good enought - oh well was a free movie ... Lol don't bother - sure hope the book was better!!
½ January 24, 2013
The Trouble With Bliss is both a funny and touching dramedy that while not the first movie to ever enter the world of the coming-of-age genre, still manages to stand on its own two feet. The story, which is based on Douglas Light's novel, East Fifth Bliss, has largely been met with mixed reviews by critics and audiences alike. More than likely the reason for those mixed reviews is that while the story isn't the first of the coming-of-age genre, it doesn't exactly fit into the standard mold of said style. The concept of an unemployed thirty-something living at home with his father while dating an eighteen-year old is humorous. But what sets the story apart from others in its genre is its ability to balance that quirky standard story with the deeper and more emotional father-son dynamic, which is ultimately at the heart of the entire story. Though, this isn't made entirely clear until the story's end. This perhaps is what led to so many critics and viewers panning this underrated story.

The Trouble With Bliss is an underrated story in that it's one of those works that isn't spoon-fed to viewers. Audiences think they know everything about Morris' blissfully (get the title now?) ignorant lifestyle through most of the movie. But it isn't until the story's end that viewers discover that instead of living in bliss, he has been living in denial all along. That denial is centered in his relationship-or lack thereof-with his father (played by Peter Fonda). He isn't stuck at home with his father. He has made the choice to live there. It can be argued in understanding this and looking back at the story that it is his mother not being there that has led Morris to be living with his father at thirty-five years old and dating an eighteen-year old. Having only had his father for parental guidance through his youth, that was all that Morris ever knew. So it became his comfort zone. Understanding this makes Morris something of an underdog type of figure; a sympathetic character so to speak. He becomes a figure that audiences might not have rooted for had they not had this knowledge. What really makes his an underdog figure in hindsight is why his mother is not in the picture. That reveal in the story's final minutes is perhaps the culmination of everything that audiences experienced leading up to that point.

Some audiences might ask if this is the case, why he started acting as an adult before that moment. The answer is that what happened as a result of his interactions with Stephanie and Andrea was just the catalyst that he had needed to start realizing and growing as a person. His whole life up until that point was ignorant bliss. Finally having been faced with a situation that forced him out of his comfort zone, it acted as a kick in the pants so to speak. That eventually lead to the deepest center of what had led to his first introduction to audiences. The result is that it leads to hindsight among audiences and in turn will lead them to see he's really quite the underdog character. And in understanding all of this one can only hope that those who criticized the movie will take all of this hindsight and give the movie a second chance and see it for the underrated and underappreciated work that it is.
½ January 18, 2013
It really has a lousy script and the characters are hard to latch onto. I love Michael C. Hall but he seems lost in this movie. Seeing his butt in this movie was a highlight, can't lie! Other than that it was hard to become entertained by this movie...
January 5, 2013
Absolutely love Michel C. Hall!
January 5, 2013
FCC ex. X xcfmhsasydjehejejdksjnassssssqa
½ January 3, 2013
Love Michael C. Hall.. But couldn't make it through this one.