The Truth About Emanuel - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Truth About Emanuel Reviews

½ June 6, 2016
The Truth About Emanuel 2014. This is a good film and had the soundtrack been different it could have been a horror movie. This is an easy watch that is also easy on the eyes with three women in varying degrees of crazy. I think movie pays off in the end so viewers aren't left with a big WTF like so many other films of this kind.
½ April 5, 2016
Real, demanding and truthful. Painful most of all.
½ March 16, 2016
I don't know why, but this felt like a Lifetime made-for-TV movie to me. I went to this film's Wikipedia page expecting for it to have actually been commissioned as a TV movie. And I don't mean that in a derisive manner, the last Lifetime-esque TV movie I saw, which was actually a Lifetime TV movie, Big Driver, wasn't a half-bad movie. And this is the same way, this ends up being average at best. I don't know, while there's certain parts of the film that I liked, like Emanuel and Linda complimenting each other, Linda being the mother that Emanuel never got to know and Emanuel sort of acting as Linda's daughter after her own baby died in an accident. But there's also a part of me that feels that the movie is a little shallow and it stretches scenes longer than they technically should've gone. I get the whole Linda using a baby doll as a coping mechanism, but how much mileage can you really get out of that? Like they literally went over an hour with this and you just wanted them to get the point by, like, the 45 minute mark. Sadly, however, there's still 30 more minutes until they actually do something about it. And I sort of get why did what they did. Emanuel kept coming over to take care of Linda's 'baby' because Em loved spending time with her. If she bursts her bubble and tells Linda that it's actually a doll, then Em wouldn't be needed around. I get that. But it just takes way too long to get to the point. And when it does, it's not really satisfying. They're only confirming what you've known all along, pretty much. The character of Linda has some intrigue until you find out that she's pretending that the doll is her real daughter and that's about it. After that, you pretty much fill in the blanks on you're own and, really, 99.9% of you will hit the nail right on the head with your guesses. So there's nothing wrong with predicting how everything's gonna play out and being right, but the problem comes in the fact that the movie just really isn't that enjoyable to watch. Like I said, it's average at best, but I just didn't enjoy watching this very much. The character of Emanuel, to me, just isn't that well-written and she comes across more as unlikable as opposed to being just another troubled teen. Those two are really close to each other and it's really easy to think you're writing a troubled character when you really are writing an unlikable one. They're definitely gonna share a lot of the same traits, but, somehow, I just didn't like the character. And this is the character itself, because I thought Kaya Scodelario did a really good job in this movie. Jessica Biel, as well, did a fantastic job here, but I didn't find the movie to be that emotionally satisfying. This, essentially, builds to the moment where both Linda and Emanuel learn to let go and attempt to move on. It's supposed to be this touching, emotional moment, but it just didn't do anything for me. I have no idea why. Maybe it's cause the characters themselves don't feel fully formed, or because they waited so long to get to this point, but I felt nothing. Shame too because, while a bit hokey, there's something that you could've done with these two grieving characters and how they help each other live their lives and move on. But it just didn't reach a great level. Hell, it didn't even reach a good one. Disappointing, since the acting from Kaya and Jessica is so strong. Maybe the events surrounding them are a little dramatic, but the acting is still really strong. The writing is a little bit underwhelming, but not terrible, it's just shallow and dramatically hollow. There's a certain disconnect, since the review makes this movie seem worse than it is. It really is an average movie, but there's average movies that I've enjoyed. This isn't one of them, so, therefore, I can't exactly recommend this. Strong acting, nothing else.
½ March 11, 2016
I'm not sure why so many people hated this movie but I really liked it! (And I'm very particular)

It was very interesting. I guess in a nutshell its about a loss so heavy it nearly drives you mad...but just before it does...you meet someone with the same exact hole or sadness. Together you learn to cope and heal even in the most unorthodox of ways.

It's worth checking out for sure...especially if you like an original storyline, great acting, and an overall original film with a satisfying ending.
January 21, 2016
Weird but entertaining movie
November 30, 2015
This movie is effectively weird with a strange creepiness to it. Its very well made
½ October 5, 2015
kinda cliche and not too scary
½ September 14, 2015
Very intriguing as the movie pulls you into the ending with a lot of suspense but fails to give the desired ending
September 13, 2015
It's hard to clearly comprehend what is the moral of this bewildering story about a troubled teen.
August 7, 2015
Strange tale of a teen and a woman, who are struggling with grief and loss, trying to learn to let go.
½ June 21, 2015
Lovely, atmospheric and feminine in the best sense (as opposed to "Welcome To Me"). Extra half star or so to counteract how sadly underrated the film is.
June 7, 2015
One insanely bizarre film that seems interesting... until the mystery is actually revealed.
½ May 20, 2015
Não é um dos melhores filmes do mundo, mas é assistível. Achei interessante a proposta e até mesmo o desenrolar final da trama.
½ May 17, 2015
Such a strange movie I'm confused why I watched it
March 27, 2015
This one keeped me interested till the end , a pitty the ending was a bit a disapointment !
March 14, 2015
I have no idea why this movie scored so low as this was a very mind twisting story as the film unfolded. A story about two people, internally haunted and agonized by past events, where the one helps another bury her past, as well as her own, with a symbolic action.
January 19, 2015
É incrível como a Jessica Biel não consegue um papel que preste, eu gosto dela, a acho linda, mas os filmes que ela faz, meu Deus, acho que apenas o Ilusionista eu gostei. Sobre esse filme, a ideia é interessante, mas o andamento e a atuação da Kaya deixam muito a desejar...
½ October 25, 2014
I believe that this film has received low ratings purely because people did not understand it, or did not choose to. It is assuredly off-beat and eccentric in its exploration of psychological illness, teen angst, and societal judgment; but, I believe that Francesca Gregorini has succeeded in creating a uniquely fascinating coming of age story.

Emanuel is a troubled teen who blames herself for the death of her mother in childbirth. She is notably troubled, filled with self importance, and has trouble connecting with others. Linda moves into the neighborhood and reaches out to Emanuel; but their subsequent closeness causes Emanuel's parents to be concerned.

I will not give away the big reveal that occurs roughly halfway through the film, but I am sure that much of the audience becomes uncomfortable and outraged around that time. When viewed seriously, however, this film brings to light an issue that isn't often discussed.

There is some superb acting in this movie. Both Jessica Biel and Kaya Scodelario (much better than any Kristen Stewart, in my opinion) do an outstanding job. I have also fallen a little in love with Aneurin Barnard who plays Claude. I noticed him before when he starred in television's The White Queen. He's a bit like Elijah Wood, only more mysterious. I hope to see lots more of him in future.
½ October 4, 2014
It's not a bad premise, but it never really gets going with two lost souls finding each other, however the plot is never really built upon and it ends before it feels like it has started.
½ September 30, 2014
not the best Kaya Scodelario film after Skins because I find this way too heavy-handed with it's melodrama tone. It's unbearable to watch for me.

I only watched this because I loved Kaya in Skins.