The Turn of the Screw Reviews

• Aug 17, 2011

If you like strange films that make you think with lots of obscure imagery this film is for you. I found it quite interesting, yet I was multi-tasking at the time of my observation of it.

• Jun 02, 2009

Ehhh... don't waste your time!

Ehhh... don't waste your time!

• Nov 17, 2008

My all time favorite ghost story. Actually, one of my all time favorite films. There are so many small touches, excellent acting from Kensit & Sands, but also from every supporting character, especially the little boy... I wish i could find it on DVD =(

• Nov 27, 2007

Fabulously spooky haunting tale with a creepy gothic erotic feel. Starring Patsy Kensit (cheesy wotsit) - she brings an impressive array of emotions to her role as the young nanny.

• Nov 18, 2007

The actual reading of it is better.

The actual reading of it is better.

• Sep 12, 2007

Very spooky and unsettling. Patsy Kensit is good. The children are perfectly creepy. The whole feel of the movie is quite eerie. The art direction and score add a lot to the atmosphere.

• Sep 07, 2007

A loyal adaptation that takes some artistic risks. If you haven't read the book, I don't recommend you watch this movie.

• Aug 26, 2007

By completely re-setting the story in the 1960s instead of the early 1800s, this adaptation can't claim to be faithful in detail, but it's the most faithful adaptation in terms of atmosphere. The ambiguity and mystery so important to the novella more or less makes its way onto the screen, and the cast is right on.

• Lafe F Super Reviewer
    Aug 24, 2007

My favorite adaptation of Turn of the Screw. The story is told in flashback, by an old woman (Marianne Faithful) in a support group; it's not until the end when we discover her role within the tale. Unlike the original tale, it's set in the 1960's - but once we find our way to the isolated country estate, it might as well be the 1890's. The child actors are perfectly creepy and believable; it's quite unsettling when they get corrupted by the evil ghosts of the mansion. I loved Patsy Kensit in the role of the governess; she brought innocence, fear, tenderness and paranoia to the role. It was too cool seeing Julian Sands as the trippy absent uncle, I wished he was in the story some more. This movie is brimming with atmosphere, due to the immense shadowy detailed mansion setting, the freaky editing, and the haunting and disturbing musical score. They've integrated a musical box theme throughout which fits the innocence corrupted theme nicely. The ghostly appearances are geuninely spooky and unsettling. There are some scary dream sequences. The scenes build up momentum to the powerful conclusion. Very rewatchable! A DVD release is past-due.