The Ugly Dachshund Reviews

• Jun 16, 2017

This is one of the lesser known Disney live action films. Its actually pretty entertaining and pretty cute. The dogs are well trained and are super cute. Dean Jones does good as always in these Disney films. The plot is pretty entertaining. A great dane who has an identity crisis. This film is pretty funny and is great for all audiences. Just like all other Disney films, perfect for the whole family. Rating: 8.1/10

• Jun 15, 2017

I feel like I'm the only one who watched this movie as a kid. I watched it more recently and it's still so cute and charming. Brutus just steals my heart.

• Dec 28, 2016

loved this as a kid now it's OK

loved this as a kid now it's OK

• Dec 23, 2016

Watching this film reminded me of the white clamshell VHS cases of all the 60s and 70s Disney films at the video store during my video store clerk days (i.e. "Candleshoe," "North Avenue Irregulars", "Blackbeard's Ghost," etc.). Like most of those films, this film is not exactly a classic, but were typically inoffensive and easily forgettable comedies. Dean Jones and Suzanne Pleshette play dog owners raising their respective dogs to eventually show at competitions, but Pleshette's dachshund cause all sorts of trouble that Jones' great dane gets blamed for, which is where the film tries to derive most of it's comedy. This film really didn't make me laugh much, but I did watch it with my 4-year old who found the antics of the dogs hilarious and I suppose she was probably more of this film's target audience than I was. Though the best kids films, such as Pixar films, work well for both kids and adults, this film film is squarely targeting kids and and it seems pointless to complain about the film's multiple climaxes, gaps in logic, or the lack of story arc, so I'll just say that kids will probably enjoy this film and adults will at least not be annoyed by the film, which is better than most kids films (I'm looking at you, Minions!). Mako appears as a teenager, which seemed really funny, and Charles Lane appears as a Dog Show Judge. It's also worth mentioning that George Bruns' score was very comforting and familiar, since he seemed to have scored most every Disney film of this era.

• Sep 06, 2016

I thought that it was really silly and hilarious. I thought it was good for someone my age, which is 4 years old.

• Jan 07, 2014

A woman whose award winning champion lapdog Danke has puppies and dreams of a litter of champions, is annoyed when her husband is talked into bringing an abandoned Great Dane puppy who seems to do nothing but mess the house and cause trouble. The film also turns into a witty battle between husband and wife, though it's still not enough to prevent this films from being almost totally dominated by the on screen presence of the cute dogs and the accurate performances the filmmakers were able to get out of them.

• Aug 18, 2013

I'm a sucker for dachshunds.

I'm a sucker for dachshunds.

• Oct 11, 2012

Great "G" family movie if a bit dated. My kids were hysterical watching the dogs create chaos in the house. Dean Jones is lovable as he sticks up for the underdog against a whiny Suzanne Pleshette and her "perfect" dachshunds.

• Jun 10, 2012

This is a classic comedy film everyone is bound to love. The actors fulfill their roles perfectly and in a very humorous manner. Always a favorite.

• Apr 30, 2012

This is a funny family movie, I watched it all the time when i was little.

This is a funny family movie, I watched it all the time when i was little.