The Truth About Youth - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Truth About Youth Reviews

Antonius Block
½ June 20, 2017
It's always nice to see Myrna Loy and Loretta Young, and despite portions of the story being cliché, there's nothing really wrong with the plot of this relatively short movie. David Manners plays a young man who is intended for Young, but finds himself seduced by Loy, who is a nightclub performer and gold-digger. Unfortunately, the execution of the film is sub-par: too much of the dialog is overly polished and doesn't ring true, and there's something that's just 'off'. I think it's Manners as well as Conway Tearle, who plays his foster father. I wasn't wild about Loy's nightclub performances which are clearly dubbed, and what a gold opportunity director William A. Seiter had there. Young expresses hidden desire for Tearle well, and there is also some nice comic relief from a couple of friends of his (J. Farrell MacDonald and Harry Stubbs), but it's not enough to make this a good movie. A better one from 1930 with boy Loy and Young that you probably would enjoy more is 'The Devil to Pay!', which also starred Ronald Colman.
January 2, 2013
myrna loy shines in this early pre-code talkie.
½ December 12, 2010
Now that they've got the page up for this movie I can't hardly remember it. I gave it a low rating at the time I saw it, so I must not have been very impressed by it. This is a romantic drama, and it has a couple of good actor, which was probably the reason I watched it.