The Two Faces of January - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Two Faces of January Reviews

½ November 8, 2017
Intriguing and tragic tale. The tension is palpable at every step once the truth is exposed. The narrative would have been greatly improved if subtitles had been used to let us immerse ourselves in all the suspense.
½ September 13, 2017
Two American con-men try to out maneuver each other in Greece as they run from the police and vy for the affections of the wife of one of them. Death seems to follow them and tie them inextricably together. The men begrudgingly respect each other as they realize how much alike they are.The story is decent, but the pace is too slow for me.
½ September 9, 2017
Very average. I finished it in the hopes that something interesting would happen at the end, but I was sadly disappointed.
August 19, 2017
'The Two Faces of January' is an intriguing, slow-burning story that is very much a character driven affair making the superb acting from Mortensen, Durst and Isaac absolutely necessary in its successful execution. And although it lacks tension, the beautiful cinematography, solid plot and great cast make it a decent directorial debut from Amini.
July 22, 2017
After he kills a detective, a con artist (Viggo Mortensen) and his wife (Kirsten Dunst) must trust a potentially dangerous stranger (Oscar Isaac) to help them get out of Greece.
½ July 16, 2017
So Hitchcock, its unbelievable, now I feel like a real film buff after reading everyone else's reviews. I think its fabulous, adventures and having a very comfortable Hitchcock ending which is very viewer friendly. I am not saying the outcome is ideal. What I am trying to say is that the way the ending is filmed, is what the viewers would expect of Hitchcock or any classic movie (of course its not like A Wonderful Life) but a classical ending.
Viggo is a great actor, no one can deny that. But Oscar Isaac. I mean there is something special about that guy. No one knows what it is. He brought charm to , this movie, Star Wars, he is the next sensation in hollywood. Chris Pratt, Ansel Elgort, Ellar Coltrane yeah, but the 38 year old Oscar is the one who people are gonna read about in 2117 (100 years from now) . Oscar Isaac is gonna be the next sensation of world cinema.
February 17, 2017
The adaptation of Patricia Highsmith's novel intrigues and holds spellbound with the leading men's seductive duende, devious machinations and an exotically picturesque locale.
January 11, 2017
82% Certified Fresh & on tv tonight @ 19-10 on Film4
½ January 8, 2017
Two very watchable main actors in a good twisty turny plot. I liked it!
½ December 2, 2016
It was good, bout an all to familiar story line
½ December 1, 2016
There are elements in The Two Faces of January that make it close to being great, but the flaws in execution hold it back from attaining that greatness. The best part of this movie is the plot, and how it twists and turns and keeps you on your toes. That is what hooked me and had me anxious to see what was next. To set it up for you, an American husband and wife are visiting Athens and run into a young American tour guide. We quickly learn that the husband and wife aren't exactly there on vacation, but to hide out. Soon the tour guide gets caught in the husband's ever-expanding web of misdeeds, and the three must work together to escape. While the plot isn't the most original, I still was intrigued by it and wasn't 100% sure which way they would go. The other big positive in this film was the trio of lead actors. Oscar Isaac might be the best of the bunch. He is so charming that you can see why unsuspecting tourists might not clue into some of his subtle deception. Viggo Mortensen gets to play a slimy character that is basically the villain of the film. He's nasty and easy to hate, yet you can sense that he has a morality in him. Kirsten Dunst doesn't get as much to do in the film, but when she is on screen I like how she elevates her role.

The flaw in this film is in some of the decisions made behind the camera. I thought the story had enough intrigue to keep me interested, but they didn't create a good mystery, when they easily could have. In other words, I didn't know what was going to happen next, but because of the presentation I knew everything that happened before. There were scenes that should have been removed which would have left the story intact but given the audience more to think about. For instance (and this isn't a spoiler because it happens pretty early in the film) the husband kills a private detective who was looking for him, and then the tour guide happens upon him trying to take care of the body. If we were not shown the scene of the murder we would be left in the dark and allowed to puzzle through what happened up until we saw that scene. There are other subtle things that I thought could have been cleaned up in the way the story was presented, but it would sound like nitpicking. All it amounted to was enough minor flaws to keep The Two Faces of January from being something special. It is a decent film, and I am glad I saw it. I think others will get some enjoyment out of it if they watch it, but I don't know how highly I would recommend it.
November 25, 2016
Two Faces of January is a beautiful film with complex characters and gripping dialogue. Definitely a must see.
Grade: B+
½ October 23, 2016
Average. I mainly watched for Kirsten Dunst. *****mild spoiler***** I wasn't too impressed when she exits the film one hour in. Chester and Rydel were not interesting enough to carry the movie on their own.
It's certainly not badly made, but it felt like there should have been a twist or something at the end, and there just wasn't. I didn't even really get why Chester helped at the end. What was in it for him at that point?
½ October 5, 2016
Viggo y Oscar Isaac juntos... algo así como todo lo que está bien en la actuación.
September 24, 2016
Disappointing, but there's a nice touch at the end.
½ September 16, 2016
I really enjoyed this thriller. It keeps you hooked all the way along. Well worth seeing.
September 14, 2016
One of the classic "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" stories. The cast and writing are great but the pacing is a little slow.
June 23, 2016
Pretty good and entertaining, fresh feeling too.
April 17, 2016
This is a film that should've been great, it's based on a book by Patricia Highsmith("Talented Mr. Ripley", "Strangers on a Train"), has an exotic location, and two great stars in Viggo Mortensen and Oscar Isaac, yet it didn't reach its full potential. There are parts that dragged and I think there was room for improvements, but good effort for first-time director. Luckily, it's not terribly long, so was worth a watch.
½ April 3, 2016
Quite a good tense thriller.